SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shotgun configuration import law question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun configuration import law question. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I have been trying to get ahold of a Fabarm “Pro Forces” stock for my FP6 since about 2010. It’s just the pistol grip version. I’ve emailed multiple times and never even gotten a response. Until now. This is what Fabarm just told me.

quote:
The STF stocks are not compatible with the FP6. Even if they were, ATF will not allow us to import the folding stock – or any stock configuration other than what is offered standard on the gun on our website. Unfortunately, this is the same problem we would have with the Pro-Forces stock you are interested in. Even if Italy has the part available, we cannot legally import it into the United States so we will not be able to provide one for you.

It’s just a pistol grip stock. I don’t see what the big deal is. Are these really banned from import? How do Benelli and Beretta get around this with their shotguns? Are the shotguns imported without stocks, the stocks made in the US and then assembled here? How is it Fabarm managed to import shotguns with pistol grip stocks before? Or is this employee just blowing me off?

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I believe it has something to do with the 1989 import ban. The firearm has to be of a certain number of US-made parts to be legal to sell in the US. So, the importer has to make the conversion (installation of US-made parts) themselves before the sale. Go to a 3-gun or semi auto shotgun forum and they'll probably have the exact info you need (and maybe a possible legal way to get you what you want).

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I wondered if it was something like that. The vagaries of our stupid gun laws strike again.

I’ll look around some more. Done a lot of searching and no luck so far. They’ve imported a number of “tactical” shotguns with the exact stock I’m looking for, so the answer they gave me doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this what you call a Pistol Grip Stock?

or is this what you call a Pistol Grip Stock?

Take note, the first image is a Clipart shot of the Fabarm FP6 "Pistol Grip Stock". The second image is a picture of a stock for my 20 gauge Beretta 686 Sporting. Take a look at the first stock and what you have is what our legislators call an Assault Weapon stock which is currently legal to manufacture in the USA and sell here but Illegal to import into the USA.

The stock style for my Beretta has been featured on infantry rifles since the 19th century and was the style used for the M1 Garand but our legislators don't consider those as those as Assault weapons and are perfectly legal to import.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m talking about the former. I know the latter is also called a “pistol grip stock,” but that definition came about before there were such a thing as existed in the first image. Anymore, I tend to go with the 1903 rifle verbiage for those with “curved” vs “scant,” depending.

If illegal to import, then they were making them stateside and I was still given a bit of a non-answer from them. I guess I’ll just have to run one down on the used market. Or give up. It’s not like they wanted to give the end user much of a choice.

posted Hide Post
HK Fabarms FP6

If you find one, let me know. Mine has the Choate folding stock that I would like to replace.

Posts: 1076 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post