SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pack Rat Problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pack Rat Problem Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Willard.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a chipmunk problem around our house this year.

I'm not sure if this will work for pack rats or not, but what I do is take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it 2/3 full of water. lean a board against the bucket for a ramp. I put a screw in the end to "grab" the edge of the bucket to keep it from falling. Then cover the surface of the water with sunflower seeds and put a few around the bucket and up the ramp.

I put this out on Friday last week, and had 5 dead in 24 hrs. I need to reset it as I saw another one of the little furry terrorists when I was mowing the lawn.

This website has instructions if my explanation isn't clear. https://www.trap-anything.com/...e-chipmunk-trap.html

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have field mice, packrats, and round-tailed ground squirrels for pests. So far, the tractor (only vehicle parked outside) has not suffered any wiring damage, but I opened the hood last year to find hundreds of mesquite seed pods that had been chewed up. Seems the squirrels like to take them up inside there to have their favorite meal, and the tractor is parked right next to a mesquite tree. I had to take an air hose to the engine compartment to get them all out.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
When the bastids eat the wires under the hood of your car you will find your compassion diminished

This big time, my sister started her van, heard a clunk found that a pack rat and a belt make one hell of a mess. He managed to chew through two injector leads before his demise.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ozarkwoods,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Exterminate the brutes...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the presence of Hantavirus, prevalent in Arizona rats and mice.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I repair a fair amount of car wiring chewed by both ground and tree rats. Once I had one with a blower motor noise. I pulled it and found a dead mouse in the housing, its face shredded off by the fan blades. That was very unpleasant.

Posts: 28009 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The electronic rat traps would probably work best. I used a mole type trap to catch one that damaged my van. It took several tries, but eventually he was caught.

As to damage, he built a nest on top the engine. The nest got hot and then caught fire when I drove the van. Had an engine fire, caused $4,000 worth of damage. Have no sympathy for those devils.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
When the bastids eat the wires under the hood of your car you will find your compassion diminished

Oh yeah.
Little corksoakers ate some wiring on my truck...TWICE...in one month. Mad (parked at work)
$400 bucks the first time and 350 the second time because my mechanic is a good guy and cut me a break.
I might have the only Tundra that has conduit covering the wires on top of the motor.

It was full on packrat jihad after that!
Poison, traps and destroy any and all nests within 150' of the building.

Yep. A whopping $4300 damage on one vehicle and $900 on another while we were out of town for a couple weeks. Removed any trace of mercy I may have had before I went total jihad on the little bastards

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Pick em up and throw them down.
Kill em. Throw them out in the woods.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Willard.

Ben.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15910 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-...a-319112726042&psc=1

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Rats! I Hate Rats!

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post