SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where does electricity come from?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where does electricity come from? Login/Join 
Picture of jbcummings
posted
My wife and I were talking about the younger generation this morning and their attraction to the New Green Deal. One of the principles is supposed to be the elimination of using fossil fuels. One thought led to another and we wondered if some of these folks have even a clue about how electricity is generated. I realize I’m addressing this to much more knowledgeable folks here, but...

Question:
How do you think electricity is created?

Choices:
It’s magic! I have no clue.
It’s collected by capturing lightening bolts.
Generate heat, spin a magnet & use conductors to bleed off the juice.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The giant magical Thunderbunny hides USB ports from the Transformers waiting for their favorite former Decepticon: Overlord.

(okay, so I was originally going to talk about capacitance coupling and Kirchhoff's law, but...)

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure it's generated by walking across the carpet in socks during the Winter.
As for how it's stored, that's a mystery to me.

Posts: 36 | Location: Near St Louis MO, Let's Go Blues! | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Move a coil of wire through a magnetic field, connect ends of said coil to a load such as a lightbulb. Boom! Power.

This process can be sized up from a lightbulb to a city and the momentum can be provided by many ways almost infinite ways. Falling water, combustion, steam, wind, thousands of linked gerbil wheels a spinning, etc.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Induction.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
gerbal on the wheel round here

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It comes out of a plug.

Duh.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ Pretty much, this.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Actually, it comes out of a socket, you put a plug in the socket to harvest it. Keep it straight.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Things breaking and coming apart causes energy.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/WasyIZOHg8s [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't need to generate heat to spin the magnet.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
It's in the wall. I think they put it there when they build your house, and it leaks out through little holes, but if you stop them up it leaks into whatever you stop up the holes with. I think....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is no electricity, everything runs on smoke. Things stop working when you let the smoke out.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27009 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I think it's got something to do with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1906 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
It comes from a can, it was put there by a man. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
From the Department of Energy in Washing, Tundy Sea.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
You don't need to generate heat to spin the magnet.

Yeah, that part varies. Hydro as an example. I got hung up thinking about the fossil fuel part. My dad worked at an oil/gas fired generating plant. The boiler was 7 stories tall and generated steam that was used to spin a turbine. The turbine in it’s housing stood about 25 feet tall and narrowed down to about 8. Lots of fossil fuel was used. Wink

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got hung up thinking about the fossil fuel part.

About 2/3 of the electricity generated is from fossil fuel (coal, natural gas, and petroleum), with about 1/3 from coal.
1/3 of electricity comes from burning coal.... Eek ?
Progs hate coal.

But they love their Tesla.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24159 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
There was an old man from Mass,
who had two balls made of brass.
When he rubbed them together,
they played Stormy Weather,
and lightning shot out of his ass.

That's where it comes from.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post