SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are you manly enough for Mandom cologne? Actual early 70's commercial featuring Charles Bronson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you manly enough for Mandom cologne? Actual early 70's commercial featuring Charles Bronson Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Epic commercial, has it all!

Astonishing Charles Bronson Ad From Japan Puts Old Spice Guy To Shame

Facial hair, ripped abs, horseback riding, gunplay.
A new ad for Old Spice?

Not exactly.

It's an old commercial for the Japanese men's toiletry brand "Mandom" which — unlike Old Spice — is not a parody.

The ad in question stars the late Charles Bronson, who starred in the "Death Wish" franchise.

The seventies mega-hunk channels several leading men in the two-minute epic: Humphrey Bogart in "Play It Again Sam", Sean Connery in just about any Bond film, and himself in many of his tough-guy, vigilante roles.

Mandom recruited Bronson to promote the fragrance line after his film, "Once Upon A Time In The West" became a hit in Japan. He was perceived as the quintessential 'Western Man.'

The actor was paid $100,000 to star in the commercial which took Japanese director, Nobuhiko Ohbayashi, four days to shoot. Apparently, the sum exceeded the fees Bronson made for his memorable roles in both "The Magnificent Seven" and "The Great Escape" together.

The ad turned out to be as successful in Japan as Bronson's films. Within weeks of airing the commercial, Mandom become the No.1 selling male toiletry brand in the country.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Amazing. I was going to ask some snide question about his marinating himself in the stuff at the end of the day, but that $100,000 Bronson got for four days of work in 1968 equals over $739,000 in present day dollars. Whatever you say, Obayashi-san.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Then

Now

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's a big thing for western movie stars to make commercials for the Japan market. It avoids dilution of their "branding" in the US by appearing in commercials that nobody in America would ever see. You still rake in the big bucks (or would it be yen). You'd be amazed at the big stars you see in Japanese ads.

The movie Lost in Translation with Bill Murray is a great depiction of this phenomenon.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much Percy Helton was paid. Always liked him.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched those while serving in Korea. They were a hoot.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Charles Bronson used an entire styptic pencil every time he shaved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

The movie Lost in Translation with Bill Murray is a great depiction of this phenomenon.

first thing i thought of

excellent movie

if you've ever been to Japan it will make more sense

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of this Japanese commercial with Arnie... Not even close to being as cool as Bronson though

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3927 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that Mandom is an excellent gun lubricant, guaranteed to make you’re pistol go bang every time.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3539 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yes, even John Wick...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Apparently the stuff was very dilute, 'cause he had to spray a buttload of it on. Either that, or he uses the same application volume as my mom does on her perfume....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well - it certainly seems to work well for him as he hangs out in his apartment alone..... Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Guys remember Jack Bauer?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Man he poured that on like he was taking a shower.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I thought.. you probably could smell him from a mile away... must never actually wash....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, after a dousing like that, I’d sure hate to be trapped in an elevator with him.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post