SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Laptop lost windows. Panic set in.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laptop lost windows. Panic set in..... Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
This laptop was powered off for a few months. Not the first time for that. But this time, Windows was gone!!!! Gone I say.
?????????????
I spent several hours trying to find it and eventually found a reset from 'this" computer. I did that. Then everything else was still missing.
I re did malwarebytes and scanned. That seemed to work ok.. Then I re did open office, yahoo mail, gmail, sigforum, etc.
Then I saw a popup saying McAfee needed to restart. What?????
Malwarebytes was now gone again????
I uninstalled McAfee and redid MWB. Seems ok for now.
But what? How? Why?
I have no idea. And I hate spending half a day doing this shit.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6330 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but the Windows version of antivirus and anti anything else nowadays.
The others are crap and do nothing but slow down your computer, cause miscellaneous problems and try to take money out of your wallet.
As a last bit of unpleasantness, you can never completely remove all traces of their crappy software and don't know when or if it will pop back up somewhere to cause problems.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

McAfee is crap. Get it off your computer.

Do yourself a favor and copy all your data onto an external drive and then do a clean install of Windows. It gets rid of all the crap the O.E.M.'s put on.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
From your task manager app (ctrl+alt+del).
Choose FILE> Run new task.
type > explorer
return

It can happen when the windows shell has an error/corruption.
Not often but an easy fix.
No panic needed. Smile

Posts: 22958 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

This.

It comes preloaded on many new computers from the factory, but uninstalling McAfee is one of the very first things you should do on a new computer. It's just bloatware, and one of the worst options for antivirus software besides.

Even if you had previously uninstalled it, if it's part of the factory software package then going back to a factory reset/restore like you apparently did will mean that it gets installed again and you have to uninstall it again.

For 99% of people, Windows Defender is all you will need for antivirus/antimalware. If you want to have a secondary software like Malwarebytes to specifically run the occasional supplemental scan, that's fine. But you don't need 2x/3x/4x real time antivirus programs running constantly, which will only cause issues. More is not necessarily better.

And specifically avoid overly bloated problematic antivirus software like McAfee.

Posts: 32569 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:

This.

It comes preloaded on many new computers from the factory, but uninstalling McAfee is one of the very first things you should do on a new computer. It's just bloatware, and one of the worst options for antivirus software besides.

Even if you had previously uninstalled it, if it's part of the factory software package then going back to a factory reset/restore like you apparently did will mean that it gets installed again and you have to uninstall it again.

99.9% of the time, Windows Defender is all you need for antivirus/antimalware. If you want to have a secondary software like Malwarebytes to specifically run the occasional supplemental scan, that's fine. But you don't need 2x/3x/4x real time antivirus programs running constantly, which will only cause issues. More is not necessarily better.

And specifically avoid overly bloated problematic antivirus software like McAfee.

Agree 100%. McAfee is bloatware, a huge resource suck. It's just slow your machine down and it only sorta works. Malwarebytes is OK, but IMO it's better to just stick with the stuff that comes with Windows.

Posts: 7280 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
As a last bit of unpleasantness, you can never completely remove all traces of their crappy software and don't know when or if it will pop back up somewhere to cause problems.

Revo Uninstaller WILL remove every last trace of a program.
https://www.revouninstaller.co...vo-uninstaller-free/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16263 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use nothing but the Windows version of antivirus and anti anything else nowadays.
The others are crap and do nothing but slow down your computer, cause miscellaneous problems and try to take money out of your wallet.
<<snip>>

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This! I used to use Norton AV, tried MacAfee, then some others. They were all crap and slowed my computer down terribly!

I then discovered and switched to the built-in Windows Defender, and it does a great job (have been virus free since I started using it over 5 years ago... possibly longer, I just cannot remember), and I see no noticeable decline in machine performance while it is active, even when doing an active virus scan!

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Have not heard of this one but just downloaded it on your recommendation. Thanks!!!

Posts: 4614 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
In any case, when data APPEARS to be lost, usually it’s not gone (erased or overwritten). It is just inaccessible. It can be retrieved.

It is extremely important that YOU DO NOT WRITE to disk. You make look but should not make ANY changes.

It is extremely usefull to have a bootable flash drive with a proper or compatible OS and recovery utilities like Hiren Boot CD or similar.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12151 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

quote:

Have not heard of this one but just downloaded it on your recommendation. Thanks!!!

There are numerous YouTube videos showing how to get the best results from this utility.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16263 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
McAfee might have been in there hidden from long ago use. Anyway it showed up on its own. After reset seems ok now.
Id like to know where windows went in the first place. Its unbelievable that I got no windows on startup.
I had to redo all my passwords. Good opportunity to drop the old crap.

SIGnature

Posts: 6330 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
McAfee might have been in there hidden from long ago use. Anyway it showed up on its own. After reset seems ok now.
Id like to know where windows went in the first place. Its unbelievable that I got no windows on startup.
I had to redo all my passwords. Good opportunity to drop the old crap.

Look at my post above, no reset or panic needed.
Not related to your AV but I agree that the built-in or malware bytes is all that is needed.

Posts: 22958 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Been using MWB for years. The windows protection said it stays in background. Firewall is up too.

SIGnature

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
<<snip>>
There are numerous YouTube videos showing how to get the best results from this utility.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip!

Posts: 4614 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Does the MS operating system boot to a shell if the GUI doesn't load? Serious question, I know it used to back when I was actually using Windows, but that was a long long time ago.

Are there boot flags you can pass, or key combos to disable loading the GUI?

If you do choose to not run the GUI, can you choose between DOS shell or PowerShell?

Posts: 6520 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
<<snip>>

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This! I used to use Norton AV, tried MacAfee, then some others. They were all crap and slowed my computer down terribly!

I then discovered and switched to the built-in Windows Defender, and it does a great job (have been virus free since I started using it over 5 years ago... possibly longer, I just cannot remember), and I see no noticeable decline in machine performance while it is active, even when doing an active virus scan!

quote:

I used to have revo but it can be over aggressive in deleting files (yes, there's a setting for that). But CCleaner is better at removing orograms and has more functionality.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19730 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Cleaner can't remove Microsoft Edge where Revo can

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Bob, you shouldn’t try to remove Edge as it is part of Windows and not an added program. It might result on deleting files also used by other core functions of Windows.

Better to ignore it and disable it loading at windows start.

Just saying.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12151 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No reason to remove Edge, it is now built on Chrome engine anyway.