SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon to consider plan to lower voting age to 16
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon to consider plan to lower voting age to 16 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't surprise me if they did. Why not make it 10 or 12 y/o and have your parents with you while you vote numerous times. Let's also have the kids make all of the laws in the land and be able to run for office while in their teens, while we're at it. How screwed up would we have to be to see this happen?

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
They need to raise it to > 30 Smile

In all seriousness I think the legal age for an adult in every category including voting, military service, drinking, smoking, contracts, everything should be 19.
A year after high school and an opportunity to be on their own.
Most 19-year-olds today are still living in their parents' home. And more than half of them are attending college somewhere. (I was doing both--"streetcar college".)

Doesn't the federal government also control what age one must be to vote in a federal election? How would different ages be handled for that?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
This won't end well for Oregon (but it's not like Oregon has very far to fall).

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm all for it if they make buying alcohol, buying/carrying firearms (pistols included), joining the military, renting a car, signing contracts, etc. to 16.

Posts: 13144 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
At 18 you're generally to stupid to vote. Especially nowadays.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I'm all for it if they make buying alcohol, buying/carrying firearms (pistols included), joining the military, renting a car, signing contracts, etc. to 16.

Absolutely. They should also eliminate sentencing laws that apply to juveniles. If you're tried and convicted of a crime at 16 you get sentenced as an adult and do your time in an adult prison. Seems only fair, right?

Posts: 418 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post