SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice please: Ring versus Blink video doorbell
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice please: Ring versus Blink video doorbell Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with my Blink doorbell. It captures everyone that comes to the door. Alerts through the app are typically immediate if connected to wifi or a fast cellular connection, but in areas with spotty cell service sometimes are delayed by anywhere from seconds to a minute or so.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Blink would be my first choice since you are already in that world.

Agreed.

Another benefit of Blink over Ring is that only Blink has the capability to do local video storage alone, so there's not a requirement to pay for a monthly plan in order to save and view past videos, like there is with Ring.

With Ring, you can either have zero storage (realtime live video only) with no monthly fee, or cloud video storage/playback with a monthly subscription.

But with Blink, you can have local video storage with no fee, or cloud storage with a monthly plan fee, or both.

I have a Blink doorbell and interior/exterior camera system, but use local storage only, so pay no monthly subscription fees.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Ring Pro hardwired doorbells are more responsive than battery versions. We like the hard wired flood lights too.

Under older plans you could add unlimited Ring devices and alarms for like 99/yr.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
I have several ring products and they are ----OK, just ok. Notifications are very slow at times and the motion sensors are often "glitchy". For Example: My driveway camera will pick up a human, dog, cat etc---but it won't pick up vehicle pulling into your driveway (regardless of settings). The video from the doorbell camera is so wide you can't distinguish faces even at 6 or seven feet. If I had to do it again, it wouldn't be Ring. I can't speak about other brands.

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any issue with my Blink camera failing to pick up people or cars. But I occasionally get false alerts on a couple of my outside cameras during hard rain or snow, especially when the cameras are in IR mode at night. I sometimes have to disable certain cameras during heavy overnight rain/snow storms, to keep from getting woken up by false alerts. Turning down the sensitivity helps, but didn't totally eliminate this.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Under older plans you could add unlimited Ring devices and alarms for like 99/yr.
The Ring website is currently showing $10 / month or $100 if paid annually, for unlimited devices at one location.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30737 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the POE Amcrest. I've been using Panasonic HomeHawk cameras that mount to the inside of windows.

I've never tried any other product so I have no baseline and so don't know if it's relatively better or worse. But I bought one and then a second after trying out the first.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We had an earlier version of Ring until they needed new batteries that couldn't be replaced on those models.
After that, Wyze. Some are hard wired if there's power nearby and others are battery.

Posts: 9548 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post