SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am adding a V twin back to my garage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am adding a V twin back to my garage Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I’m going to look at this baby tomorrow morning. It appears to be in good shape and owned by a mature individual but I won’t know for sure until I get to inspect it closer tomorrow. I had a candy copper 2003 SV650S and while I didn’t ride it often once I got faster bikes I do miss that bike and it’s glorious 90° engine.

This one is also a 2003 but it’s a 1000cc which interests me and best of all it’s naked. I’ve been considering a Ducati but then I found this and the price is tempting as hell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TLS? Nice bike and a dependable power plant. Nice neutral color too. I had a TL1000R, what a great bike , and the sound is glorious! The S is down a power just a little, but much more comfortable than the R. I also thought about a Ducati, but the maintenance costs are much less on the Suzuki v-twins.

Should it work out for you and if they are still around, TLplanet was a great forum for all things TL. Good luck.

Tony

Posts: 371 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Jealous! I miss my 03' 650. Looked at getting a SV1000 before opting for the Buell I had. Miss that one too...

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 425 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
go find an SV 650. There literally is no more perfect combination in my mind. (he says owning quite a few and racing them since 1999)...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for you to display a scooter with a horological motif. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine had a VX800 back in the 90’s.
That thing was a torque monster.

I’d take the Suzuki over a Ducati, but that’s mainly because there is no Ducati dealer close to me.

Posts: 6346 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I always loved the SV1000, never understood why it was a “short term” bike in Suzuki’s line up, and the naked ones are hard to find.

Get it!!!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10558 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I'm still waiting for you to display a scooter with a horological motif. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I'm still curious about progress on that XS-Eleven project, too, stickman. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13908 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
That Suzuki will treat you well, way better than a Duc will. Smile

Here's my twin, not a V.

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a great looking bike Snapping Twig!

I went and checked it out today. The seller is the original owner! I wasn’t expecting that. Overall it is in pretty good shape. There is a small amount of corrosion on the clutch cover (not too uncommon for Suzuki) but nothing terrible.

My previous SV was absolutely minty and had VERY low miles when I got it. For a 17 year old bike that lived it’s whole life in a garage/barn this SV1000 is pretty nice. The engine sounded amazing! The naked version of the SV is a bit more comfy than the “S” version.

I’ll be bringing it home Sunday! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Definitely don't see many of the SV 1000s anymore.

How many bikes does that make for you, now?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How many do I have? Waaaaaaay too many bikes that’s how many. It’s north of 10 I believe.

I’m selling BMW R1150GS to make room for the SV1000.

What really shocked me today was that I got some movement on an already fantastic price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Outstandingly fun machine! Get it!

I turned my standard '99 into an intended track-day, ersatz rice-burning cafe racer. It looked good, but the standard seating position was lots more enjoyable on the street. I eventually sold it due to an electrical gremlin that only manifested itself on day-long group rides or vacation trips to
north Georgia/NC.

Hope you don't mind me posting pictures:

Posts: 16206 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Post away my friend!!! That is a gorgeous SV! I was hoping I could find a blue or candy burning copper 2003 SV1000n but it looks pretty good in silver too.

I’m thinking I might paint it in Suzuki’s current MotoGP blue & neon colors with a hint of silver from the frame to give a nod to Suzuki’s first ever MotoGP Championship winning colors (blue/silver). Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of good v-twins on the market, for a personalised cafe/custom build.

Your plan for the Suzuki would look excellent in the MotoGP colors.

You always do great work.

I've been looking at a V-twin project as well.

I had an enjoyable time with a Yamaha XV750 Virago a ways back ... thinking along the lines of a cafe/custom.

Envisaging something like this:

source: bikebrewers.com

Keep posting!!

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
You say Virago?

Here's my first bike, an 85 700 that was a hand-me-down from my FIL.

Good bike, sorry I let it go!

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
cjevans, that is a great looking bike!! Some of the before and after pics of Virago custom builds are just wild. I think you have a very good idea to get a Virago as it is a fantastic base for a bike build and it doesn’t take a lot to improve its looks.

These before and after pics of custom Virago bikes are amazing. You could easily scoop up a used Virago for VERY little money (I’ve come close to getting one myself) and either go mild or wild with your build.

If you look closely you’ll notice on two of the below Virago builds they didn’t even have to get a different gas tank they just changed the original tank orientation on the bike.

Before/after

Before/after

Before/after

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
That 2003 Suzuki sounds like a fun bike. Get it!

I enjoy my V twin.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
C'mon, stick, you know you really want a V-4. Cool

https://raleigh.craigslist.org...-57k/7225245046.html

God bless America.

Posts: 13908 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post