SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    St Louis Is Dying
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

St Louis Is Dying Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
St. Louis city is a very unique place compared to most cities in the U.S. When you talk about the dangers of the city everyone’s mind goes to the downtown/riverfront area. The people who love the city and are seeing the changes are never near that area and like areas around Forest park, the central west end, the grove, etc.

Yes, of course.
There are pockets that are still very nice. There are also areas people should know to stay away from... especially at night. I've also noticed a growing number of crazy/careless drivers blatantly ignoring traffic signals and going through them at a high rate of speed. People didn't do that 10 years ago even because they would get pulled over and at least get ticketed. Now, there is too much crime to bother with traffic laws.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

KevinCW. St. Louis County police officer. Haven't seen him around lately...
He stepped out to buy some pants.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, of course.
There are pockets that are still very nice. There are also areas people should know to stay away from... especially at night. I've also noticed a growing number of crazy/careless drivers blatantly ignoring traffic signals and going through them at a high rate of speed. People didn't do that 10 years ago even because they would get pulled over and at least get ticketed. Now, there is too much crime to bother with traffic laws.
Even city lovers will tell you the drivers are nuts and a stoplight is a mere suggestion.

I was going to Tower Grover park two weeks ago and got my first speeding ticket in 30 years. Tower grove is a long way from downtown but is considered the city so the citywide speed limit of 25 applied and I was doing 38.

I felt like telling the cop “thanks for keeping the city safe”. He could park near any red light in the downtown area and see people blasting through red lights all day which is way more dangerous and expensive for the city. A young girl on a trip sued the city for millions after getting hit by a red light runner and losing her legs.

Of course I didn’t since I suppose he’s just doing his job.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I saw what you did there...:-)

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
St. Louis city is a very unique place compared to most cities in the U.S. When you talk about the dangers of the city everyone’s mind goes to the downtown/riverfront area. The people who love the city and are seeing the changes are never near that area and like areas around Forest park, the central west end, the grove, etc.

Yes, of course.

I know it's wrong and I do not run red lights but in a way I can sympathize. Around here it's gotten so every intersection has traffic lights and every side street with a trickle of cars keeps the lights stopping a high volume of cars on the main roads. This creates stupid amounts of traffic. Every drive is from red light to red light to red light. I hate it. It doubles the time it takes to get anywhere. I sent 50 minutes traveling 6 miles the other day.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 333 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jed7s9b:
quote:
quote:

Yes, of course.

I know it's wrong and I do not run red lights but in a way I can sympathize. Around here it's gotten so every intersection has traffic lights and every side street with a trickle of cars keeps the lights stopping a high volume of cars on the main roads. This creates stupid amounts of traffic. Every drive is from red light to red light to red light. I hate it. It doubles the time it takes to get anywhere. I sent 50 minutes traveling 6 miles the other day.

Sounds like a timing issue if you’re being serious about 50 minutes to go 6 miles.

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Even city lovers will tell you the drivers are nuts and a stoplight is a mere suggestion.

I was going to Tower Grover park two weeks ago and got my first speeding ticket in 30 years. Tower grove is a long way from downtown but is considered the city so the citywide speed limit of 25 applied and I was doing 38.

We lived in Tower Grove East right next to Compton Heights on Shenandoah for four years (2008-2012). In those four years of living in the city and commuting the wrong way to Clayton I NEVER saw a STL officer running stationary traffic. I don't even think most of their cars had radar. They were too busy responding to burglaries, assaults, etc. The ONE time I ever saw one run traffic was when I was living in Maryland Heights and was going to court downtown on I-70 in the express lanes. I encountered a 2004ish black Impala actually marked "Traffic Enforcement" STL police car. He got me with a well earned speeding ticket albeit with no other vehicles in the express lanes.

I've never seen them when other "residents" pass me when I stop at a four way stop sign at over 30mph. I've never seen them when other "residents" do a right hand turn at a stop light from the left lane, turning in front of other stopped cars in the right lane. I've never seen them when other "residents" slalom through traffic on the interstate doing 90 in a 55.

The City of St. Louis does not seem to desire to generate traffic enforcement income the way the suburbs do. Despite having their own Municipal Court with a daily docket and City Counselor's office.

My wife got into an accident on Compton south of SLU where she was going to school. Some "residents" merged into the side of her car. They said they didn't have insurance and were trying to pressure her into believing it was her fault. I told her to call 911. I got there 15 minutes later and she said the one driving switched with the passenger, from what I determined later on, the real driver had a suspended license. However, the one who identified himself as the driver to the police had a warrant. Police didn't do anything about it. Exchange of information form, that's it. I resolved the damages with meeting one of them at the Bread Co. on South Grand where he gave me cash. Closest I've ever felt I was going to be jumped in my life.

