SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alcoholic Neighbor - Drunk Driver - Advice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcoholic Neighbor - Drunk Driver - Advice? Login/Join 
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
You can lead a horticulture....
but you cant make them think.

He aint gonna stop 'til hes forced to (by incarceration, or something shaking his very being) and his girlfriend is enabling him big time.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Jesse,

Telling a drunk (warning them) of your intention is going to be taken as a threat.

And when an aggressive asshole drunk feels threatened and is on a drunk, with no ability to reason rationally, it is going to end in a shit show, and you will be on center stage.

My mother, (her name is for a blessing, and she did the best she could in the era she dealt with) was married 5 times, and other than my father, who was killed a few months before I was born, all were raging alcoholics.

I know drunks. I know them as I learned to survive them.
When I say I nearly was killed on more than a few occasions, it is not BS drama, it is the hard truth.

No doubt, most of us could hold our own, or prevail over most drunks, but guys get paid money and have greater resources to deal with them, and often with, enduring consequences to the drunk, not themselves.

That is why that is the smart answer.

Hope the (squirrelly)"system", finds an acorn, this time.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I really hate nice people that drink and turn into aggressive assholes. My good HS friend has a brother like that, a Jekyll & Hyde when it comes to alcohol. Sober he’s great but get a few drinks into him and he’s looking to fight someone, every time. He got drunk and punched a guy at a Philadelphia Phillies game back in June and spent the night in jail for assault, completely ruined an otherwise nice day out.

To the OP, I’d anonymously report the guy before he kills someone.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Still worth it to make an attempt. Worse case he throws a fit and nothing changes. Best case he adjusts his behaviors. Best, best case he stops drinking (again super small percentage).

I dunno. I think the risk of serious retaliation is greater than you’re allowing for. At this stage of the game, a neighbor saying something is beyond unlikely to have an impact. Guys like this need to hit bottom, and of all the ugly bottoms I’ve heard of, “my neighbor told me he was going to report me for DUI” doesn’t even rank.

I’m wrong plenty, but I really don’t think this is the way. Trust the Monkey and I, we’ve survived drunks. I’ve got stories I don’t want to post here, and they probably pale in comparison to his, and this isn’t a measuring contest, either.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:... and this isn’t a measuring contest, either.

Absolutely not.

It's a contest with no winners. Only survivors.

And if one was in it, it was worse for them, than anyone else's.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Call the police.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Okay, first, there is no way I’m going to “warn him” that I’m contacting LEO. He is already aggressive when he drinks. This will create a shitshow, and I don’t plan on being part of that, let alone orchestrating it. My bad idea of just beating the shit out of him is a better idea than this, with probably a better end result. Neither of those options will happen.

Rock bottom, I think it has happened and didn’t make a difference. It would have been bottom for me, but who knows, maybe his well is a lot deeper.

To give you an idea of exactly what I’m dealing with, Smudge and Monkey can probably guess…
They go out off roading one day. Plastered when they leave the house. They head up Mingus Mountain and drive off the road. He stops and the truck is good and stuck. Ford F-250 with a diesel, long bed, four door. It’s a big truck. Each time I try to get up the mountain to recover the truck, he wants to get plowed first. Each time, I rescind my offer as he’s way to drunk to try a vehicle recover with. The truck is stuck at a 45° angle or better, with a good chance of roll over if not pulled off the mountain correctly.
Six weeks later, him and a couple guys from work go recover the truck. All partying and having a great time, none in the condition to recover the truck. This is a pretty new truck and it’s pretty nice. What they brought down the mountain was pretty destroyed. They didn’t roll it, but it came down with no less than $20k in body damage.
He borrowed recovery gear from some of us neighbors and left some of the chains on the mountain.

