SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric people, is this a bright idea???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric people, is this a bright idea??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I want my fog lights to work independently of my headlights and not shut off when I flip on my high beams.
The Expedition I was able to reprogram the control module with my laptop. Can’t do that with the Tundra. Folks are doing this. Bad idea??

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-kfzNGUAs-A

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t see a problem, but what’s with the bent spade out of the relay? I’d go below the box, cut the ground wire, and connect to the relay there with a weather-proof butt connector. If you ever wanted to go back stock, you could simply reconnect the original ground wire.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there has to be a FORScan for Toyota.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Better check the D.O.T. regs for your state.

In Maine, you will fail a vehicle inspection if they don't shut off, as you can only have 2 sets of forward lights on at a time, and highs count as 2.

Not sure the regulations in your area, just giving a heads up.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

There is a little bit of programming that can be done but Toyota has nowhere near the number of control modules that Ford does. Fog light configuration is not programmable.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:

In Maine, you will fail a vehicle inspection if they don't shut off, as you can only have 2 sets of forward lights on at a time, and highs count as 2.

No issue here and no vehicle inspections.

————————————————

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

There is a little bit of programming that can be done but Toyota has nowhere near the number of control modules that Ford does. Fog light configuration is not programmable.

If that's the case, then only thing I'd worry about is the relay fully seating, is there any way to trim the plastic so that the relay will fully seat with the spade connector?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SO color me confused. Grab a 12v ignition switched lead, have it hit the fog light switch and have at it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
SO color me confused. Grab a 12v ignition switched lead, have it hit the fog light switch and have at it.

Then the fog lights would just be on all the time the truck is on correct?
Still want to be able to have all the lights off.

————————————————

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
When I had a Frontier, It had a mod to do the same thing.

Be careful that when you jump a circuit, that you're not pulling too much amperage on those relays, fuses, and wires. Those circuits usually power more than just the 1 set of lights and you may overload it based on the type of lights you have (HiPo, LED, incandescent) and the number of lights on that circuit.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The traditional way is a relay switched by a toggle. If the driver wants fogs, the switch is engaged. This requires separate relay, mounting of relay, etc. and not using the factory wiring. I think it would be possible to connect to the fogs with new wiring from the aftermarket relay and switch. You could leave the OEM wiring there, for the next owner.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:

No issue here and no vehicle inspections.

It's been a while since I worked in the automotive industry, and certainly things may have changed since then, so take this for what it's worth. The Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) used to require that no more than four forward-facing running lights (not marker lights, but headlights/fog lights) could be on at one time. That's why the fogs go out when the high beams go on.

That said, I'll admit I'm way curious if the rule has changed. Take the current Jeep Cherokee, for instance, with its daytime running light arrangement. (I've ranted here before about my hatred for DRLs, but that's another topic.) The DRLs run all the time, whether the headlights are on or not. On that particular vehicle, when the fogs are on, it looks like three stacked pairs of lights coming toward you, thanks to how stinking bright the DRLs are. I hate facing those (and similar) in traffic.

Anyway, if your state doesn't require vehicle inspections, it may not matter to you (despite possibly violating federal regulations). Or you may not care at all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then the fog lights would just be on all the time the truck is on correct?

Ignition switched means a lead that is not hot unless the ignition is on. There are a million of them. Wire from that lead to a relay and through the fog light switch and you are good to go. This is the simplest of circuits. 12v ignition hot lead, through switch to relay add 12v from anywhere to relay then to lights. Will be just what you want.

posted Hide Post
Do as the video shows or use a fuse tap connector.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/...8EAQYECABEgLhJ_D_BwE

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do you should make sure that anything that you add to the electrical system has extra fuses to be on the added circuit. .................As far as to the added lights over and above the factory installed what about all of the Jeeps/Trucks/etc that have the LED bar lights across the cab roof and in the front grill. It is easier for police to ignore than try and ticket everyone unless they could be proven to have contributed to accident. Just like the LOUD BOOM AUDIO it is more trouble/time consuming on a problem that can"t fixed. ........................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Whatever you do you should make sure that anything that you add to the electrical system has extra fuses to be on the added circuit. .................As far as to the added lights over and above the factory installed what about all of the Jeeps/Trucks/etc that have the LED bar lights across the cab roof and in the front grill. It is easier for police to ignore than try and ticket everyone unless they could be proven to have contributed to accident. Just like the LOUD BOOM AUDIO it is more trouble/time consuming on a problem that can"t fixed. ........................... drill sgt.

Not adding anything to the system. Fog lights are currently there and operational except headlights have to be on.
I want them to be operational when the headlights aren’t on

————————————————

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Disregard. Rethinking.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm posting again. I would not do what is in the video. But that's just me. Done well its probably perfectly OK>. Without actually trying it I don't know exactly how far that relay is out of its seating position, but its at best a 'hack'. And the rest of it is pretty much the same.
If this was my truck I would just bypass the whole Toyota mess since its in the factory switch. Install a nice switch in the cab, grab an ignition switched lead of which there are a zillion there and since we are using a relay no particular amperage, route it to a new relay tucked up front, and power the lights. Switch on, lights on if the truck is on. Switch on, truck off, lights off. No parking light interconnect etc. I've done this dozens of times to add additional lights to trucks that don't have them.