SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Horse Riding For The First Time: How Long?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse Riding For The First Time: How Long? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My mom has a few horses & we've gone on a few 1-1.5hr rides. I'm far from experienced (she's a barrel racer), and I had no discomfort afterward. But, that was also in my late 20s-early 30s.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15366 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The inside of my thighs were sore as hell for a couple of days.

Posts: 7544 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you enjoy it, you may find that’s just enough time.

If your prostate is an issue, don’t drink a lot beforehand.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
As long as they don't give you the stallion named "Widowmaker," you'll be fine.

Actually, there is some truth here.

I'm by By no means an expert rider, but have ridden horses for the last 50 years. I'm maybe intermediate at best. Been on perhaps 25 different horses. Most riding time was on my Uncle's horse, and he was a gentle giant, and the perfect horse for a child (me).

But borrowed / rented horses can be quite different from a horse that you "know".

For example, in Colorado I was on a rented horse and the horse got spooked by very nearby thunder and galloped back to the stable. I did all I could to control the animal, but it was obvious the horse was spooked, and really didn't care about my opinion on the matter. An inexperienced rider would not have fared well in this case. Probably would have fallen off. Me, as in intermediate rider very much had my hands full.

Advice: Be sure the stable workers understand that you are a newbie and hopefully they can assign a horse which is a better with newbies. It really does make a difference.

Stirrups and adjustment has been discussed. Only your toes go in the stirrups and wear the right footwear. Something that gives proper support. You will use muscles that you didn't know you had, and they will be sore the next day, even after 2 hours.

Of course, all of this depends on the ride. If it's just a trail with a guide in front, those usually aren't much of a challenge and you never exceed walking speed. The nose of your horse will just follow the butt of the horse in front of it.

Oh, not to burst anyone's bubble, but honestly, for a newbie, if you are going to exceed walking speed, a helmet is a better bet than a cowboy hat.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10932 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
When I was younger my parents had some horsey friends so I got to ride some. As a youngun I never really had a problem but...

Be careful if you have a bad back, some speeds/gaits may cause you problems according to my parents. Leave the back pockets empty. As someone else mentioned if you're a new rider your inner thighs are likely to get tired/sore.

Horses have distinct personalites and moods, and are also sensitive to your mood. Be calm and everyone will be happier - the only time I ever had a problem riding was when I got a little full of myself, went out on a ride with a horse I was warned "was a little cranky today", sure I can handle it. The horse was difficult, made me nervous, made the horse worse and we both had a miserable day.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
…And boots are preferred.
I'll definitely be wearing boots, but...

quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
Slight thread drift - I learned, from a Longmire novel I think, why cowboy boots have smooth soles. That's because if you fall off the horse, the treads won't catch up in the stirrup and you won't be dragged.
Sadly, all my smooth-soled boots are roach-killers. So they're out.

quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Make damn sure your stirrups are correctly adjusted.
Noted. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Horses are amazing creatures.
I'd like you to watch this video, and rewatch it a few more times.
Yes, I know they are and, yes, I'll watch the video. I already know a tiny, tiny >< bit about horses, just from paying attention. But, before this adventure, I'd certainly like to know more. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
It’s a little more complicated than that. Are you reasonably fit or way overweight? If you’re pretty fit and your knees are good, just ask if they have a saddle that’s narrow down through the front of the saddle, much easier on the knees.
Noted. Thanks! (I'm reasonably fit and my knees are good for a 71-year-old.)

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The hat doesn’t matter. Wear it if you like.
That was meant mostly in jest Smile

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Keep your body vertical to gravity, not the ground.
I suspect I would've done that naturally. It intuitively seems the right thing to do. But thanks for the hint, nonetheless.

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
If you are given a western saddle KEEP YOUR HAND ON THE REINS IN FRONT FRONT FRONT OF THE SADDLE HORN.
NOTED!

Big Grin

Seriously: Thanks for the heads up!

