SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shocked At How Dead Our Formerly Busy Local Diner Was Last Night
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shocked At How Dead Our Formerly Busy Local Diner Was Last Night Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Wow Confused

We have a local diner that up until last year was owned by the same family, it was always very popular and busy and very good food for a good price, nothing fancy, a lot good of PA Dutchy stuff and diner fare.

The woman who was the second generation owner/operator was in her 70’s and wanted to finally retire so she sold it about a year ago to a family that owns several other diners in the area. They didn’t really make many changes other than letting the waitresses change out of very old fashioned and outdated 1950’s era white waitress informs to black pants and black t-shirt and they unfortunately DID eliminate the awesome baked goods the diner featured as they brought in their own pies and cakes, cream puffs etc from their other operations.

Last time we ate there maybe 6 months ago it was still booming and lots of regulars, you could barely get in the door on a Saturday night with people lined up waiting for tables and booths.

We decided to go eat there with the kids last night, Saturday night at 7 and it was clearly apparent that something was wrong. It was DEAD inside. One waitress on duty and maybe 3 other tables when we sat down.

I opened up the menu and saw the reason; the PRICES. They were WAY WAY higher than last time we ate there, now I noticed that under the old owner they did seem a little on the low side for what you got like she wasn’t keeping up on them. The new owners jacked most things on that menu up 50+% though and I think it totally scared people off.

Now I’m not sure they’ll make it, place has been in business since like 1950.

The food was not great either, not like I remember getting. The whole place just felt sad and abandoned. Frown

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I'm done eating out.

I wake at 0400 or a bit earlier even on my days off.
I like to go to the place down the road from me when they open and have breakfast in peace on the weekend before everyone wakes up.
$17.50 for a Denver omelette, used to be about $8 and the side of three pancakes that were as big as the plate are now two Eggo waffle size.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a small Mom and Pop diner about 15 minutes from the house . The husband passed from Covid a little over a year ago and his wife is working her butt off trying to keep it going . Labor shortages and price increases are making it a struggle . We enjoy going somewhere that we are on a first name basis with the owner and several of the servers . There's nothing she can do about the increase in costs except to pass it on . We get it . We used to go at least once a week and sometimes twice . Now we go maybe once a week . Not sure how long she can hang on .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well, I am a firm believer that groceries are up 30-40%. Besides that finding good help is very difficult and if you can find them. You will need to pay them close to double what was the case less than 3 years ago. So if you understand these things and do the math it is not hard to understand the duress these small business' face. Saw the price of fuel lately? Lucky that the door and windows are not boarded up.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19208 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Well, I am a firm believer that groceries are up 30-40%. Besides that finding good help is very difficult and if you can find them. You will need to pay them close to double what was the case less than 3 years ago. So if you understand these things and do the math it is not hard to understand the duress these small business' face. Saw the price of fuel lately? Lucky that the door and windows are not boarded up.

I would say more like 50% higher now.
It used to be about $250 for a weeks groceries, maybe up to $300 if non essentials are tossed in.
Last week it was just over $500 with no chips or stuff like that.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Groceries here are up perhaps 20% or thereabouts.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My wife told me the other day that a lot of the staples she gets from Aldi are doubled in price, so up 100%

Gallon of milk 2-3 years ago was $2.75, now it’s $5.95

Pound of butter was $1.89, now pushing $4-$5 a pound

It’s like we are back right at the bad parts of the 1970’s Frown

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted June 05, 2022 01:06 PM Hide Post
Roll Eyes

This is a complete crock. This is certainly

Not the case where I am either.

posted Hide Post
One pound of Chicken breast from the deli at the Yooper grocery store on Friday: $9.05
Lunch at local small bar, consisting of a patty melt, fries and drink on Thursday: $18.50 with tip.
Cat food is up drastically and often not in stock.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
For those who don't understand economics, you're seeing the beginning of a serious wake up call.

"We just won't eat out, it's too expensive" leads to a decline in sales, and possible business closure. Then all of the money which that business spent (and taxes paid) is no longer flowing which hurts every entity that they did business with.

Sooner or later that process flows to your job/employer as they will have fewer people spending money with them. It will snowball.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My wife told me the other day that a lot of the staples she gets from Aldi are doubled in price, so up 100%

Gallon of milk 2-3 years ago was $2.75, now it’s $5.95

Pound of butter was $1.89, now pushing $4-$5 a pound

It’s like we are back right at the bad parts of the 1970’s Frown

Aldi prices in Iowa for many staples have more than doubled in price in the past year. Based on most financial predictions, we haven't see anything yet.

Posts: 2369 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What needs to be done, to break this cycle and start us back on the path to recovery?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30705 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Personally V-Tail, I feel like a deep and painful recession. One that has not been seen since the depression. I am not wishing for one. But do think it is possible.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Roll Eyes

You know, you can be a real asshole, can't you.

Then again, most people who wear their religion on their sleeve usually are.

Since you don't live here, don't presume to tell me what I'm paying.

A year ago I paid around $150 when I went grocery shopping.

Wednesday I paid $185.00 buying essentially the same stuff.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Diesel fuel at close to $6 a gallon plays into the price increases as well.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
For me it goes like this: hear a restaurant is being sold, wonder what they'll change, go to eat under new owners, magic is gone, I'm pretty much done.

Posts: 7464 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
quote:
Roll Eyes

You know, you can be a real asshole, can't you.

Then again, most people who wear their religion on their sleeve usually are.

Since you don't live here, don't presume to tell me what I'm paying.

A year ago I paid around $150 when I went grocery shopping.

Wednesday I paid $185.00 buying essentially the same stuff.

He must be a Biden voter in denial. Aside from that the only way I’d say you are wrong is that it’s probably up closer to 25 percent.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm expecting a lot more restaurants to go under. Bad enough they survived Covid lockdowns. Their costs have exploded. We see the food costs with our own purchases. These guys have to add staff labor, insurance, diesel truck delivery surcharges on everything supplied to them.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
As to the restaurant being dead, you might also consider that it is that time of the year where more people are at the beach or on vacation and local places have a down turn in business. I see it this time of the year around here ever year.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post