SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alcoholic Neighbor - Drunk Driver - Advice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcoholic Neighbor - Drunk Driver - Advice? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
You better pray the Police don't tell the guy's lawyer about you ratting him out or all hell will break loose.

I reported a drunk once in the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. I had the luxury of being forced to testify as to what I saw in court. Sometimes remaining as "unnamed witness" is not possible.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
You better pray the Police don't tell the guy's lawyer about you ratting him out or all hell will break loose.

I reported a drunk once in the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. I had the luxury of being forced to testify as to what I saw in court. Sometimes remaining as "unnamed witness" is not possible.

My point exactly.

If it were me, I think I'd do an anonymous tip and leave it at that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
When a cop spots him driving and pulls him over, he won't need to (or want to) mention Beancooker or anyone else to make a case.
His driving will be plenty for part one, his inebriated condition for the rest.
He's already on probation and has two priors according to Beancooker.

I feel sorry for the Yorkie.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I’m in the “call LE and let them deal with him” group.......anything short of that will not result in a positive outcome for anyone involved

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Does he agree he shouldn’t drink and drive? Or doesn’t care? If latter, call cops, anonymously on burner phone if you have to.

If former, any thoughts on voluntarily installing a breathalyzer tied to ignition? Would that work?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
f former, any thoughts on voluntarily installing a breathalyzer tied to ignition? Would that work?

^^^^^^^^^^
NO. Easily defeated by having your sober buddy blow for you. Guy needs rehab but is likely to end up in prison first.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
When a cop spots him driving and pulls him over, he won't need to (or want to) mention Beancooker or anyone else to make a case.

Your statement is not inclusive of all possibilities.

Here is what happened to me:
**saw a drunk driver, really bad driving, so I called it in. This was on Tribal Land.
**Before the cops got there, drunk got into an accident which totaled another car, but luckily only had minor injuries.
**Cop from Tribal Police took a statement from me as to what I saw of his driving, which included going over the double yellow, over the fog line, swerving, unsafe passing in a no passing zone, trailer swaying back and forth like it was not under control, etc.
**I was later contacted by the prosecutor from the Indian Reservation, who again asked me what I saw. He said he had a number of charges on the guy so he might want me to testify if it goes to court.
**I get a knock on the door from a local county deputy --- he had a subpoena in hand. I took time off work and had to drive back to the reservation on said date/time.

So the ideal situation where you call the cops and the cop shows up, sees the drunk driving and then makes an arrest without the need for witnesses is not always reality.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I’m not a professional when it comes to these matters but I try to repair the casualties after the inevitable accident occurs. I think the police should be notified immediately. Some departments and jurisdictions have an anonymous tip line. If you know enough about this person you could send an anonymous letter to his family if you know how to reach them and explain as a distant acquaintance you’re concerned for his health and well-being and the health and well-being of the surrounding population. Hopefully they would try to assist with treatment and support. Unfortunately there is no easy perfect answer.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Shocked at the meddling old maids we have here. No, I don't have a solution and the ones advanced will probably fail. Then you'll have a war zone for a neighborhood. I'd guess then you'll wish you had minded your own business. Its OK you feel good about ratting out your neighbor. But doing that has about as much chance of a good outcome as not doing it.

I'd look to myself for feeling good about ratting a neighbor out. Yeah, he needs help, but none of the suggestions seem to be about that. Only meddling. Get some railroad ties and plant them upright to protect your own stuff. Then mind your own business and avoid any contact. If he leaves his car or truck running, let it run. Laugh about it, but don't trespass, just let it run. If you must meddle, tell his GF its running and let her shut it down. Maybe call the cops for that.

Others here want to start a war with no good outcome. Don't be a meddling old maid. If you think you'll feel good about it afterwards, you have a problem.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Shocked at the meddling old maids we have here. No, I don't have a solution and the ones advanced will probably fail. Then you'll have a war zone for a neighborhood. I'd guess then you'll wish you had minded your own business. Its OK you feel good about ratting out your neighbor. But doing that has about as much chance of a good outcome as not doing it.

I'd look to myself for feeling good about ratting a neighbor out. Yeah, he needs help, but none of the suggestions seem to be about that. Only meddling. Get some railroad ties and plant them upright to protect your own stuff. Then mind your own business and avoid any contact. If he leaves his car or truck running, let it run. Laugh about it, but don't trespass, just let it run. If you must meddle, tell his GF its running and let her shut it down. Maybe call the cops for that.

Others here want to start a war with no good outcome. Don't be a meddling old maid. If you think you'll feel good about it afterwards, you have a problem.

Would it be meddling to call the cops if someone was walking through the neighborhood shooting off a gun in random directions? Because that is what this guy is doing when he gets behind the wheel when he is wasted. It's only a matter of time.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Beancooker, our state has some of the toughest DUI laws in the country. It costs a *minimum* of $8000 for a DUI and that’s if the judge LOVES him. (Unlikely with priors)
Call the cops when you see it happen. It is your only choice.
With any luck, it will hit felony territory and he can enjoy a DOC vacation.
He will kill/maim an innocent, possibly one of YOUR family or himself. I like the idea of talking to local cops or county (YCSO) and giving them a heads up…but call you must when you see it.

After visiting a guy I love like a brother in prison for 5 years for his agg assault from DUI, I really wish I had done more before he hurt someone but I didn’t. I still regret that *maybe* his victim would still have 2 legs today.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The only drunk driver I ever encountered was dead right there in his wrecked Land Rover with the bottle rammed through his mouth by the steering wheel hub.