A week later, he heads up the mountain on a quad (to find the chains), with the GF’s dog, a little Yorkie. Shows up to my house late, probably around 8 pm, bloody and crying, super drunk. I ask what happened and he said that he went up and found the chains. Stopped on the way back to have a drink and a piss on the side of the dirt road. Coyotes snatched the Yorkie and tore her to pieces right in front of him. He went after the Coyotes to get the Yorkie back and struck his arm into the den. He was bitten, a few times. These were legit bites from a decent sized dog, probably a Coyote. The Yorkie is gone, he’s sure the GF will kill him and asks me to take their guns. Next he asks me to tell the GF about her dog as he can’t. He was too drunk and nonsensical and drank more when he got home. So I wait and tell the GF, who is upset, but just happy that he is alive.
The next day these two go up the mountain again to lay the dogs collar out and wish the dog farewell. As they are having their little ceremony, the Yorkie walks up to them. The dog is alive (by no less than a miracle), and they bring her home.
I told him that you saw the dog get ripped to bits, and you have Coyote bite marks on your arm. This my friend, is God reaching out to you. Completely oblivious to the fact that what he witnessed (or thought he witnessed) came undone, the Yorkie lasted all night on a pretty wild mountain avoiding predators, survived the freezing temps, and managed to be reunited with these two… what was his reaction? Pour a glass of Vodka in celebration.

Now maybe everyone will understand why I won’t go “warn him”. It wouldn’t be listened to, or respected. It would just add fuel to the fire.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he’s a pro. Every occasion calls for a drink. Everyone’s “bottom” looks different, and where you or I would stop, some people just plow right through. You don’t “warn” these people, you give them a wide berth and make sure the system knows what they’re doing.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Holy crap Eek

You may not need to worry about that guy for long. He’s going to get himself killed eventually and hopefully doesn’t take any innocent bystanders along the way.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Can't you just call the police and not provide your information and just say you are a concerned citizen? If you are worried about the phone number being traced back to you can't you also buy a pay by the minute phone? Could also follow him one day after he leaves and report him while he is on the road.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are getting some bad advice. Call the police, let them handle it. Confronting this guy can turn horribly awry and put you and yours in his drunken cross hairs. There is no truth to “the worst that can happen”. The truth is the worst that can happen is way worse than you can imagine.

People tend to coddle addicts and it never works. Stay clear of this guy period. Having people like this in your life even tangentially will event and probably sooner rather than later cause you issues. You need to completely cut him out of your life. He’s not your problem to solve but if you keep helping him out he might end up being your problem. This is the don’t answer your door, block his number, avoid him at all costs neighbor.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
You better pray the Police don't tell the guy's lawyer about you ratting him out or all hell will break loose.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Okay, first, there is no way I’m going to “warn him” that I’m contacting LEO. He is already aggressive when he drinks. This will create a shitshow, and I don’t plan on being part of that, let alone orchestrating it. My bad idea of just beating the shit out of him is a better idea than this, with probably a better end result. Neither of those options will happen.

Rock bottom, I think it has happened and didn’t make a difference. It would have been bottom for me, but who knows, maybe his well is a lot deeper.

To give you an idea of exactly what I’m dealing with, Smudge and Monkey can probably guess…
They go out off roading one day. Plastered when they leave the house. They head up Mingus Mountain and drive off the road. He stops and the truck is good and stuck. Ford F-250 with a diesel, long bed, four door. It’s a big truck. Each time I try to get up the mountain to recover the truck, he wants to get plowed first. Each time, I rescind my offer as he’s way to drunk to try a vehicle recover with. The truck is stuck at a 45° angle or better, with a good chance of roll over if not pulled off the mountain correctly.
Six weeks later, him and a couple guys from work go recover the truck. All partying and having a great time, none in the condition to recover the truck. This is a pretty new truck and it’s pretty nice. What they brought down the mountain was pretty destroyed. They didn’t roll it, but it came down with no less than $20k in body damage.
He borrowed recovery gear from some of us neighbors and left some of the chains on the mountain.

