SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Horse Riding For The First Time: How Long?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse Riding For The First Time: How Long? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Riding a horse has been on my bucket list for a long, long time. Just never got around to it. Well, we have relatives visiting from Europe, soon, and the niece-in-law loves horses. So her and I are going to hit a nearby riding stable.

My wife put in reservations for my niece-in-law and me for two hours. The young lady probably won't have a problem with that, as she's ridden before.

I have not. Thus the question: Is two hours on a horse, for the first time ever, too much?

Follow-up question: Would I look like a poseur if I wore one of my cowboy hats?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no hat, poseur Wink. It's not that difficult for your first time. Horses will sense your attitude, so be cool, try not to be nervous. They'll mostly follow whatever input you are giving them. Two hours will be a nice ride. I've ridden a few horses, but am by no means an expert. Respect them, and they'll respect you. Have fun!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Two hours is fine.
Western hat, for sure.

Have fun.

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Two hours is fine.
Western hat, for sure.

Have fun.

…And boots are preferred.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I agree, you're good at two hours. I'm not a rider, and the last time I rode was about two hours, which was fine.

Slight thread drift - I learned, from a Longmire novel I think, why cowboy boots have smooth soles. That's because if you fall off the horse, the treads won't catch up in the stirrup and you won't be dragged. Interesting trivia.

Have fun!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Two hours is plenty time and a good way to start. You might be a little saddle sore after two hours in the saddle but not bad. If you decide to go longer on subsequent rides work your way up on time. If you spend an entire day on a horse without conditioning, you will wish you had not. There is no better way to enjoy the outdoors and nature than from the back of a good horse. Enjoy your adventure!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can borrow a saddle from someone and sit on it while watching tv for a few minutes each day you will do a lot better.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Make damn sure your stirrups are correctly adjusted. Too long and your sack will never be the same. Too short and your knees will take a real beating. It’s not like there is a 6” sweet spot either.

If you have pain stop and have it addressed, don’t man up, your wrangler would stop if he’d missed something.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
If you can borrow a saddle from someone and sit on it while watching tv for a few minutes each day you will do a lot better.
I think straddling a 500 gallon propane tank is a good trainer too. Wink

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
As long as they don't give you the stallion named "Widowmaker," you'll be fine.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Stirrup adjustment is a big thing! Wrong length and you legs dangle and you won’t be able to “stand up” to adjust and take weight off. Makes it rough to get on and off as well. Too short and stiff well make your toes twist in and tweak the knees.

Keep stuff out of your pockets, especially the rear. Two hours isn’t long but some ibuprofen before hand and maybe an allergy pill if you haven’t spent much time around horses and stable. If it’s

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on a horse but I’d like to go again as a regular thing.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yeah two hours. I took my daughter for the first time a couple years ago and we did two hours the first time and were fine. I used to ride a lot but it had been 20 years so I might as well have been new at it.

We go every few months and our rides now last around 3 hours. Physically we could stay on longer but 3 hours has been the sweet spot.

Enjoy your ride. I forgot how much I love being on a horse.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Horses are amazing creatures. I love horses and am fascinated by them. They are truly one of God's most amazing creations.

The average person knows nothing factual about horses, they are nothing like our domestic friends, the dogs and cats, etc.

I'd like you to watch this video, and rewatch it a few more times. The reason is, if you will become aware of the fascinating nature of horses, and learn something from this video, your ride will be much more a rich and fascinating experience. You will be more in tune with the horse and appreciate your ride more.

The video has interesting things to know, and practical things for you to be aware of during the first moments when you and the horse meet each other and as your ride progresses. Other sections are just great to know and understand in general horse nature and behavior.

Best wishes to you, enjoy your experience, and maybe you will find it so good that you'll come back for more.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s a little more complicated than that. Are you reasonably fit or way overweight? If you’re pretty fit and your knees are good, just ask if they have a saddle that’s narrow down through the front of the saddle, much easier on the knees. Sit up on your pelvic bones, not back on your pockets. When you want your horse to stop, pick up the reins (the horse will feel the reins being raised), sit down in the saddle, rock your feet forward, say “whoa,” and pull back on the reins until the horse comes to a stop, then release the pressure on his mouth. If he moves again, apply pressure again, then relax the pressure again. Enjoy yourself, that’s what you’re there for. The hat doesn’t matter. Wear it if you like.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Stirrup length is key; as is posture. Keep your body vertical to gravity, not the ground. I.e., you will lean a bit forward going up hill, and a bit back going down. When on level ground, shoulders, hips, and ankles align.

Look where you want to go; horses can sense the position of your head. Your job is to worry about what is "out there", the horses job is to figure out where to put its feet. You do your job, let the horse do its job.

If you are given a western saddle KEEP YOUR HAND ON THE REINS IN FRONT FRONT FRONT OF THE SADDLE HORN. Yes, I'm shouting. Trail horses have lots of ways to let you know who's boss. One way is to wait until you drop your rein hand low, down behind the horn. They will then drop the head like a stone and smash your fingers into the horn. They do this to tell you to leave them alone and let them do their job.

I imagine you will have a great time. Enjoy every minute, go again soon, and take some vacation time to ride Wyoming or Montana on a family vacation at a dude ranch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I know just enough about horses to say that two hours uninterrupted in the saddle, when you've never done it before and aren't used to it, and at your age, is likely to leave you worn out, if not before the end of your session, not long afterwards. Still worth it. Smile Now you've got me thinking about it. Big Grin

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I owned horses for a number of years 25 years ago. We rode lots of trails, horse camped with mules and helped ranchers move cattle. We loved it but as our kids got older, our interests shifted and we sold the horses, the trailer, the tack and the shoeing equipment.

We have some very fond memories of those years. Good like and don’t wear tennis shoes.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Follow-up question: Would I look like a poseur if I wore one of my cowboy hats?

The stable will probably require that you wear a riding helmet.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
we did 90 minutes, and it was plenty.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My first time (in a long while) was when I first met my wife. At the time she was a horse mounted police officer, but she also had a POH (personally owned horse), a Belgian Draft. We went out to the stables, and she asked if I wanted to ride. She gave me a leg up, and I failed to grab anything at the top and went sailing right over to the ground on the other side. I later learned how to mount that tall, gentle horse. Lead him over to a large rock, and climb up from there. Even then, I had to belly flop onto his back (bareback). He was amused but stood still until I could get myself upright. We rode back to the barn that way so I could saddle him up. He and I enjoyed a great many trail rides after that.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post