SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Missing 3-year-old girl found in Missouri cornfield with dog by her side
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missing 3-year-old girl found in Missouri cornfield with dog by her side Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Kudos to the dog. IMO, he was a better pet than the woman was a mother.

A 3-year-old girl was found safe on Friday after spending the night in a rural Missouri cornfield with her faithful Yorkshire terrier by her side.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol said the whole incident began around 8:30 p.m. Thursday after officers received a 911 call that 3-year-old Remy Elliott wandered from her home in the town of Qulin, located about 175 miles south of St. Louis.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Clark Parrott told the Associated Press a search began that included an airplane, but the girl was not found overnight.

Volunteers joined police to search a cornfield Friday morning and eventually came across the girl after 8 a.m., when search dogs began barking — and a tiny dog voice started yapping in response.

"This is what #Community looks like. Law enforcement, 1st Responders and community volunteers coming together to find a missing child. Her dog stayed by her side all night. #StrongerTogether," police posted on Twitter.

Volunteer Makayla Hardcastle told FOX4 the thick corn field made it an especially challenging search.

“You don’t hear well in the corn either, so when somebody is yelling your name, I mean you hear them, but you don’t know where it is coming from. The corn feels like razor blades cutting you, I think anyway, especially for a child,” said Hardcastle.

Authorities said the small girl had several mosquito bites but was otherwise unharmed.

The girl's mother, Timber Merritt, told FOX4 she now is going to keep a close eye on those bites.

“I’ve never seen that many mosquito bites," she said. "We are going to give her a bath and keep putting medicine on it."

Merritt said that she plans to put up a fence so Remy won’t wander out of the yard again.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...dog-by-her-side.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Put up a fence? What kind of fucked up response is that? How about watching your damn kid?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Timber” sounds like Mother of the year material.

Posts: 26952 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You guys might be right about the mother. I do not know.
Once we thought my younger brother (about six yo) might have in fallen into a swift river we were camped by with a bunch of friends and drown. Found him fast asleep in a tent (not ours) under a bunch of sleeping bags and blankets.

A coworker and friend who was a Leo had a young daughter drown. Very unfortunate, but things do happen that are tragic. And yes if we could go back we would of made sure things were different. But that is not the case.

It is easy to judge others who make mistakes. lest us never make a mistake.

I am glad this little one is ok. Another example of a four legged angel doing all he could do to take care of his own. God bless him. Good boy little fella.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
...Merritt said that she plans to put up a fence so Remy won’t wander out of the yard again.

Keeping the kid strapped to that dog might be a good idea, too! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9187 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I raised 4 children, I know how fast they can disappear!
I was not there so I can not judge the mom.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Good fences make good parents.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I know they can disappear, the initial getting away is something that can happen to any parent. But usually when you find them again you add a level of vigilance to your parenting, you don't just say, hey I guess I'll put a fence up. How about child gates in the house or an alarm or something?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Cornfield, guys, cornfield.

Look for the Signs.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15911 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Small dog. BIG heart!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Nice dog story

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not judging the mom, either. Corn around here right now is getting close to six feet tall already. They plant the rows so close together that you can't see past two of them. It's hard to hear in it and can be easy to get lost. It's tough to see into with infrared because it generates a ton of heat.

Posts: 5169 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I'm not judging the mom, either. Corn around here right now is getting close to six feet tall already. They plant the rows so close together that you can't see past two of them. It's hard to hear in it and can be easy to get lost. It's tough to see into with infrared because it generates a ton of heat.

Agreed, obviously never been in a cornfield. A grown-up can get lost easily in 100'

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Mom not at fault -- kids need to turn off the screen, get outside, and get their hands dirty, and it sounds like that's just what this little girl was doing with her dog! Kids are going to be kids, and that's why we love 'em.

Buy that dog a steak, though! Good boy!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post