A week later, he heads up the mountain on a quad (to find the chains), with the GF’s dog, a little Yorkie. Shows up to my house late, probably around 8 pm, bloody and crying, super drunk. I ask what happened and he said that he went up and found the chains. Stopped on the way back to have a drink and a piss on the side of the dirt road. Coyotes snatched the Yorkie and tore her to pieces right in front of him. He went after the Coyotes to get the Yorkie back and struck his arm into the den. He was bitten, a few times. These were legit bites from a decent sized dog, probably a Coyote. The Yorkie is gone, he’s sure the GF will kill him and asks me to take their guns. Next he asks me to tell the GF about her dog as he can’t. He was too drunk and nonsensical and drank more when he got home. So I wait and tell the GF, who is upset, but just happy that he is alive.
The next day these two go up the mountain again to lay the dogs collar out and wish the dog farewell. As they are having their little ceremony, the Yorkie walks up to them. The dog is alive (by no less than a miracle), and they bring her home.
I told him that you saw the dog get ripped to bits, and you have Coyote bite marks on your arm. This my friend, is God reaching out to you. Completely oblivious to the fact that what he witnessed (or thought he witnessed) came undone, the Yorkie lasted all night on a pretty wild mountain avoiding predators, survived the freezing temps, and managed to be reunited with these two… what was his reaction? Pour a glass of Vodka in celebration.

Now maybe everyone will understand why I won’t go “warn him”. It wouldn’t be listened to, or respected. It would just add fuel to the fire.

After reading this, it's not going to matter if you call law enforcement on him or not. I'm going to say that the only thing that is going to stop him is his death or someone else's. It's shitty to say that and everyone has the right to live but I'm afraid it's not going to stop.
I hit my rock bottom a while ago and it was scary but I didn't kill anyone. This man will.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
A private conversation with one or more of the uniformed cops working in your neighborhood. A good cop can make the right things happen without mentioning that a complaint had been made, and no official record needs to exist. Just "Well, I was conducting routine patrol when I observed a vehicle being operated in an erratic manner, so I stopped the vehicle and LO AND BEHOLD, THE DRIVER WAS OBVIOUSLY INTOXICATED".

The officer's probable cause affidavit doesn't necessarily have to mention a neighbor's report or identify the source.

Just a friendly little conversation like "Officer, if you happen to see a dark blue ABC Model 123 with license number DEF-456, driven by a tall-short-fat-thin-guy-with-a-long-complexion, in the vicinity of the X-hundred block of Anystreet heading toward the little Stop-N-Rob store for liquor, usually between 5PM and 9PM, you might want to pay close attention, just for the safety of other people in the area, you know?"

A good cop will understand what needs to be done.

I agree 100%

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Holy shit, how is the guy still alive? Yeah forget my suggestion. Call the police every single day without warning until he's in prison.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

After reading this, it's not going to matter if you call law enforcement on him or not. I'm going to say that the only thing that is going to stop him is his death or someone else's. It's shitty to say that and everyone has the right to live but I'm afraid it's not going to stop.
I hit my rock bottom a while ago and it was scary but I didn't kill anyone. This man will.

Agreed. This guy is completely lost. The only thing that will stop him is jail followed by rehab, or death. And maybe more than one death. Inform the police. It's all you can do. He is completely off the deep end.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Best idea, JMO is to contact the DUI group or local LEO office and let them know vehicles, plate number(s) typical times, so they can get his pattern into their rotation.

He doesn't care about himself enough to make a change, someone else shouldn't lose a family member because of his selfishness.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I would see if I could figure out a way to do it anonomously. If not, then I'd still take the heat and tell them he regularly does this...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Do not give it a second thought about reporting this jackwad to the proper authorities ASAP and keep reporting them until they are taken off the road. How are you going to feel when he seriously injures or kills someone ??? Especially if it comes out that you could have said something and the family of said victim/s come to you for answers as to why you kept quiet. Legally I do not think that you are required to say anything but what about the moral side. This jackwad only thinks about himself and what he wants and could care less about anyone else. ................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beancooker. Why interact at all with this drunk asshole? You pack your own lunch sometimes and therefore you get to eat a shit sandwich. Yeah I would get law enforcement involved but I would not entertain an habitual drunk showing up at my front door wanting help to retrieve his vehicle, or save his vehicle by turning it off when he is too drunk to realize it is running when he gets home.

Why enable him at all?

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post