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
The stable will probably require that you wear a riding helmet.
Lord, I certainly hope not Frown

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
If your prostate is an issue, don’t drink a lot beforehand.
Prostate not so much. My bladder, OTOH... I would've done that in any event, but thanks for the hint, anyway.

radioman, your comments, re: individual horses' temperments, noted. This was something of which I was aware. I presume the stable will attempt to match horse and rider--or at least horse and rider experience level.

Thanks for the comments, hints, information, and encouragement, y'all!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
Slight thread drift - I learned, from a Longmire novel I think, why cowboy boots have smooth soles. That's because if you fall off the horse, the treads won't catch up in the stirrup and you won't be dragged.
Sadly, all my smooth-soled boots are roach-killers. So they're out.

Do you mean boots with really long, pointy toes, or just cowboy boots with a pretty good heel vs. round-toed short-heeled ropers?

The higher-heeled cowboy boot is fine. Cowboy boots are riding boots. Ropers are really for when you have to jump off the horse and chase calves.

Smooth sole isn’t that important - I think it’s mostly style/tradition (no knobby rubber soles in the old West Smile ). The riding boots used in the English jumping disciplines mostly have rubber soles with a light tread unless they’re fancy traditional formal ones. In that world, when they’re especially worried about falling and getting caught in a stirrup, they do sometimes use stirrups that are open on the outside and bridge the opening with a thick rubber band that will pop off if your foot twists in the stirrup, but they aren’t all that common.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two words:
Wrangler Jeans

If you have them wear them. They are cut and sewn to prevent or minimize wear and tear to the inside of your knees.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Do you mean boots with really long, pointy toes, or just cowboy boots with a pretty good heel vs. round-toed short-heeled ropers?
Pretty pointy toes. The style is called J-toe.

The boots I would be inclined to wear are a cowboy-style boot, with a more rounded toe, probably an R-toe, with lower, roper-type heels. They have rubber, un-smooth soles.

quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
Two words:
Wrangler Jeans

If you have them wear them.
Thanks for the guidance, but all I have in the closet are Lee jeans.

Probably well-worn-in jeans are more important than going out and buying a new pair of jeans for this adventure?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

https://www.antimonkeybutt.com...tt/#application-tips

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are given a western saddle KEEP YOUR HAND ON THE REINS IN FRONT FRONT FRONT OF THE SADDLE HORN. Yes, I'm shouting. Trail horses have lots of ways to let you know who's boss. One way is to wait until you drop your rein hand low, down behind the horn. They will then drop the head like a stone and smash your fingers into the horn. They do this to tell you to leave them alone and let them do their job.

That’s a new one on me.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned multiple horse for 50 years. Your age and physical condition have some bearing on the answer. You may use some muscles in riding that are not part of your normal routine. You could be a little sore or stiff for a couple of days or you could not. Let us know how it turns out. Have fun.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
I've owned multiple horse for 50 years. Your age and physical condition have some bearing on the answer.
My physical condition is not what I'd like it to be. I haven't been back to the gym with any regularity in a good long while.

OTOH: Part of the reason for that is I've been training for a golf swing intensively for about two months, now. There was a possibility I'd be asked to participate in a couple benefit tournaments. I wanted to get my swing right and I didn't want the soreness and stiffness that comes from restarting a workout regimen from interfering with that.

On the gripping hand: The way I've been working everything from my shoulders down to my calves in developing my swing may help Smile

quote:
You may use some muscles in riding that are not part of your normal routine. You could be a little sore or stiff for a couple of days or you could not.
No doubt I will, on both counts. I rather expect it.

quote:
Let us know how it turns out. Have fun.
Will do Smile

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we're drawn to things even though we don't have much knowledge or experience with them...and, for me at least, one of these has been horses.

When I was a kid my parents taught me how to feed apples to horses, and I love doing that. As inappropriate as it is, sometimes on the way to fish a stream or go hiking, if I see a pasture w/ horses in it, I'll pull over on the side of the road and if they walk up to check me out I'll slice up my snack apple and feed them.

