SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Space Force Offers First Peek at Camouflage Uniform
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Space Force Offers First Peek at Camouflage Uniform Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
How is camo supposed to work in space? Article is below, but I think they should use this uniform

Article begins here

17 Jan 2020
Military.com | By Hope Hodge Seck

The United States Space Force has only one member so far, but it appears the service utility uniform is already well under development.

The official Twitter account of the month-old military service posted a teaser photograph Friday night appearing to show a variant of the Operational Camouflage Pattern used by the Army and Air Force.

Above the left breast pocket in Navy embroidery reads: U.S. Space Force.

"The first #SpaceForce utility uniform nametapes have touched down in the Pentagon," the tweet read.

The uniform depicts four-star rank, indicating that the uniform belongs to Gen. John "Jay" Raymond, the first commander of U.S. Space Force. It also has the Command Space Operations badge embroidered above the service nametape.

On the left sleeve of the uniform is the United States Space Command patch, denoting the military's newest combatant command, formed shortly before Space Force itself activated Dec. 20. And above that patch is a full-color American flag patch -- a departure from the flags that soldiers and airmen typically wear on their right shoulders in OCP uniform.

Many questions remain. Space Force has yet to announce a rank structure, a full system of uniforms or even what to call members of the new service. In a Thursday briefing, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said Raymond was developing a plan regarding every detail.

"We've got some steps to go through," he said. "General Raymond's team has a -- a massive, incredibly well thought out and planned implementation process for ... uniforms, pay, songs, that they need to go through to get a Space Force ... I don't know the timeline on it but we can probably get you guys an update on some Space Force-related issues in the near future."

Editor's Note: This story has been updated to improve the accuracy of the description of flag placement.

-- Hope Hodge Seck can be reached at hope.seck@military.com. Follow her on Twitter at @HopeSeck. link

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It makes sense... Rather than wasting time with designing new uniforms, just use what the Army and Air Force are already using, and add a couple minor flourishes like blue lettering and a distinctive patch arrangement.

And here's a photo of the General's Space Force uniform, for those unfamiliar with stuff like OCP or the Space Command patch.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
How is camo supposed to work in space? Article is below, but I think they should use this uniform

Funny how everyone thinks the Space Force actually deploys to space Big Grin In the future perhaps but, first gotta develop a manned functional vehicle first. Meanwhile, business as usual at Vandenberg AFB, launching satellites, maintaining the GPS constellation and a bunch of other important things.

US Space Force is to the USAF, as the USMC is to the USN. USSF reports to the Sec of AF. Makes sense to utilize the existing OCP work uniform, no need to muddle up things with 'service unique' uniforms.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Spaceman Basic
Spaceman
Spaceman 1c,

The command structure possibilities amuse me.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I want to hear the songs.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
Spaceman Basic
Spaceman
Spaceman 1c,

If Star Trek has taught us anything a Space Force will have to use the Naval rank structure.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I thought we signed a treaty sometime back in the 60's or 70's to not militarize outer space?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I thought we signed a treaty sometime back in the 60's or 70's to not militarize outer space?

Space has been militarized for many decades. Many of our satellites, including GPS, communication, and surveillance/mapping/"spy" satellites, are military or quasi-military. Our ICBMs transit space. Most of our astronauts have been active servicemembers. And there have been various space-based military anti-missile defense systems and orbital kinetic bombardment systems proposed/explored over the years.

1967's Outer Space Treaty just banned the stationing of nuclear missiles in space, prevented any sovereign claims on space, and banned the use of other planets or celestial bodies for military bases or weapons testing.

It did not ban military activity in space in general, or ban non-nuclear weaponry from space.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
..for those unfamiliar with stuff like OCP

Sure, OCP runs the cops.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
Spaceman Basic
Spaceman
Spaceman 1c,

Don't forget:

Space Cadet

With the military's penchant for nicknames, I expect every commandant to be Major Tom.

Posts: 6480 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
“Ground Control to Major Tom....”

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
How about The Byrds "Mr.Spaceman"?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8108 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if the Space Force is an derivative of the Air Force, then the command structure should surely follow the Air Force’s. Which I believe follows the Army’s as the Air Force was derived from the Army/Army Air Corps.

The Navy and Marine Corps always had a different structure roughly based on the Royal Navy’s following the War of Independence...

Except the lowest rank MUST be Space Cadet

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The Marines are part of the Navy but their rank structure isn't the same as the Navies. So why would the Space Force have to be the same as the Air Force?

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
The Marines are part of the Navy but their rank structure isn't the same as the Navies. So why would the Space Force have to be the same as the Air Force?

Not have to be, but based on for simplicity...

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Army, USAF, and Marine "Rank" (ie Officer) structures are identical (O-1 and up), 2LT, 1LT, CAPT, MAJ, etc...

But all of their Enlisted Rates are different (E-1 through E-9).

The Navy is different from all of them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Sure. Now they can do whatever they want in a new command structure. I'm sure they will want to be unique and may pick something unprecedented. Because they can.

Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
A ship is a ship is a ship, be it a space ship or a ship on water. Using a Naval rank structure would make sense, so they likely won't do it. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1686 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Well, Space Force could always revert back to the idea that former CSAF General McPeak had back in the early 1990s; a marriage of Navy and Air Force. Eek

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2700 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post