SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Exam man AC install question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exam man AC install question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have a family member who's looking to add AC to their existing Trane furnace. It is a propane furnace. It is a model xr-95. I am estimating they'll need a 3 ton (possibly 2-1/2 ton) outdoor unit. Not a heat pump just an AC unit added to their furnace with a line set and thermostat. I don't know if the xr-95 has an a coil in it or not. What kind of a cost estimate would you estimate (rough) for the equipment and install. The house and the install of the original system was like 2015 I would say. Thank you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is EXCAM.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
YES IT IS. I was typing on a stupid phone. But thanks

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I texted Ex for you and gave him a heads up!

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 3 ton with a coils and plenum with the line kit and it was around $1700 at a hvac wholesale warehouse my installer set me up with.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Exam_Man. Hehehe

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate it M-Papa.

posted Hide Post
Furnaces don't have evaporator coils in them, so it'd have to have a separate coil box for one to be in the house.
Depending on the flow of heat (up flow/down flow/horizontal) the coil will be under, on top or to the side of the furnace.

As far as cost, location is a factor, SEER requirements for different areas.
Then you have the installation requirements:

Location of equipment
Access to equipment
Basement/crawlspace/attic
Electrical run requirements for the condenser and length of copper wiring $$$
Length of line set and install requirements, copper $$$
Does the furnace have to be removed to install the evaporator

I could give you a ballpark, but unless a lot of information is obtained and photos (to lay eyes on the job), the ball park wouldn't do anyone a bit of good.

Best thing to do, is call some local distributors and ask them who is the best installing company for your area.
They know who does quality work and who has the most warranty claims.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Don't just use the cold beer in hand for determining equipment, lots of factors at play
Have someone do load Calc
Most heating /cooling systems are sized for airflow for cooling side
If this is heating only, you probably will be short of air and fighting problems non stop.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
k, Thank you.

Sigmoid, adding an AC unit to this system is not going to be a problem. But thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:

If this is heating only, you probably will be short of air and fighting problems non stop.

How does one come up with such a comment?

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So Excam man. What would a home owner expect to pay equip wise for a 3 ton AC od unit and related items for say an 11 seer rated unit. I am guessing that for a mid level dealer volume wise they are buying eq. at 50% of of list up to maybe 50/10. At least that was normal a bunch of years ago when I was involved at the wholesale level.

Lets say the eq. list is $4k. On an average job. 2-3 days. Would the labor be $2500, $4k, more?

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

40 years as an HVAC engineer
Consultant for Carrier, Trane and US Govt. Military
CFM is the delivery boy for BTU

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well then, I would suggest you pull your head out of the sand and look into some common principles.

Let's start with the fact the homeowner probably lives in a colder climate, since they have a furnace installed instead of an air conditioner. Given that fact, their cooling load is probably minimum (requiring less CFM). Since heat was the general concern.

But since nobody here actually knows where the person in question lives, or what the actual requirements are for their home, why make wild ass comments which are unlikely to cross in the day to day HVAC industry?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So Excam man. What would a home owner expect to pay equip wise for a 3 ton AC od unit and related items for say an 11 seer rated unit. I am guessing that for a mid level dealer volume wise they are buying eq. at 50% of of list up to maybe 50/10. At least that was normal a bunch of years ago when I was involved at the wholesale level.

Lets say the eq. list is $4k. On an average job. 2-3 days. Would the labor be $2500, $4k, more?

First off, 13 SEER is the minimum for northern climates since 2006.
Second, pricing is subject to many factors... location being one of the primary factors (cost of living).

Without knowing the local market, anyone's pricing is unrelated and mute.

I know your looking for general, but when it comes to pricing, nothing is consistent.
Goes back to the fact this isn't a 'plug-n-play' industry.
The manufacturing happens on site and every jobsite has its obstacles. Unless someone can lay eyes on it, everything is a wild ass guess.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok, i get it. Not wanting to play. I understand. I should of listened the first time. I know it isn't that complicated. But I do understand not wanting throw costs around. Especially peak season and all Razz Thx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well then, I would suggest you pull your head out of the sand and look into some common principles.

Let's start with the fact the homeowner probably lives in a colder climate, since they have a furnace installed instead of an air conditioner. Given that fact, their cooling load is probably minimum (requiring less CFM). Since heat was the general concern.

But since nobody here actually knows where the person in question lives, or what the actual requirements are for their home, why make wild ass comments which are unlikely to cross in the day to day HVAC industry?

I would suggest you cool your EGO.
This thread isn't about you.
You're making some assumptions based on unknowns.
Apparently you missed the common principle of CFM?
(That's the measurement of airflow volume, determined by how many cubic feet of air pass by a stationary point in one minute.)

I was merely trying to help the OP in a situation that happens all to often.
Residential systems starving for return air are some of the most common problems; ductwork that was sized for heating only application.

Old Rugged Cross, seeking the assistance of real professionals who most likely would give you a free estimate will help avoid a potential costly mistake.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I would suggest you cool your EGO.

No EGO, no BULLSHIT either.

quote:
You're making some assumptions based on unknowns.

All while, you're not?
Common sense is common sense, no matter where one lives.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks you two for your input in this thread.

I was just trying to help a family member with a rough adder of an AC unit to their Trane high efficiency propane fired furnance system. It is in central Or. so yes Excan man it is a cooler low humidity area.
Just forget I asked. Thanks to you both. It is hot and I understand people are a bit over heated. Both take care.

Thanks guys.

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
ORC, you're welcome!
Just trying to shed light while others just wanna shed heat.
Good on you for helping family.
I'm out.