SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two U.S. Navy Servicemembers Arrested for Transmitting Military Information to the People’s Republic of China
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two U.S. Navy Servicemembers Arrested for Transmitting Military Information to the People’s Republic of China Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr...oples-republic-china

In two separate cases in the Southern and Central Districts of California, two U.S. Navy servicemembers were arrested for transmitting sensitive military information to the People’s Republic of China (PRC).

“These individuals stand accused of violating the commitments they made to protect the United States and betraying the public trust, to the benefit of the PRC government,” said Assistant Attorney General Matthew G. Olsen of the Justice Department’s National Security Division. “The Department of Justice will continue to use every tool in our arsenal to counter threats from China and to deter those who aid them in breaking our laws and threatening our national security.”

“These arrests are a reminder of the relentless, aggressive efforts of the People’s Republic of China to undermine our democracy and threaten those who defend it,” said Assistant Director Suzanne Turner of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division. “The PRC compromised enlisted personnel to secure sensitive military information that could seriously jeopardize U.S. national security. The FBI and our partners remain vigilant in our determination to combat espionage, and encourage past and present government officials to report any suspicious interactions with suspected foreign intelligence officers.”

details at link

makes me sick

Both Wei and Zhao are naturalized US citizens born in China.

https://twitter.com/Byron_Wan/.../1687234948460335105

Posts: 19588 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hang 'em High.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
There are still some things if you do should get you stood up against a wall and shot. I firmly believe this.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
There are still some things if you do should get you stood up against a wall and shot. I firmly believe this.

I'm a firm believer that if we (America) would have been carrying on this fine tradition, we wouldn't be having this problem today.

However, since they are Navy, hanging the traitors from a Yardarm works too.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Since they are Navy, hanging the traitors from a Yardarm works too.

My thoughts exactly.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Given how terribly the Navy is run, I'm waiting to see the evidence. These are the same people tried Eddie Gallagher for nothing and tried to cover up their failures on the Bonhomme Richard by trying to blame it on one sailor that no one that wasn't kicked out of the Navy could verify was even there when the fire started.

I am well passed trust but verify with these clowns.

Posts: 4198 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This video also reviews the discovery of malware in our infrastructure software that was likely inserted by Chinese hackers.

Do US Navy ships still have a piece of wood on board, maybe 2' wide and 10' long that can be fastened at one and to the edge of the deck?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Rule 303.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
...since they are Navy, hanging the traitors from a Yardarm works too.
I am in TOTAL agreement with this statement.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both Wei and Zhao are naturalized US citizens born in China
They didn't take their oath very seriously. Just put a good ole American .45 bullet from a good ole American M1911 pistol in their heads and throw them in the ocean. Fish gotta eat.

Posts: 9053 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Saw this last week, what always surprises me, going back to cases during the Cold War, is the incredibly low amount they sell out for.

Don’t get me wrong, there is no “right” amount, but you’d think a criminal would do something this serious for more than a 93 Honda Civic and a PS5.

I do believe these gentlemen just wanted to help their mother country. Military should be careful during low recruitment not to allow this shit to become too frequent.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
There’s only one country on this planet that we need to fear in peer to peer conflict.

It happens to be one that we are tied to economically as well.

Insane that we allow “naturalized” citizens from that country as military.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
There’s only one country on this planet that we need to fear in peer to peer conflict.

It happens to be one that we are tied to economically as well.

Insane that we allow “naturalized” citizens from that country as military.
"Allowing" them to serve is one thing, giving them a secret security clearance... Roll Eyes

Do we not enforce NOFORN anymore? I guess that wouldn't apply to these guys since they were "naturalized citizens".

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Death penalty. How is up to jury.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I do believe these gentlemen just wanted to help their mother country.

I'm not trying to excuse their behavior in any way, but I wonder if they were somehow "encouraged" to help their mother country. Something like threats of extended family (or maybe even immediate family) going off to forced labor camp. From what I've seen in the media nobody is asking this question or making the slightest effort to investigate this angle.

Posts: 924 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Unbelievably poor screening of service members who immigrated from China, of all places.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30697 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm just waiting for the word that we can't use Signal or WhatsApp anymore.

When the traitor who I won't name did his shit years ago, our CD drives were disabled and any USB plug ins immediately triggered a security alert. Some units even banned wireless devices such as a mouse or keyboard.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the pennies they were paid, I also suspect they were doing this out of their patriotic duty to help China.

20 year possible sentence? What is this? Hang em high, for everyone to see. Let the bodies rot for a few days as well.

-c1steve

Posts: 4057 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d be okay with these guys being strung up. I just looked up the last man hanged for treason in the United States was William Bruce Mumford in 1862. Don’t get your hopes up.

Posts: 964 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if what we're seeing is a generational issue, young service members are giving away sensitive information for trivial amounts, the sense of loyalty and duty is lost on them.

Case in point, Air Guardsman Jack Texeria age-21 shared classified documents on the chat group he was a member of to prove his bonafides, there wasn't any money involved.

In this most recent case, Jinchao Wei age-22 provided to China technical manuals, training plans and photographs of his ship for only $10,000 and the idea of getting a job with the CCP later in life. Wenheng Zhao age-26, also passed exercise/training information and photographs for just $15,000. This pales in comparison to the $1m+ that the Walker spy ring Russia paid, and that was in 1970-80 dollars or, the $4-5m that Aldrich Ames was paid.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post