SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the wooden deck experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the wooden deck experts Login/Join 
posted
Have a deck made with old PT 2x6’s that needs paint or a thick stain. Not looking to replace boards at this point, but I’ll have to do some sanding to get old loose finish off. Any suggestions for a product that can be rolled or brushed on that won’t start peeling off in less than a couple of years?

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
1. Wear proper PPE sanding PT lumber...dust is toxic and an irritant.
2. Nails and screws, if used, in top of wood will tear up any attempts to sand - suggest a good cleaner and pressure wash <15,000 psi to not tear up wood.
3. You will be hard pressed to find ANY stain/treatment to last more than 2 years on old PT lumber - find a good semi-transparent stain.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used WoodRX for years and I am very pleased.

https://woodrx.com/

Posts: 875 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
If the under structure is solid, prob better to replace the deck instead of gouging out the surface layer with high pressure and then sealing that with some polymer. You'll be back in the same boat very soon afterward. Might be less headache to just replace the deck surface boards (depending on any complexities related to existing railing mounting method etc). Weigh the relative cost, effort or headache, simplicity etc. of replacing vs extending the life of an old deck that may already be near or at end of life.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post