SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions for Kureg owners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for Kureg owners Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
How many times can you use a K-cup?

One and done? Twice? How much does it depend on the size of the serving? I typically choose the largest option for my morning covfefe and use it once then toss it. If I select the smallest cup can I use it twice?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Once. I tried twice and all you get is dirty water.

You can get those reusable screen things and put your own coffee in them. But I don't use them.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11105 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've never tried reusing one. I would think that even on the smallest setting, the second time through would give weak coffee.

I would worry about grounds leaking out, too, on the second run.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Any more than once, and you just get really watered-down coffee.

Posts: 33101 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Once.

A neighbor uses the refillable cups, but I can't see how she makes it worth it with all the work she does to grind and fill it. I think it might be virtue-signaling.

On the bright side, if you're into it, using them once and dumping them allows you to get all kinds of awesome seasonal flavors and try new brands, etc.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Kureg owner, but I do have a Keurig.

I like strong coffee, so definitely only one use per K-cup.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I figured there was a chance I could misspell it but I just didn't really care. I figured everyone would know what I was taking about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The only ones I've been able to get 2 uses out of are the extra bold & 2 brews on the smaller cup size.
Would do that to fill a travel mug.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16012 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Works pretty good the second time if you run Redbull through it Wink

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don't drink red bull or 5hr energy anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

You can get those reusable screen things and put your own coffee in them. But I don't use them.

I tried a couple times...even as fine as that screen is on the reusable pod, it makes a heckuva mess inside the machine. Maybe if one grinds one's coffee so it's less fine...but I don't have the time or interest to finetune my grind first thing in the morning. It also doesn't seem to impart the same quality of brew...perhaps because the reusable pod is open/screened nearly all the way around, but the standard pods just have the small puncture at the top and bottom, so the pressure wash is greater.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like everyone said, using them 2X just gives you a really weak second cup.

I did go to Amazon and buy the "Freedom Stickers" which, when applied to the edge of the K-Cup tricks the machine and opens the full menu. I can get a good cup if I brew a standard pod on strong at a 14 oz setting.

I also use the refillable baskets for my larger travel mug and for fresh ground

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can get those reusable screen things and put your own coffee in them.

I have one and tended to use it when I was up earlier than wife wanted a cup but was going to wait to start the Moccamaster just out of courtesy. Yeah, I'm awesome.

They work pretty well, but are admittedly a little of a mess to dump/rinse. After a couple misfires can do that without coating myself....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12706 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use k-cup disposable paper filters and the Perfect Pod.

EZ-Cup

Perfect Pod

I had coffee grinder that I used for my french-press. I got tired of cleaning it out(the press). Now I use the Keurig only. This way you can use any brand coffee and its not so damn expensive.

Who knows how old that prepackaged coffee is anyway.

-TVz

Posts: 435 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I double brew my K-cups, both the disposable and the refillable kind all the time.

Usually to fit my cup, I will hit 6 oz twice rather than 10 oz once. Works for me and the coffee I get is fine.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Once

We use one of the refillable filterery thingy, but the pre ground coffee goes thru it so we also use a small tiny paper filter that Mrs. Mike gets at Bed Bath and Beyond ....

it's a pain, but we each only have one cup in the morning, so cleanup is literally pulling the paper filter and grounds out and tossing into the trash.

We drink Starbucks Colombian, and the only place to get it is at Target...we have between 5-7 pounds in the freezer...( I think it's a seasonal-and Mrs. likes it)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
Like everyone said, using them 2X just gives you a really weak second cup.

I did go to Amazon and buy the "Freedom Stickers" which, when applied to the edge of the K-Cup tricks the machine and opens the full menu. I can get a good cup if I brew a standard pod on strong at a 14 oz setting.

I also use the refillable baskets for my larger travel mug and for fresh ground

No need for the stickers, anymore: SF Bay Company . Already built in.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I quit using ours. It seemed like I had to use the smallest setting for regular coffee strength and that meant I would use a ton of them.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever tried brewing up a bunch of coffee, keeping it in the fridge and then reheating it in the microwave a cup at a time?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Has anyone ever tried brewing up a bunch of coffee, keeping it in the fridge and then reheating it in the microwave a cup at a time?

After my second overpriced-for-what-you-get Keurig bit the dust way too early, I pulled out my old Cuisine Art from the closet and started making real coffee again. On weekdays I'll make the pot at night and turn it off after brewing. Its still warm in the morning before getting the microwave treatment. On weekends I'll make a full pot and drink half during the morning. After I'm done drinking that day's coffee, I put the rest in the fridge and do the microwave thing on day two.

I enjoy grinding my own beans but don't consider myself a coffee connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. That said, I don't have any problem with the taste on day two. Regardless of whether it's lost any taste, it's still far better on Day 2 than any of the Keurig crap I've had, IMHO. YMMV.

Sometimes I've forgotten to put the coffee in the fridge, but I haven't had any ill effects (taste or illness) from drinking it the next day. But I'm cheap like that.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2569 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post