SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bathroom Floor Remodeling Advice Needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bathroom Floor Remodeling Advice Needed Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
My bathroom is in need of a new floor, badly. The floor now consists of Douglas Fir tongue and groove over a 1" by 12" subfloor. Over the past 111 years, someone cut a massive access panel in the fir to get at the plumbing below. Repairing, refinishing of the fir is not an option.

My question is should I rip up the fir and subfloor, make a new subfloor out of the appropriate modern material and cover with cement board before I lay the tile, or should I just put the cement board over the existing 1" X 12"s? The gap between the 1' X 12"s is roughly 3/8".

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If it were my house I'd replace the subfloor with Advantech, glued and screwed to the joists. Then go schluter.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you are laying tile, I highly recommend heating it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
If it were my house I'd replace the subfloor with Advantech, glued and screwed to the joists. Then go schluter.

All day every day and twice on Sunday.

More work, but it’s done right. Chances are the 1”x12” is brittal as hell and you’ll fall through it once the wood floor is up. Wouldn’t chance laying tile on a compromised sub floor.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those products look great. Thanks for the info guys.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
PL400 is the glue, stainless are the screws. Sister as needed to level the floor, use PL and Headlok lags on the sisters. 2x4 sisters if it's out a lil, more if it's real bad.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
What Arc said but calculate deflection in the floor.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
What Arc said but calculate deflection in the floor.

Uh, no one does this.

What people do, is look at the tables in the code book, or get an engineer if necessary. Which, unless the joists are grossly undersized, damaged, or have chunks cut out, isn't needed. But nobody calculates deflection in a bathroom floor just cuz. It supported a load before, and if you glue and screw Advantech or another plywood product, it'll be stronger than the joists alone.

Fixing any structural deficiency, leveling the floor, and using a decoupling membrane, you can do it all without calculating the deflection of the floor.

Arc.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
My bathroom is in need of a new floor, badly. The floor now consists of Douglas Fir tongue and groove over a 1" by 12" subfloor. Over the past 111 years, someone cut a massive access panel in the fir to get at the plumbing below. Repairing, refinishing of the fir is not an option.

My question is should I rip up the fir and subfloor, make a new subfloor out of the appropriate modern material and cover with cement board before I lay the tile, or should I just put the cement board over the existing 1" X 12"s? The gap between the 1' X 12"s is roughly 3/8".

I assume they cut entirely through the flooring, 1"x12" subfloor too right? If done properly, the cut joint over joists and it's solid, and and additional 5/8" finished floor height isn't a problem, you could simply leave everything and overlay it with 1/4" Hardiboard. If the added height is an issue do what was already suggested and take it all up and install Advantech, then thin-set down cement board over.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then go schluter.
Uncoupling membrane (Ditra)?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
You need L360 for most times. Simple calculation, takes about a minute.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Yeah guy. Nobody does that.

Arc.

Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well I do. In my case, second floor bathroom with existing carpet. Going in with 18"x18" travertine. My floor trusses were on 24" centers and would not support the weight of the travertine, being a natural stone there was the potential for cracking. Removed subfloor and installed 2x4 ledgers and perpendicular 2x6 supports every 16", 3/4" ply then Schluter.

It has held up great and I'm glad I reinforced the area.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume they cut entirely through the flooring, 1"x12" subfloor too right?

They cut through the fir, carefully. Then they cut "access panels" in the subfloor to get at the supply lines and drains at some point. No damage was done to the joists.

The joists in my case are true dimensional lumber. They measure 2" X 10" and are rough hewn Douglas Fir. They are 16" on center, and could most likely take the weight of a small car.

After researching Arc's suggestions, I think I'll go with the Advantech and Ditra.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
quote:

Well I do. In my case, second floor bathroom with existing carpet. Going in with 18"x18" travertine. My floor trusses were on 24" centers and would not support the weight of the travertine, being a natural stone there was the potential for cracking. Removed subfloor and installed 2x4 ledgers and perpendicular 2x6 supports every 16", 3/4" ply then Schluter.

It has held up great and I'm glad I reinforced the area.

I'm not saying no one reinforces floors.

I'm saying no one just does equations for "deflection," and not without a reason. Paying attention to loading and structure, and using the tables is what happens. If you're going to use structural equations, you do it once for the loading and then again with the weight of your structure and make sure you have a safety factor.

There is a time for equations. It's not all the time.

Arc.