Iowa sure is alot more quiet, and we even had tornados this week.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooh, oooh! (Raising hand from back of class) Roundabouts can fix that red light issue! NOT!

I hope the bastard that designed them is smoking turds in Purgatory or some other vile place!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
We lived in Tower Grove East right next to Compton Heights on Shenandoah for four years (2008-2012)...

Steve,
I don't think I ever heard your story before... but I'm sure we would find we know some of the same people if we got together for a beer or lunch.
I bet Iowa is a lot more quiet!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
There is something seriously wrong with society when 13 and 14 year-old boys are murderers...

Second boy, 14, charged with murder during 48-hour south St. Louis crime spree

ST. LOUIS — A 14-year-old boy was charged as an adult Tuesday with killing a woman during a 48-hour crime spree last year that included nine carjackings, two ATM robberies and the shooting death of a woman.

Brian Wellington, of Overland, is facing charges of first-degree murder, attempted robbery and two counts of armed criminal action in the death of 38-year-old Kay Johnson in the 4700 block of Compton Avenue.

Charging documents say Wellington and another boy, Deshaun Harris, were riding in a stolen 2019 Nissan sedan on Jan. 24, 2023, when they got out and approached Johnson’s vehicle. Both boys were armed, and Johnson’s daughter was in the car, too.

Wellington approached the driver’s side while Harris walked up to the passenger’s window. They ordered Johnson to get out of the car, but when she didn’t, Harris shot her in the head, charges say.

Brian Wellington, 14, was charged April 16, 2024 with first-degree murder, attempted robbery and armed criminal action in a string of carjackings, one of which was fatal. (Credit: St. Louis jail)

A third boy was arrested by police and admitted he had been involved in multiple carjackings over a two-day period and identified Harris and Wellington.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/...3f-eb5e6353594d.html

-rduckwor

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is something seriously wrong with society...
A bit too broad, if you're going to correctly identify the issue.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is something seriously wrong with society when 13 and 14 year-old boys are murderers...

Second boy, 14, charged with murder during 48-hour south St. Louis crime spree

ST. LOUIS — A 14-year-old boy was charged as an adult Tuesday with killing a woman during a 48-hour crime spree last year that included nine carjackings, two ATM robberies and the shooting death of a woman.

Brian Wellington, of Overland, is facing charges of first-degree murder, attempted robbery and two counts of armed criminal action in the death of 38-year-old Kay Johnson in the 4700 block of Compton Avenue.

Charging documents say Wellington and another boy, Deshaun Harris, were riding in a stolen 2019 Nissan sedan on Jan. 24, 2023, when they got out and approached Johnson’s vehicle. Both boys were armed, and Johnson’s daughter was in the car, too.

Wellington approached the driver’s side while Harris walked up to the passenger’s window. They ordered Johnson to get out of the car, but when she didn’t, Harris shot her in the head, charges say.

Brian Wellington, 14, was charged April 16, 2024 with first-degree murder, attempted robbery and armed criminal action in a string of carjackings, one of which was fatal. (Credit: St. Louis jail)

A third boy was arrested by police and admitted he had been involved in multiple carjackings over a two-day period and identified Harris and Wellington.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/...3f-eb5e6353594d.html

A lack of a family structure for starters.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
There is something seriously wrong with society...
A bit too broad, if you're going to correctly identify the issue.

"A lack of a family structure for starters."
1s1k beat me to it...
Fatherless upbringing.

LBJ said we could have a Great Society if we eliminated poverty by giving checks to unwed mothers.
He also said "I'll have them niggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years!"

-rduckwor

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Big Grin

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
We lived in Tower Grove East right next to Compton Heights on Shenandoah for four years (2008-2012)...

Steve,
I don't think I ever heard your story before... but I'm sure we would find we know some of the same people if we got together for a beer or lunch.
I bet Iowa is a lot more quiet!

I'm certain we would. I haven't practiced in St. Louis since 2012 when we moved. I started out at a firm in Clayton in 2006 awaiting my bar results. Wife started her new job in Iowa in 2011 after graduating from SLU. I stayed behind 6 months to get my 5 years in for reciprocity to Iowa and our house wasn't selling. We ended up selling it for a 10% loss.

I miss St. Louis, but I don't miss alot of its baggage. It's really had some rough breaks, some of it its own causing, some of it (the airport-TWA-9/11) just bad timing/luck. It really likes to put lots of eggs in one basket in massive projects/attractions that it thinks will turn things around.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It really likes to put lots of eggs in one basket in massive projects/attractions that it thinks will turn things around.

Well, the 1904 World's Fair was a huge success! Big Grin

https://www.theatlantic.com/ph...-fair-photos/597658/

-rduckwor