SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Phone app based remote starters...anyone use one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phone app based remote starters...anyone use one Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Looking to install a remote starter on my wife's Subbie FXT, mainly for the winter months now that I am in NWPA.

I would rather not have another fob taking up space in my pocket so was curious if anyone uses a n app based remote starter. I see Viper makes one not sure who else.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Maybe four or five years ago we had a Viper Smart Start smartphone remote start system installed in an Audi Q5. It was extremely unreliable - it would actually start the car less than half the time and gave no feedback about whether the car had started or not.

They may have improved the system since then, or there may have been a problem with the installation, but we took it back to the installer two or three times and they could never get it to work reliably.

Besides smartphone based systems, some of the third-party remote start kits tie into the car's systems and actually let you use the original remote fob to remote start the car.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
thanks

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with aftermarket, but the factory My GMC app works very reliably on my Yukon. I know that doesn't help your situation, but at least the technology to make it work right does exist.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Wow...just noticed I totally posted this in the wrong room

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Wow...just noticed I totally posted this in the wrong room

Yeah.. I tried one on my Barrett .50 cal. Razz

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
See if these guys make one for your vehicle.

https://www.compustar.com/syst...remote-start-system/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I second the Compustar suggestion by dry-fly.

I went with the standard remote starter from them, but took the app based version for a spin when I was in the installer's showroom. It was done very well.

Honestly I didn't see the need for my application, but after having a factory system in my wife's Ford... the Compustar version was done better. And by having my wife's system to try out, I can start the see the benefits of the app version even more.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am getting a remote start on the wife's newsed car. I asked the installer about the phone start system he installs. $320 for the remote start, $140 for the phone App hardware the $70 a year to App company. We are just getting the basic remote starter that he installs on 95 percent of his customers, I'm not paying $70 a year for an App. These guys are local, have been in business since the 80's, I have used them in the past for phone installs on semi's. I trust their recommendations.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
Am getting a remote start on the wife's newsed car. I asked the installer about the phone start system he installs. $320 for the remote start, $140 for the phone App hardware the $70 a year to App company. We are just getting the basic remote starter that he installs on 95 percent of his customers, I'm not paying $70 a year for an App. These guys are local, have been in business since the 80's, I have used them in the past for phone installs on semi's. I trust their recommendations.

They may be good, but they’re charging too much imo

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Fortin might make one that works with your factory keyfob. It's not phone based but it's a one time charge and nothing extra taking up space.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post