SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today is Texas Independence Day
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today is Texas Independence Day Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Texas Independence Day is the celebration of the adoption of the Texas Declaration of Independence on March 2, 1836. With this document signed by 59 people, settlers in Mexican Texas officially declared independence from Mexico and created the Republic of Texas.

The convention named Sam Houston to command the army, such as it was, and by April 21, he had made it stick.

By coincidence, today is also Houston's birthday.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Long live the great State of Texas!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
God bless Texas!

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Lone Star State
P.S. DMWT or we'll SJYA

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
God bless Texas!

+1

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, Beck is covering Sam Houston on his show today.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If y'all don't mind,

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've grown to appreciate it much more after 6 years!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Report This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Big ol' hug and a bouquet of bluebonnets for mama Tennessee.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to my neighbors of the Red River.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Happy B'day Texas! I'm riding down next month and looking forward to visiting Big Bend, Hill Country, and whatever else I stumble upon.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Report This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday!!!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Texas Independence Day

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Report This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
And Sam Houston's birthday!

And mine Cool

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to my beautiful (adopted) Republic and to the man for whom my wonderful city is named...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have decided that I rather like Texas! Happy Birthday!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Happy Birthday to my beautiful (adopted) Republic and to the man for whom my wonderful city is named...

Where is that statue?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Where is that statue?

Off IH-45 at Huntsville

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Test1968:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Where is that statue?

Off IH-45 at Huntsville

Thanks.

I hope to get over to Huntsville this spring to pay my respects, once more. I was there many decades ago, and need to go again.