SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Clean" Chinese food prompts SJW response and Political Correctness for new restaurant owner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Clean" Chinese food prompts SJW response and Political Correctness for new restaurant owner Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
https://www.boston.com/news/re...hinese-food-new-york

Wow the young hip SJW crowd even go after young women start up business owners, for violating the PC Directive from the all knowing and perpetually offended.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Actually, from reading the article, she may have stepped in genuine shit on this one. It sounds like the restaurant may survive, but her press/social media for it was ignorant at best.

The whole "clean food" thing is creepy. Some people indeed have legitimate dietary restrictions, and the rest of us may want to avoid certain things, but "clean" is another level. I guess they picked "clean" because "final solution" doesn't have the same warmth.

Cultural Appropriation is generally a crock, but there may be something to it when profit is involved.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27006 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it wasn't ignorant and they subscribe to the all publicity is good publicity philosophy. Had they chosen different terminology, I would never have heard about them. They've reached the entire country for free.

Posts: 10994 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

<snip>

Cultural Appropriation is generally a crock, but there may be something to it when profit is involved.

Huh? White folks can't open a Chinese restaurant, or a Mexican food restaurant, etc....because it's somehow profiting off of those cultures? Is that what you are saying?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, from reading the article, she may have stepped in genuine shit on this one. It sounds like the restaurant may survive, but her press/social media for it was ignorant at best.

The whole "clean food" thing is creepy. Some people indeed have legitimate dietary restrictions, and the rest of us may want to avoid certain things, but "clean" is another level. I guess they picked "clean" because "final solution" doesn't have the same warmth.

Eating clean just means without all the unnecessary crap they put into it. For instance, if you killed a deer and made a delicious burger from it, that’s eating clean. The meat was not processed in a factory and nothing unnecessary was added to the food.

As a bodybuilder and triathlete, I always try to eat clean and have done so since I was 16.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed somebody with a "sleek social media presence" didn't see that reaction coming.

They're right about typical Chinese take-out "cuisine." It's often oily, loaded with MSG and salt, etc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Whatever marketing faux pas she may have stepped in (and I agree that someone who's so 'savvy' shoulda seen that coming a mile away), it's funny that "Chinese" take-out joints run by actual Asians can freely and openly advertise 'clean' food with NO MSG signs all over the place, but a white lady gets badgered for exactly the same thing.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"Eating clean" and "clean food" are nebulous concepts. There is no set definition, most people that don't practice it don't know what it means and most people that do practice it can't conceive of the idea that everyone doesn't utilize their pet definition.

Better use a paragraph to describe what exactly you mean by "clean", if you're advertising your restaurant or it's just virtue signalling that almost has to bite you in the ass.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:

<snip>

Huh? White folks can't open a Chinese restaurant, or a Mexican food restaurant, etc....because it's somehow profiting off of those cultures? Is that what you are saying?

To be clear, I could give a rats ass about "cultural appropriation." People concerned about it, don't want you to dress like an Indian at halloween, much less open an ethnocentric restaurant without the participation of that ethnicity.

These clowns have a lot of free time, and a social media shitstorm can certainly impact a small business.

For someone so "savvy" this lady should have been smart enough to at least run it by someone who knows the "red flags" so she could avoid the controversy. The "any publicity is good publicity" trope doesn't always apply, and restaurants are a notoriously tough business. I seriously doubt this is some genius move on her part.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27006 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Anyone who has eaten at a strip mall Asian restaurant- the so called "Chinese" variety- knows what she's talking about. Food indifferently cooked, thrown together, swimming in oil. The quality of most of this food is just horrible.

More power to her. Her goose may be cooked, so to speak, but she's done nothing wrong in my book. We need to start pushing back against this whining horse shit.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107683 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Arc.

Yeah, complete and utter bullshit.

I agree that she should have been smart enough to anticipate some potential pitfalls with social media - that is just smart business, but she did zero wrong other than fail to do that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Clean food to a nutritionist has a very different meaning than 'clean' to most people.

With that said, as far as cultural appropriation, utter bullshit.

A made up term by people looking to be offended.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Beyond what has already been posted, it is my understanding that "Chinese food" in the American sense is anything but authentic in the first place. Hasn't been for a long time.

So, those that are crying about cultural this and that seem to be forgetting history.

Convenient as always.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
and yet... her plan worked, I'd say she is savvy, her restaurant is in the news, people are talking about it, and stopping in to eat. Using the natural tendency of SJW to attack and spread news quickly to justify their platform and being white, well she's a perfect target...

The results are national exposure, being on peoples conversations, all for free....

To Quote:

On Wednesday, Lucky Lee’s, on University Place between 10th and 11th Streets, was busy. The patrons were a mix of people curious about the controversy, supporters of Haspel and others who had just walked in and had no idea about the backlash.

Posts: 23524 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Didn’t some famous TV chef try this not too long ago and he got beat up just as bad?

Chinese food in America is absolute garbage. Calling American Chinese food Chinese food is like calling McDonald’s a steak house. The word “clean” is used in many foodie/dietary circles and this woman should be a welcomed addition to the restaurant industry. I only wish I could find one around here.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Panera Bread has been running this ad for years and no one seems give a shit:

https://www.panerabread.com/en.../clean-campaign.html

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I think clean in general refers to
Organic non GMO produce
Grass fed grass finished beef and dairy
Pasture poultry and pork.

That’s kind of an accepted version for most. Anything more, or less is probably wrong.
Oh, and the last person I would listen to about what to eat is a nutrition or dietician. I mean welcome to the 1970s.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I blame Panera for this "clean" food BS.

If it's clean only now, what were you serving before?

Posts: 33841 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Didn’t some famous TV chef try this not too long ago and he got beat up just as bad?

Chinese food in America is absolute garbage. Calling American Chinese food Chinese food is like calling McDonald’s a steak house. The word “clean” is used in many foodie/dietary circles and this woman should be a welcomed addition to the restaurant industry. I only wish I could find one around here.

according the the linked article (in the OP) Andrew Zimern did, but he also called other Chinese food Shit

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oy vey, shoulda gone with Kosher instead.

I guess eating cat jokes are no longer acceptable, either?

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post