SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Time Ski Trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Time Ski Trip Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
https://www.ski.com/

Book early.
Look at the options the resorts offer--pool, ice skating, local tourist attractions.

Look at the airport and distance to the destination. Remember--you will be arriving /departing during the winter, add a day for weather delays. Small, regional airports in the West are SMALL- basically the gate and the tarmac.

If you live at sea level--it will take some time to acclimate to 10,000' above sea level.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Fly into Denver...90-120 minute drive to Keystone. VERY good runs for first-timers.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat Utah. Balze's post is very good advice. The Residence inn is right at the base of the mountain and their are four resorts that are very easy to get to with about a twenty minute drive up the canyon's. The Residence Inn is surrounded by close restaurants so food is easy to find and if you haven't skied before you are going to be tired after a day on the mountain. The less driving the better.

Brighton and Solitude are nice resorts with good varied terrain unless you want to avoid the rabble that is the knuckle dragging snow boarders Wink. If that is the case then hit Alta up Little cottonwood canyon where snow boarders aren't permitted. Just keep this in mind if the kiddos want to go single plank. Alta won't be available to them.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for the information. I am quite ignorant about this, so I'm sure I'll have more questions.

We will look into the Utah resorts.

Has anyone skied in the Crested Butte area? That's close enough to drive to from our location.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett257:
Thanks, everyone, for the information. I am quite ignorant about this, so I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Has anyone skied in the Crested Butte area? That's close enough to drive to from our location.

Crested Butte is mostly an expert ski area

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I skied Crested Butte every year from the late 90's through 2009. It is my favorite resort by far. I was an expert level skier, but I took several beginners there and they did well.

quote:

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:

The trouble with Crested Butte is that it is owned by Vail. Their business model is to make day tickets so expensive that it encourages you to buy their Epic Pass good at all their areas. This mentally locks you into their areas if you want to ski elsewhere. I think a day ticket at Vail last year was over $200. Ski there five days and you would have been able to buy an unlimited adult Epic Pass with money left over.

If you're close enough to drive to Crested Butte, take a look at Wolf Creek which should also be within your driving range.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most, if not all, of the greens at Crested Butte are mid-mountain and lower, if that matters. Plenty of greens to ski though. It is our favorite place to go. Crested Butte is actually town at bottom of mountain. Up the mountain is Mt. Crested Butte. Driving to Crested Butte from Oklahoma in the winter was sometimes a challenge. Not sure if there is much nightlife. We always enjoyed Heavenly too with Lake Tahoe spread out below as you ski down.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I haven't skied in 20+ years. My only advice is that since you have never skied would be to prepare your legs before hand. Knees and inner thighs can get a hell of a workout skiing. Being sore the next day sucks!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great input and advice from everyone this far.

From the department of helpful advice -

If you are going to be renting equipment and don’t want to wear a helmet that’s already been on the heads of 100 people or more before it goes onto yours, you may want to consider buying a ‘budget’ helmet for everyone that will be skiing and/or riding.

They have basic features and styling, offer adequate protection and can be had for about $30-$40 from a place like Costco. The one near us also sells ski gloves, goggles and chemical pack hand-warmers.

I ski patrol at Blue Mountain Resort just north of Allentown, PA, so let me know if you choose to go there (LOL!) and we’ll get together for some runs!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Logistically flying in to DIA anything roughly 60 miles west of Denver. Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin. Personally I've lived my entire life in Colorado and never been skiing once. Never found the logic in going up to the top of a mountain and willingly throwing yourself off.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
I haven't skied in 20+ years. My only advice is that since you have never skied would be to prepare your legs before hand. Knees and inner thighs can get a hell of a workout skiing. Being sore the next day sucks!

Good advice here. Also get the cardio tweaked up. My sea level training program didn't fare too well last year. The altitude will really kick your butt. Hydrate and avoid alcohol at least the first day or so. Altitude sickness is a real thing and no fun. Had to drive a buddy out of Summit county once at 2 am because his flared up.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My first-ever ski trip was a surprise side trip to Heavenly/Lake Tahoe a couple of years ago while we were in Reno. My wife planned for us to rent equipment but ski clothes, goggles, and gloves were purchase items and were ridiculously priced. I already had a parka (not a ski parka, but good enough), and she’d bought hers online in advance and got as good or better quality at less than half the price I paid for my items. Planning in advance, wherever you go, can be a wise, cost-effective move.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Might sound crazy, but don’t necessarily rule out Canada or Europe. Amazingly, even with travel costs and exchange rates, the total cost of a ski trip can often be cheaper in those places than staying stateside. Skiing in the US, especially lift passes is very expensive. It also depends on your dates and how much time you have available for a trip as things like the time change can be tough for a short trip. We’ve skied as a family all over the US, Canada and Europe, and for price and amazing scenery, Europe wins every time.
This year the big unknown will be possible travel restrictions because of COVID, but Europe just opened back up to US tourists.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Crested Butte is a great town and ski area. One reason it is not more popular is it so far from Denver, but that keeps the crowds down. Family oriented and safe enough the kids can learn the shuttle in a day and go back in forth from the town to the mountain by themselves and not get lost. I went as a 12 year old and have been going back for 40 years (mostly in the summer these days). I am going mountain biking, hiking and fly fishing next week.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
For first timers, nothing worse than playing in the snow and the searing memory is bad gear and freezing/wet feelings. You need to make the investment in good socks, base layers and good bottoms.

YES! I still remember my first time skiing in NC in a pair of blue jeans. Cold and wet is exactly right and it was 40 yrs ago. :-)

"Well a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin"
Deputy Marshal Rooster Cogburn

Posts: 263 | Location: PNW | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post