SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Had to lock up my wife for being radioactive...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had to lock up my wife for being radioactive... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Wife has thyroid cancer, so they are doing the radioactive iodine treatment, and have to lock her up in an isolated bedroom for a few days. The whole thing is weird and there are so many different protocols, there is no consensus even among the same Drs in the same practice on how long to be isolated, how long to keep your distance etc. What a pain and a boring few days for her

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it man.

Prayers out to you and your wife.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
This doesn't sound fun. For either of you. Hopefully she feels well enough to read, and has some good books? Best wishes

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Hope she steadily improves.
My wife had a PET scan, to diagnose her stage 4 lung cancer.
She was radioactive for 8_10 hours and had to stay away from me and our kitties.
Cancer sucks.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I had Thyroid cancer a year ago, and they just removed the tumor (and half of my thyroid). No radiation or chemo. Did they remove any of her thyroid?

Hope she got to keep it. As far as cancer goes, this is a pretty 'easy' type to treat, but I hate having to take a pill every morning for the rest of my life. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Speaking of kitties. My cat had a thyroid condition and needed treatment that made her radioactive for a couple of weeks.
Thing was, her poo was radioactive. I was told in no uncertain terms to NOT dump the litter box in the garbage. The claim was the radioactive poop would set off sensors at the landfill. No I have no idea how true this was.
Special flushable litter and I guess the sewer plant didn't have sensors.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
No big deal, just a pain in the ass for about 96hrs. Just a precaution for other people close to her. Don't want to expose others to a dose of NaI131 that could affect their thyroid also. I131 will be excreted in large quantities via body fluids during the first 96 hours and decreasing rapidly thereafter. The biggest risk is to small children close by and to intimate couples. After 96hrs all normal activity can be resumed. Thank you very much.....RT ARRT NM!

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I had that done back in 1985. Mine was done in the hospital in a 'special' corner room. They rolled a wheel chair into the room with a canister about a foot across. The tech slid the lid off to one side then backed up to the door. Told me to pull out the 'dipper' in the center. It looked like a bull barrel on steroids. The hole in the center was only about an inch and a half in diameter. There was a bottle in there with six capsules which I had to swallow. After that I was told to get back in bed then the tech used a Geiger counter to take readings and place a purple and yellow rope on the floor. No one was supposed to cross the rope and I was supposed to stay put. Had to use a portable toilet and bag my own stuff up for removal once a day. The tech returned once per day and reset the rope based off his Geiger counter readings. I got to leave when the rope was moved right up to the bed. Fun stuff!

Wish you well. But it only lasts a few days. After that, you just have to stay away from little kids or at least keep them away from your head and neck.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. I hope time goes fast for her and her recovery goes well. Tell her we are all rooting for her!

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have her DRINK WATER, lot and lots of WATER.

After my thyroid cancer and thyroid removal, I was locked up in the special corner hospital room. Was told to plan on at least three days.
I drank lots of water, like pee every 10 minutes for five minutes, kind of lots of water. I was out in two days. You pass the radiation through flushing your body with water. Like three+ cases of water per day. I was like a caged rat and had nothing else to do but drink water, lots of water.

Have her DRINK WATER, lot and lots of WATER.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Had it done back in 2014. Not cancer, but hyperactive thyroid due to Grave's Disease.

They had to literally kill most of my thyroid with radioactive iodine.

I was told to sequester myself in a different area than the wife/dogs for about a week. To wash any bedding and cloths separate and no close proximity for the same week.

I was pretty much told that we don't have to be in separate rooms, just 6 to 10 feet apart. And not to let other people/pets sit int he same places i sit for any length of time beyond a short visit.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post