SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the dumbest thing you've ever been pulled over for?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the dumbest thing you've ever been pulled over for? Login/Join 
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
My tire "touched the fog line" when I pulled out of my driveway.

Care to cite the state and statute that makes "touching" the fog line illegal?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
Made the mistake of passing in the left lane on I-75 in Arlington Heights OH. Major speed trap back in the day on top of slow-Hio not allowing any lane to be moving faster than 55 MPH....

A few years ago I was going north, left lane on Interstate 5, CA's Central Valley. All the big trucks were in the right lane, were traveling about 75-80 mph, I was going about 5 mph faster to pass them. There was a siren, flashing lights in the rear view mirrors, I sped up a bit to get in front of the trucks so as to pull over to the right, anticipating a speeding ticket. When I got in front of the trucks the cop car zipped by, lights and siren still going. I guess the officer had a pressing call.

(My experience on Interstate 5 is that if you are doing 70 mph you are jamming up traffic).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Georgetown, Idaho.

Notorious speed trap on the westbound lane of Highway 30. They drop the speed limit there from 65 mph to 45 mph, then to 35 mph.

They nailed me for speeding through there in August 2005. I was speeding -- going 65 in a 45 zone. But only because they positioned the sign declaring the speed limit change just over the crest of a hill where approaching traffic cannot see it 'till you're right on it, and the cops sit right there, where you don't see them, either, until the same time that you see the speed limit sign. As he wrote the ticket, the friendly cop informed me that the speed limit on the east side of the sign is 65, and the speed limit on the west side of the sign is 45 mph, and it's not his problem if I could not decelerate 20 mph in the 1/2" thickness of the sign.

The place became famous for extorting speeding fines -- so much so that a couple years ago the county was forced to place signs a few hundred yards in front of the speed limit sign advising approaching drivers to slow down because there's a speed limit change ahead. They still issue a lot of speeding tickets there, but not so many as before.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I had a guy come into my PD here in Utah with a fix it ticket from California. They wrote him the fix it for not having a front plate. The violator was dismayed since Utah does not require a front plate and he would have to drill holes in his plastic bumper.

He asked what he should do? I suggested that was some petty shit and if the violation was for not having a front plate I could only sign it off if he attached the front plate. He still looked confused. I went back in the office and returned with scotch tape. He smiled and applied the tape in what had to be the worst tape job I have ever seen. The plate was crooked but it was attached.

I signed the cite off appeasing the Cali courts. I told him to take his front plate off and advised him to stay the hell out of California.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Maryland State Trooper that's behind me all of 5 seconds, pulls me over on I695 at 1AM and tells me I'm swerving back and forth in my lane. I politely tell him no I wasn't. He proceeds to chew me out and tell me I was and wanted to know if I've been drinking or if I'm tired.

I proceed to tell him, no, I just woke up from 8 hours sleep, took a shower, stopped to fuel up and got a coke to drink. He says something like "well I'm not sure why you are swerving around so much then". I then drop the bomb "Listen, I don't know what games you are playing but I don't appreciate it. Oh and Trooper, I have a dash cam so go ahead and try to pull your BS on me". He quickly changes his tune and says I'm letting you go with a warning but just need to run check my Drivers License. He takes my DL and comes back 2 minutes later and sends me on my way.

Looking back I have a strange feeling that he saw my Pittsburgh Penguins emblem on the rear of my van and he's probably a Caps fan.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is a "fog line"?? Confused

My incident was "aggressive diving" as I pulled off the acceleration ramp onto the highway, a semi was going about 15 mph so I signaled, looked and passed in the passing lane. Apparently, according to the trooper, I passed too quickly after entering the highway. :shrug: How do you even gauge that?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
LEO,s have forgotten or do not care that the people that they pull over and display an attitude will at sometime become jurors and will be expected to believe the veracity of officers.

Posts: 630 | Location:  | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was driving home from a bike race on mostly county roads, about 20 miles from my house and I see lights behind me. Pull over and the cop comes up and says "We got a report from another driver that was scared that you were following her." Uh, I was just driving home. Cop says, I followed you for a while and you weren't doing anything wrong, but she had a kid in the car and called, so we had to respond. Sorry for the trouble.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I've been pulled over by Texas DPS three times for stupid reasons. One time for 1 mph over the speed limit (yes, only 1 mph over the limit. My wife thought I was going faster and didn't believe me so she asked him). Another time at night I had one light out that illuminates the license plate. Another time it was for following too close. I always watch my mirrors when driving so I saw the Trooper approaching rapidly. I was in the right lane with one car a few car lengths in front of me and the Trooper was coming up on our left. The Trooper passed me and when he got even with the car in front of me that idiot slammed on the brakes quickly closing the gap between us. The Trooper slowed down, pulled in behind me and pulled me over for following too closely.
It's annoying since I got warning all three times and they just found probable cause to pull me over. FYI I've only had one ticket in my life when I was 18 and I have a Texas LTC ( carry license) so my record is squeaky clean.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Failure to make complete stop in a military base.

I did. In my defense, a paratrooper would have been able to exit the vehicle with the one-second full stop I did.

Should've been a two-second full stop. But I was in a hurry.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't have read this. I'm leaving on a road trip tomorrow, Maine to Michigan and return. I get to drive through some of the worst states in the country for anal traffic enforcement.

Now I'll be twitchy for the whole trip...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been pulled over legitimately several times involving excessive speed, mostly resulting in being let go with a verbal warning or at least a reasonably reduced speed.

