SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where does electricity come from?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where does electricity come from? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Zeus?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
It was invented by Benjamin Franklin.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They scoop electrons out of reservoirs in buckets and pour them into the wires.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
It comes from a can, it was put there by a man. Razz

In a factory downtown?

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Only the ignorant and the tyrannical want the new green deal.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Electricity is intrinsic to the universe:

“The permittivity of free space (a vacuum) is a physical constant equal to approximately 8.85 x 10-12 farad per meter (F/m).”

https://whatis.techtarget.com/...tivity-of-free-space

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8994 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
The sun.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Coal.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10931 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Even with Trump, coal is dying of natural causes. Fracked natgas is cheaper, and solar and wind are pecking at the edges of the market.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Coal.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37992 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
You left off the correct answer: Burning coal or fossil fuel.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
There is no electricity, everything runs on smoke. Things stop working when you let the smoke out.

I thought that was how electronics worked. Thanks for educating me that the same is true of electrics.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Al Gore invented it to run his internet.

Duh! Everybody knows that.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I got hung up thinking about the fossil fuel part.

About 2/3 of the electricity generated is from fossil fuel (coal, natural gas, and petroleum), with about 1/3 from coal.
1/3 of electricity comes from burning coal.... Eek ?
Progs hate coal.

But they love their Tesla.
Yep. I told one ridiculous Tesla owner that unless the cord he uses to charge his Tesla is plugged into a windmill or solar array, which it isn't because it doesn't take him multiple days to charge up, or into a Unicorn's ass, his car is neither emissions free nor clean. I kid you not, he couldn't grasp the assertion I was making. More proof that Tesla owners aren't that smart.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The Electric Company.

I pay my bill, they send me electricity.

If I don’t pay my bill, they don’t send me electricity.

It’s really that simple.

Duh!

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
from bigdeal above ^^^^

quote:
Yep. I told one ridiculous Tesla owner that unless the cord he uses to charge his Tesla is plugged into a windmill or solar array, which it isn't because it doesn't take him multiple days to charge up, or into a Unicorn's ass, his car is neither emissions free nor clean. I kid you not, he couldn't
grasp the assertion I was making. More proof that Tesla owners aren't that smart.

I been there and done that ^^^^
Amazing how they seemingly have never thought of it.

Also, just my opinion: Investors in Tesla stock are even dumber than the owners of the cars.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Electricity is intrinsic to the universe:

“The permittivity of free space (a vacuum) is a physical constant equal to approximately 8.85 x 10-12 farad per meter (F/m).”

https://whatis.techtarget.com/...tivity-of-free-space

NOFAIR!!!! You beat me to it by about ten seconds.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Well, when a proton and an electron really like each other.....

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have so wanted to have some bumper stickers made that read - COAL FIRED - and stick them on all the Tesla’s around here. But as a law abiding gun owner...

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
We don't have any coal or nuclear power plants in Oklahoma. All of ours burn natural gas.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post