SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We got asked if we are a “minority vendor”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We got asked if we are a “minority vendor” Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
When I was in business that question was in the bid documents for most larger jobs, especially any that were government. 5% preference IIRC. Ironically being female owned qualified as minority owned as well, even though there are more females than males.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7036 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Do you mind if I ask just who is asking you such a thing?

All fed.gov procurements have requirements for participation by:
- Woman owned
- Minority owned
- Disabled
- Service disabled
- HUBzone
- Ability One (in their new name I can’t recall)
and other businesses.

In addition there are set-aside, often no-bid contracts for those groups.

Para, as Sig2340 points out, it's pretty common in our area here around Washington, D.C. Large Prime Contractors are ofter required to award a certain percentage of subcontracts to small, disadvantaged, minority businesses. It gets stipulated in the contract.

I think you also have Native American owned and Native Alaskan Tribal owned.

8(a) businesses is an industry unto itself around the Washington D.C. area.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Place I worked in the late 90s was owned by a couple. In order to get a leg up on contracts, they set it up with the wife as “51% owner.” Worked like a charm cause they could say it was woman owned.

I have seen that quite a few times, especially with Government bids or contracts.

Posts: 22851 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol, I'm picturing a meme of the Ghostbusters standing atop the building and Zool asking "Are you a minority vendor". When someone asks if you are a minority vendor SAY YES!

Dont worry if you arent. In our wacky world you can now just identify as undecided.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My FIL was working for a company that managed to get the absolute best when it comes to minority owned business.
The owner set up a Native American (Indian for the rest of us) woman veteran as the head of the business.
They got all kinds of business because of the stupid rules the .gov uses for contracting

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11239 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I won an AZ gov't. competitive bid long ago, even though I'm as white as the day is long and had the highest price. I was the only bidder who correctly filled out the affirmative action form for the bid, so they had to award it to me. That was a sweet one.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you mind if I ask just who is asking you such a thing?

A charity buys ice cream from us, at cost, for a program which is operates at public schools.

The email came from someone at a school, which the charity has never heard of, and who is employed at a school which is not part of the program.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In that case, it's none of their freakin' business, is it?

Posts: 107241 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Minority vendor?
Sure, we sell to anyone.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
8(a) businesses is an industry unto itself around the Washington D.C. area.

Who says the government doesn't create jobs Roll Eyes

Posts: 765 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
A charity buys ice cream from us, at cost, for a program which is operates at public schools.

The email came from someone at a school, which the charity has never heard of, and who is employed at a school which is not part of the program.

Perhaps someone who either has a friend or relative in the business that provides the service for marketing purposes, or He/She/It/They are part of the administration that monitors this and thus any school or state rules on minority involvement in any vendor that supplies the school system.

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is the charity using the school’s money to buy the product?

What kind of world is it where a person can’t even be charitable if they don’t check the right boxes?

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Perhaps someone who either has a friend or relative in the business that...
Perhaps this is just a typically meddling woke nitwit with nothing better to do, who needs to be put in their place.

Posts: 107241 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Perhaps this is just a typically meddling woke nitwit with nothing better to do, who needs to be put in their place.

There is always that, the person in charge of checking these things, the title probably is Chief Wokeness Officer...

Aglifter, what school district is this happening in, can you get a copy of the districts vendor requirements from the main office. Is the Wokeness Czar from that location?

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I worked for an 8A firm in Columbia, MD in 1980. We did work for the FAA Communications Division.

Some of the proposals had the price increased by 100 percent or more. Additional people were hired that didn't have the experience to do the job.

Two of us that did all the work left and the firm nearly went under when the FAA canceled the contract. They also treated some people bad that were in the typing pool by not paying them overtime.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Interesting how many guys here have been involved in 8A contracts.

8A = $800k of profitable work, for $2.8MM from you the taxpayer.

That’s goober math all day long.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Is the charity using the school’s money to buy the product?

What kind of world is it where a person can’t even be charitable if they don’t check the right boxes?

So, welcome to the joys of the school lunch program - one of the more crooked things in government.

No one can donate more than $1000 of food, per year, to a school. So, the charity donates the money to the school, with the earmark that it be used to buy ice cream from us, since the founder of the charity “won’t serve anything of lower quality than she would serve her own family.”

(The charity is a really nice group, run by lovely people. I have employees who remember the charity, warmly, many years later, from their elementary school days)

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

There is always that, the person in charge of checking these things, the title probably is Chief Wokeness Officer...

Aglifter, what school district is this happening in, can you get a copy of the districts vendor requirements from the main office. Is the Wokeness Czar from that location?

She’s a secretary for a principle at a school which is not part of the program.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
She’s a secretary for a principle at a school which is not part of the program.
Color me shocked. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Place I worked in the late 90s was owned by a couple. In order to get a leg up on contracts, they set it up with the wife as “51% owner.” Worked like a charm cause they could say it was woman owned.

This is super common. Why not take advantage of their stupid rules?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post