Years ago, I was pulled over for allegedly not wearing a seat belt. It was horribly obvious I had a seat belt on the entire time, and was wearing a light colored shirt with a burgundy seat belt. I feel I was lucky to have a witness in the vehicle, or I'd have probably received a BS ticket for not wearing a seat belt, given how persistent the idiot was about it.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:

Care to cite the state and statute that makes "touching" the fog line illegal?

It's what he said.

He asked me to roll down all my windows so he could have a look inside and asked if I had been drinking. Then asked me where I lived. I told him in the same yard he slid though and spit gravel as he tore up my driveway.

I guess the "fog line" is the white stripe on the side of the road.

Of course I pulled out of my driveway hugging the line side. I ain't going to swing out into the middle of the street.

My dash video has me nowhere near the line and there was no squad video, but the judge wouldn't have it. Took his word over my evidence.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Apparently, someone in a vehicle that looked like mine pulled a handgun on another driver and that driver called the cops.

After a felony stop with four weapons pointed at me, being cuffed and stuffed, sitting in a holding cell for an hour or two, and a thorough search of my vehicle, they figured out what I had told them initially: It wasn't me and I didn't even have a handgun with me OR in my vehicle. Mad

Funny part of the story though is that while in the holding cell, I tried to call my buddy who, at the time, was the Undersheriff in the next county up (this was 25 years ago and he's now the Sheriff), hoping he could help me get this straightened out and get released. I tried him three times and he wouldn't accept the collect call charges. I was thinking "WTF...I thought we were friends!". He explained to me later, "Do you have any idea how many calls I get from the jail? I didn't know it was you as the phone just asks "Will you accept the charges from the Lake County Jail"".

Not a fun afternoon, and considering it was late afternoon on a Friday, I was just a tad concerned about having to spend the weekend in the jail for having done...well...nothing.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Driving down to mom's place late at night after work to do some electrical repairs on her 100 year old place in Hampton VA. 95 is stand still, so I take a bunch of back roads. On a 55 mph road with one lane each direction and double yellow lines.

The idiot in front of me passes his turn or dropped something while driving goes from 50 to zero as fast as possible with out locking up breaks. I'm driving a white work van heavily loaded with tools and materials.

I apply breaks but it's evident that I'm not going to stop or if I do I will spend 5 hours rearranging work van. I get down to about 25 and go around him. Immediately I see blue lights.

He asks me why I think he pulled me over, I say no clue, why? Doesn't respond. Comes back with license and registration, explains I passed illegally. I explained I didn't think I could safely stop in time as the sedan in front of me had a shorter breaking distance and stopped in the middle of the road when I was only 4-5 car lengths behind him. He said I had to wait until a passing zone. I reminded him the vehicle stopped for no reason in the highway and said that would be impossible to do. I asked him why the other driver isn't being ticketed for stopping in the middle of the road and for not putting on his emergency blinkers. No answer. Says he has to write me a ticket. I tell him you just ran my license, you see I have a near perfect record, right? He said if he never gave people with good driving records tickets then he'd never write any tickets. I just said whatever man get on with it so I can go on my way.

I thought about fighting it, because it was bullshit, but in the end just paid the ticket for improper lane change.

Thanks asshole who stopped in the road for no reason, you cost me $200.00 for your idiotic driving.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulled over one night:
Officer says "your eyes are red, you been drinking?"

I reply "your eyes are glazed, you been eating donuts?"

We laughed and laughed,

I need bail money

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I was pulled over a few yrs back in Montgomery County MD for having expired inspection stickers by 1 day (it was the first of the month). I had just returned to the States from a 2-week stint in Germany and had my bags in the rear seat, plus homeward bound ticket which I showed to the officer that morning. In addition, I pulled up the reservation on my iPhone showing I was headed to get my car inspected after returning home, in less than 2 hours on my calendar. Of course being I was in a police state, the ticket was mandatory. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a long time Policeman, I apologize on behalf of all those Nazi traffic revenue agents masquerading as Police Officers who apparently do not have an ounce of common sense and think that traffic enforcement is the end all. While some of the stops I read about here were legit, writing a ticket for 56 in a 55 or momentarily touching the fog line is beyond the pale. And as someone said here, these idiots (and I have zero problem calling them idiots) do not seem to realize or are too stupid to realize is that the same people that they abuse all in the name of generating revenue for the State, are the same people that are going to sit in a jury as a juror on one of their cases and do in fact use their life experience to determine guilt or innocence. And that case could just as easily be a case in which THEY ( the revenue agent posing as a Police Officer) are the defendant as any other case. Traffic enforcement is a necessary component of law enforcement. I get that. But it should be fair, just and serve the public good. It should be done ONLY with the intent to protect the general public. Nothing else. It should NOT be done to increase the States revenue, to bolster an Officers numbers or to make the boss happy. Writing a guy for 56 in a 55 is not fair or just. I've always said that the way an Officer treats a citizen on a traffic stop can go a long way to help bolster the image of that PD and it's Officers. The same thing applies to traffic enforcement. Don't write a working stiff on his way home after a long,hard day at work a ticket just because you can.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
not pulled over, but I wasn't too happy to have been detained longer than I should have at the Border Patrol checkpoint which was like 50 miles north of the freaking boarder.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've been pulled over exactly 3 times. The first time was about 3 years out of high school and it turned out to be a guy I went to high school with. Him: "Happy to see you, man!" Me: "Wish I could say the same!" We both laughed.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post