Thankfully he was alone when he and the pavement parted company.

Nevertheless, he set a new record for me - the deadest drunk I've ever seen.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

I have to respectfully disagree. You are not going to "help" a chronic drunk unless you get him by the short hairs and force him to come to grips with his problem. You have to bring the bottom up to hit him, rather than wait for him to hit bottom. This guy seems way beyond any passive intervention. He is a threat to the community. An arrest will enter him, or re-enter him into the system. Some see the light after arrest and conviction, and every court I know of sends chronic DUI's to treatment. If that doesn't change him, well, lock his ass up where he is not a threat to others.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot abide the "snitches get stitches" attitude. Don't meddle-you want him to kill someone? You have to speak out.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish to God a concerned neighbor would have called the law before a drunken sot killed my favorite uncle.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
The thread title may be somewhat vague, but I’m not sure how to title it without making the title the post…

So my neighbor (across the street and over one house) is a pretty nice guy when he’s sober. We get a long well. He’s not my favorite person, but a fairly nice guy. He needs help with random things (not mechanically inclined) and I’m happy to help. He’s a chef at a nice restaurant and many times they over order food for a special event and I end up with some nice cuts of meat or the like.

There are times (pretty regularly) where this guy has had a few too many, and then he gets a little riled up. What I mean is he gets aggressive and wants to fight, or at least put up the tough guy front. When he acts like this, I usually find a reason to leave. When he gets this way, he’s literally falling down drunk, and I’m not going to beat his ass, even though at times I would really like to.
His girlfriend/fiancée drinks just as much. She received a rather large inheritance when her grandfather passed away, so they own the house outright. They aren’t moving, especially in this real estate market.

The whole point of this thread is that he’s always been a drunk driver. He heads to the local convenience store to re-up the booze. Now I don’t mind that the guy is a drunk. Makes no difference to me. When people drink and drive, I have an issue with that. Lately, it’s a daily affair. Regularly I see him struggle to walk to the vehicle, and off he goes.

Last night he left and made it back, but was so smashed that he left the car door open, the headlights on, and the garage door open (parked in the driveway). It was quite the monsoon last night. Over three inches of rain. So maybe a little karma happened, although it’s not enough to change his ways.

I would like to stay on good terms with my neighbors. I’m not a big fan of calling the cops. I’m also not a big fan of the fact that one of these days, he may take someone out when he’s driving drunk. Talking to him is a futile effort. I have tried.

The options I see are:

to catch him before he gets in the car and kick the shit out of him. (This is not a great option as I could end up in jail, have issues with my neighbor in the future, or maybe he gets lucky and turns the tables and I get hurt.

Call the police and let them deal with it. There is the possibility that he finds out I’m a rat, and then there are problems in the neighborhood.

Look the other way (which I’m not good at) and hop that he doesn’t kill an innocent person on his shitfaced escapade to the booze shop.

So what would you do? I’m open for advice.

Our daughter has been a cripple since she was 20 years old, due to a drunk driver. That driver was a professional "big rig" driver with 3 previous drunk driving incidents, and had never had his license suspended/revoked, was still driving those big rigs, etc when he crossed the center line and hit her head-on. He again faced no penalty other than to attend "drunk driving" school, which he did not do. And continued to drive that big rig. Daughter has had several operations over the years and suffers a lot of pain, especially when the weather is changing. Turns out that the "judge" that handled the case was also a drunk, the police knew it. The judge caused an accident on his way to his court one morning. parked his car on the sidewalk, went inside and when the police got there, he had an open bottle of booze on his desk, and had just taken a shot to calm his nerves. Knowing that he had covered the fact that he was drunk. And got away with it, AGAIN.

My view of drunk driving incidents is pretty simple. Get drunk and drive, cause an accident with death involved and get prosecuted of vehicular manslaughter. With mandatory maximum sentences, none of that crap of judge discretion. Get drunk and drive, cause an accident without death, then attempted murder charges.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Maybe a DUI will wake him up, maybe not

Call the police when you see him leave drunk, I think you are obligated

And what will calling the police accomplish? By the time they get there, if they do, he will be long gone. Not to mention how would you know he was drunk when he left? Or is he always drunk when he drives off?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
He heads to the local convenience store to re-up the booze. Now I don’t mind that the guy is a drunk. Makes no difference to me. When people drink and drive, I have an issue with that. Lately, it’s a daily affair. Regularly I see him struggle to walk to the vehicle, and off he goes.

Elk, this here. He sees him stagger to his car to get more booze, he knows where he is going. Call the police

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
The next time you see him get in his car and you know he is drunk, get in your car and follow him. Look for the things a cop would look for to determine if a driver is intoxicated. Things like continually crossing the center line, weaving in driving lanes, stopping to early or too late at stop signs, anything that would give the officer probable cause to stop him. Then get on your phone and call 911 and tell them you may have an intoxicated driver and describe some of the indicators you observed. If they have an officer available, they will have him check it out.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Maybe a DUI will wake him up, maybe not

Call the police when you see him leave drunk, I think you are obligated

And what will calling the police accomplish? By the time they get there, if they do, he will be long gone. Not to mention how would you know he was drunk when he left? Or is he always drunk when he drives off?

In my day, we'd wait up the road for him to come home - if we had enough indicators he was impaired - one is sufficient if a credible call has been received, he would be stopped and the contact would proceed from there. Bloodshot eyes, smell of booze, slurred speech etc.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post