SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cat owners, does your cat ever go on a walk with you?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat owners, does your cat ever go on a walk with you? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
When Ollie (my 11 year old cat) is outside and I call him he usually comes running, and he often stays along side me for a ways when I'm walking around the yard, but he's never actually gone on a walk with me before.
There's a trail that runs from the yard down through the woods, along a bottom wet area, down again, then along a stream. Maybe 1/4 mile down to the stream. My friend wanted to walk down and I told her go ahead I'll catch up with you after I go in and tend the stove.
So when I go out there's Ollie sitting on the porch, I say "come on Ollie let's go for a walk" and damn if he didn't walk right with me as we followed Sophie (the dog) down the trail. I figured he'd turn around or wander off somewhere but he went the whole way, with me right behind. Hung around there while my friend took a few pics then followed us back. We had to wait for maybe 30 seconds a couple times while he stopped apparently to rest, but then he'd get up and follow along. I don't know that much about cats but I just thought it was cool that a cat would do this. Is this typical?

Back to the house.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cat seems to know where I am going and will walk in front of me to our shared destination. Maybe we both know each other too well.
In your case, I have heard other cat owners say their cats accompany them everywhere they go.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have owned at least two cats that would sometimes walk with me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Never had a cat go on a walk with me. As a kid, we had a mainly outdoor cat (hated AC but loved the heater) and not even she would.

I did have a cat as a teen that would go outdoors occasionally. If I suddenly started sprinting she would chase me down, and then turn around and want me to chase after her. Kind of odd, but amusing.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23655 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Mine are indoor ONLY, but my best friend and his wife are fostering a kitty (which they'll probably wind up keeping) that EXPECTS to go out with them when they take the dogs for a walk. I'm not sure if they put him on a leash too or not. Hilarious!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
When I was a ten, one of our cats would often follow me out into the woods.

I'd have a BB gun or air rifle and attempt to eradicate the local crow population. The cat, 'Tuffy', helped remove the evidence of any kills I got so that Mom wouldn't raise hell. Big Grin

The two cats that my wife and I have now are both primarily indoor only.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
OK Yooper and Gary so it's somewhat typical. Probably 14 years back (before we got Ollie) my wife had two short hair cats but they weren't nearly as social as Ollie. Once she put collars on them, attached a little leash to try to take them on a walk but they both just laid there kicking at the collar, couldn't even get them to stand up, so that was the end of that. Ollie behaves more like dog.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

.....The two cats that my wife and I have now are both primarily indoor only.

Yeah Ollie was always an indoor cat but after my wife passed and Ollie and I now live out in the country away from the road so I let him out whenever he wants..... which isn't too often now that it's cold LOL. I kind of worry that something might get him, but he so loves wandering around and doesn't seem to stray too far from the house and garage so I'm just letting him enjoy his cat life how he wants in his old age.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Yes. Had a maine coon that would go for walks. Our current cat which is a tortoise shell initially did until she got caught up in a fight with a Tom cat. Now she hates the outside that is not withing 20 feet of the house.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Every now and then one of our cats would walk part way with me and the dog. They never seemed interested in going quite as far as the dog and I and would stop walking and start whining for us to come back.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had one in the past.

His name was Sebastian. He was a Blue Smoke Persian. More tempered like a dog than a cat.
One day when he was a kitten I had accidentally left open the side door and was tuning a car engine in the garage. I had the engine running and was revving it up and looked down and he was sitting by me calmly looking at the car. Loved to go for rides in all types of cars including convertibles... Very quiet cat, seldom meowed. He would walk along the docks, beach and forest with me. Very friendly.
Lost him at 12 years of age to Autosomal Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD).
Rascal made it two years past his diagnosis end date ...

When it came to cats, he was the man.

Posts: 1512 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I had one in the past.

His name was Sebastian.....
When it came to cats, he was the man.

Awe Sebastian was a good one. Ollie's always been a little like Sebastian, not so much loving to ride in a car but just seeming to love being with me. If I have my head under the kitchen sink working on the drain I can count on Ollie being there to see what I'm doing.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We only had one outdoor cat. An all black cat showed up on our porch one Halloween night. We named her Boo and took her in. She wasn’t having it. So she became an indoor/outdoor cat. After a few years she would walk my daughter up the street when she walked to school then come back home. She knew what time to go pick her up at the corner too.

Sometime later Boo disappeared for a few months. Then one day while I was walking home, she came out of someone’s house and walked home with me. Then some lady came over and told us we stole her cat. I took Boo outside and said let her choose. She chose us.

17 years later, Boo is still with us and an indoor only cat now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
My cats walk with me all the time, they even come when I whistle and when they feel like it. Smile

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Ours have little leashes, cuz they are not 'outdoor wise'.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, 2 just about everyday, without leashes & we're the hit of the neighborhood.

perfect tuxedo + the polydactyl tabby with 6 toes on front paws.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Awe, that's cute! I ain't buyin' it though.... Roll Eyes

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Awe, that's cute! I ain't buyin' it though.... Roll Eyes

It's twue, it's twue!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Only if I'm walking toward the kitchen, where her food bowl lies.

Posts: 7400 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
ridewv, looks like you have a great setup with a nice walk on your property where you, Ollie and his buddies can roam.

Dunno what nuture/nature leads to a cat that behaves that way. I don't think it's very common.

BTW, my wife (grew up in NYC and never had a pet) tried using a harness and leash on Sebastian. He didn't much care for it and it was a one time affair.

Posts: 1512 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post