SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am adding a V twin back to my garage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am adding a V twin back to my garage Login/Join 
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement.

Now back to your potential build.

Have you considered a build color in tribute to the late great Barry Sheene's RG500?

That blue and white tribute livery would make a great look?

I'm considering yellow/black tribute colors of the YZR500 era ... just to have you thinking some!

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
2003 is an odd year. First year for FI. Aftermarket seats are harder to find for that year. The solo seat cover is nice. The radiator scoop is like a "sport" model but it does not have the nice sport fairing. I prefer the sport fairing and lighting. I think that you would be better off keeping the R bike. There is nothing wrong with the SV1000 but I would never swap a BMW for a SV1000. I would only add the SV1000. If it fit me. That is why I sold my 2003 SV650S.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The oddities are exactly why I sought out another 2003 SV but with the bigger engine. The high tail on the 2003 looks so much better than the lower tail 2004+ SV’s. The BMW is nice but it’s just not my style, it’s too heavy and big and built for adventures and long trips which I don’t have any time for currently. I do mostly 1-2 hour spirited blasts out to the rolling countryside that’s full of twisties and while the big BMW GS is a shockingly good handling bike a naked SV1000 is going to be way more fun the majority of the riding I do.

I’ve been looking for a SV1000n for a long time. While this one isn’t perfect the price is so good I’d be a moron not to scoop it up. Even if it costs me the big BMW it’s worth it. The SV1000n (naked) is not an easy bike to find at a decent price in my neck of the woods. If I get bored in a few years I’ll be able to sell it and easily brake even. If I’m patient selling it like I was with my last SV I’ll very likely make some money. Cool

cjevans, I love the colors on Sheene’s Suzuki. I think there might be a version of the new GSX-R sold in the U.K. in the past few years that has a very similar throwback livery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Chris you were right. Those colors look good on a newer bike. Not sure a naked bike could pull it off as well as this Gixx 750.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
One more day and beautiful silver SV is coming to is new forever home. I regret selling my SV650S and won’t repeat that mistake no matter how tempting the next bike seems.

I did some digging and I think I’m going to buy a spare gas tank and plastics. This bike will look just stunning in Suzuki’s current MotoGP blue with neon accents. I saw one someone built in Europe but didn’t save the pic and now for the life of me I can’t find it.

Question, I’m also getting two spare oem mufflers that have had about half of the internal baffles removed. My old SV had a similar bafflectomy (is that even a word? Big Grin) and it didn’t ever get a reflash and ran pretty well. Will swapping cans hurt the engine by making it run lean?

I think ultimately I will get a full exhaust and tune but in the interim is it ok to run the gutted exhaust for short rides?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Probably not much different than a slipon exhaust, which doesn't typically require a tune, like a full system does.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
A terrible mistake has been corrected. This right here is one of my biggest regrets in life.

That said, if I never made that mistake this would never have happened.

Isn’t she gorgeous? Big Grin Cool

This is pretty cool, when I sold my candy copper SV650S it’s owner came from Lexington NC. This new SV came from....wait for it...the Lexington region of NC. The symmetry of this situation is just beautiful.

I know my way around a SV pretty well. It looks like an SV650S gas tank will fit on a SV1000. It is going to be pretty darn easy for me to change the color of this bike to candy burning copper or Suzuki’s BEAUTIFUL MotoGP blue colors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good lookin' bike but I'm kind of biased since I also own a silver motorcycle.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You did it. Good on ya!

I went unintendedly bushwacking on Roebling Road one track day with that SV650. Just stood up on the pegs and rode it out, up and over a berm and back down to a safe re-entry onto the track. (I wasn't totally cognizant of trackday etiquette and safety rules back then.)

The instructor said he'd never seen someone go that far off without falling down. After correcting my poor choices.

Posts: 16206 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Richard, is a CBR600RR a decent first track bike? I have one that looks pretty awful and is expendable. How much worse of a choice is it compared to the mighty SV six fiddy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Handsome bike Stickman!

Ride it in good health. Smile

The Duc would have run good... for a while till it broke your heart and needed parts made from unobtanium.

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Richard, is a CBR600RR a decent first track bike? I have one that looks pretty awful and is expendable. How much worse of a choice is it compared to the mighty SV six fiddy?

Yes, it would be. They'r e just different rides.

The Schwantz School had SV650's and GSXR600's to ride. They encouraged guys to try the twins; apparently first-timers thought they only wanted the inline fours.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 16206 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
V twins on the track are the only way to go!

Nice ride Stick!
Get on that bike and ride! (To quote Queen)

Posts: 5060 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rainman I will own a Ducati one day.

Interesting fact: the week after I sold my SV650 I posted this on the SV FB page. Every single prediction came true except for the color....and that can be easily changed. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for you to join the club. Come ride mine,
You will never be the same!

Posts: 5060 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 425 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rainman, will do! My wife actually said “you better not begin bitching about wanting a $9000 Ducati anytime soon now that you got your beloved Suzuki back again!” Big Grin Big Grin

If I’m ever in your neck of the woods I’ll let you know. I think we would have an absolute blast riding. Let me know if you are ever in central NC and we will carve up some twisties. I live literally minutes from rolling countryside that is full of twisty roads. Cool

I’m sure we will meet at COTA in the future. That is a pilgrimage of sorts for me along with the IOM and Mugello.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Rainman, will do! My wife actually said “you better not begin bitching about wanting a $9000 Ducati anytime soon now that you got your beloved Suzuki back again!” Big Grin Big Grin

If I’m ever in your neck of the woods I’ll let you know. I think we would have an absolute blast riding. Let me know if you are ever in central NC and we will carve up some twisties. I live literally minutes from rolling countryside that is full of twisty roads. Cool

I’m sure we will meet at COTA in the future. That is a pilgrimage of sorts for me along with the IOM and Mugello.

IOM is on my bucket list.
Might be a good place for worlds to collide!
Wink

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I discovered that SV650 plastics will fit on my SV1000. Eek Big Grin

I am DEFINITELY now on the hunt for candy copper or blue 2003 tail plastics and “SV650” stickers. Why am I doing that? I also discovered two aftermarket full titanium exhausts that are 2-1 with a single carbon fiber can. This will shave a LOT of weight (potentially around 25-35 lbs at least) and make my 1000 look almost identical to a SV650 to all but the most hardcore SV enthusiasts.

It’s going to be a hell of a sleeper!

I can just see it now...the look of surprise on other rider faces. “Why the hell is that SV650 accelerating so damn hard and pulling away from me!?!?!?!?” Big Grin

No, it won’t be the fastest thing ever but with a few mods and a hell of a diet and my light rider weight it should surprise a few unsuspecting riders and hopefully hurt some feelings. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~