My buddy called me one evening, from a trip outside the state, he had expected he and his wife to be back home that evening but were delayed by weather, and asked me to drive out to their house and feed and water their pair of horses. He only lived @ 45 minutes away and I was only too glad to do it, so I broke open a bale of hay, fed them, and even though they were a bit shy of me, they also seemed to want to make friends, and after I sliced up an apple for their dessert, they were good with me.

When much younger, I dated three different girls that each had horses, but I've always regretted never having learned to ride. My first girlfriend's parents raised race horses and she rode when young, but then developed serious allergies, including to horse dander, that would trigger her frequent and serious asthma attacks, so I only got to visit with them in the pasture. Another girlfriend put me on her horse, but he quickly realized he had a rookie on his back and galloped straight towards a feed station in the pasture with a low hanging roof, and I had to quickly duck down to escape being knocked off. The last girlfriend with horses we used to visit in the corral...but we always seemed to find something else to do. Wink

I'm a cowboy at heart...or at least a wannabe one.

The wise part of me knows that, with my flaky bad back, that I have no business learning to ride a horse at my age...but, there is another part of me that wants to try it just to see if I could do it.

Nothing sadder than a 'cowboy' that can't ride a horse. Wink

ensigmatic, hope you have a great ride.

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

The video has interesting things to know, and practical things for you to be aware of during the first moments when you and the horse meet each other and as your ride progresses. Other sections are just great to know and understand in general horse nature and behavior.

Years ago I watched a documentary (PBS ?)
on the Horse Whisperer, and although I already liked horses, it gave me a whole new appreciation for them. Shortly afterwards I got into a disagreement with my Dad and brother. They thought horses were stupid animals and I argued that they were intelligent.

Thanks for posting the video link, it was informative and I learned a couple things from it.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm a cowboy at heart...or at least a wannabe one.

Nothing sadder than a 'cowboy' that can't ride a horse. Wink
Yeah, I've always been something of a "cowboy at heart," too Smile Luckily, I've no physical infirmities that should preclude me riding.

ETA: That reminds me of a funny episode in my life. Remember the "cowboy craze" back in the early-to-mid 80's, I think it was? Followed the disco craze, IIRC. All-of-a-sudden everybody and their sibling was wearing western wear. Disco bars converted to western bars nearly overnight. Made me laugh, because I'd been wearing denim, cowboy boots, and cowboy hats, and listening to country music, for years and years by then

quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
ensigmatic, hope you have a great ride.
Thanks!

Obviously, I hope I enjoy it, too, but not too much. I need another hobby like I need another hole in the head.

Funny side thought occurred to me a bit earlier today: I almost never go anywhere unarmed anymore. But, I'm thinking, anything carried at 3:30 to 4 o'clock would probably be a Bad Idea.

Shoulder rig?

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
If you are out of shape, maybe get off and walk the horse for just a bit halfway through. I went on a 20+ mile ride once in the Rockies and never got off and I could hardly move the next morning Smile

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
When much younger, I dated three different girls ...

Did you feed them apples? They like apples.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
Have had horses all my life. Showed in dressage in my teens and early 20s. Currently retraining a 3 year old OTTB (off the track Thoroughbred) as my next sport horse.

For your first go, I'd doubt they'll have you doing much that's strenuous, so two hours won't be too bad. If you're going to be sore, it'll likely be because you were tense in the saddle. Try to relax up there, sit on your seat bones (I used to tell my new students sit on their jeans pockets), and smile. Most of these trail horses know their job, so you don't have to worry so much about steering or impulsion. Squeeze with your calf to speed up, pull gently on the reins to slow down, move your hand left or right to steer. And remember the most important part - have fun!!

And yes, wear the cowboy hat.

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Funny side thought occurred to me a bit earlier today: I almost never go anywhere unarmed anymore. But, I'm thinking, anything carried at 3:30 to 4 o'clock would probably be a Bad Idea.

Shoulder rig?
I don't think that The Duke used a shoulder holster.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30717 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post