SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are the chances of me finding the cannon pinion that I dropped in the workshop?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the chances of me finding the cannon pinion that I dropped in the workshop? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Ugh. It's hard enough to work on a watch without dropping a part. Especially with these old eyes.

Unfortunately, the part (225611) costs more than the what I'd like to pay for a watch in it's current condition, so I may be looking to part this one out. It's not valuable or anything (a Seiko worth about $60) but I did want to get it working.

Anyone know a watch part junkyard site that I could maybe get parts from?

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's probably right next to the 1911 recoil springs.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
It's probably right next to the 1911 recoil springs.
Big Grin

You're not going to believe this but ...

I actually did find it.

The power of SIGforum strikes again. Thanks for helping everyone. Big Grin

(Sorry about the huge picture but it was necessary so that the part would be larger than 1 pixel. Wink)

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help. Big Grin

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My Dad's hobby was watchmaking and I've spent many hours on my hands and knees searching for parts he lost. We always found them, though.

What really works well is a powerful flashlight shining down the floor where the light covers several feet at a time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on finding it.
I have always found a strong flash light and a magnet have worked for me with small gun parts.
The only problem with watch parts is magnets are the enemy. If you had to use a magnet they you might have to demagnetize the watch part, but at least you might have found the part. Wink

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
FYI for the future ... I bought one of those strong magnet sweepers from Harbor Freight. Best buy I ever made. Use in both in the garage and along the driveway, cement and gravel, and shocked at what I pick up.

Just sayin'.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
FYI for the future ... I bought one of those strong magnet sweepers from Harbor Freight. Best buy I ever made. Use in both in the garage and along the driveway, cement and gravel, and shocked at what I pick up.

Just sayin'.
I have one to run over the lawns after the roofing guys tell me they cleaned up.

posted Hide Post
Get a cat. Mine has successfully found many small parts I drop. He waits under my workbench for the hunt. Maybe all the food bills are worth it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What about using the largest zip-lock bag you can find as a containment device?

I learned that when assembling an AR lower.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Get a cat. Mine has successfully found many small parts I drop. He waits under my workbench for the hunt. Maybe all the food bills are worth it!

From personal experience I can say they're also good for retrieving springs that take off from your guns while you're working on them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post