SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MotoGP enthusiasts - Great video explaining the R1 crank configuration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP enthusiasts - Great video explaining the R1 crank configuration Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
I do not follow too heavily the sport bike scene, but I do find the engineering behind engine design to be highly interesting. This guy has produced some great videos about crank design. Here is one about the Yamaha cross-plane I4 used in the R1. Perhaps the only cross-plane four cylinder. If you are not into sport bike racing, you may still find his engine videos informational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM-ycHS9uvw

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8197 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Very cool video, and a good explanation of cross plane design.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow that was a good video. He touched on pretty much everything in incredible detail! I like that he brought up the sound difference and explained that too. I learned quite a lot today.

Given the benefits of the cross plane and how they are not really going to be seen on the street for the vast majority of riders out there it makes sense that other manufacturers like BMW, Kawasaki & Suzuki have kept their howling flat plane crank engines. I’d always kind of wondered why other manufacturers didn’t follow Yamaha. Given the advantages and disadvantages both engines have it makes sense.

Personally I prefer the screaming sound of a flat plane crank over the cross plane but this is totally subjective. I’m not going into turns hot enough that I need to worry about the pulses of the engine on the tire at the absolute limits of grip. Track day junkies however do care a lot more about such things. That is a superb video. It really covers everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21056 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

Thanks for posting!

Posts: 3463 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Good video thanks for posting

quote:
Perhaps the only cross-plane four cylinder

Actually you can also get the cross plane four cylinder in the naked Yamaha MT-10 also. The MT 10 does not have the raw power of the R1. But my 2018 MT 10 is a much more comfortable street bike with stronger midrange than my 2016 R1 I sold when I got the MT-10. When you ride Yamaha cross plane four cylinders they have a very intoxicating sound to them.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Masao Furusawa invented it for Yamaha in 2004 for Valentino Rossi and their M1.

It made production first in the R1 in 2009. I bought it the first year because the crossplane inline 4 in my R1 has the same firing order as a 90 degree V4. Honda’s unwillingness to make a 1000cc V4 sportbike for almost a decade when the customers demanded it….had me jumping at the chance.

The crossplane, like the 90 degree V4 it mimics, puts a constant pulse on the rear tire. Gives you better grip out of the corner, better feel, and better sound. And it doesn’t suffer from intertia torque at high RPM.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12566 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
In the intro they asked why for the R1 and not the R6? I answered to myself, for the tire pulses and the R6 isn't powerful enough to need it. This was why Harleys dominated flat track for decades.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WERA49
posted Hide Post
Sigcrazy7, thank you for posting this video.

You're right that Yamaha chose this for Valentino Rossi to give him better traction. The real reason they chose this crank is because it was cheaper to swap cranks than to design a V4, and redesign the chassis.

Before the M1, the 500cc two stroke GP bikes used "Big Bang" cranks. They are essentially the same concept and would fire all four cylinders in a short interval. Uneven firing orders help the rear tire achieve better traction.

An inline 4 on a dirt track would suffer from traction. A V4, or even better a V2, would have more traction on dirt than a traditional inline four cylinder engine.

Rob
NRA Life Member

Posts: 545 | Location: OH | Registered: March 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They also came to understand or probably already knew that an in-line four is much more agile and can carry more corner speed than a V4. If an inline 4 can get out front it stands a great chance of running away. A V4 on the other hand is a better engine to fight with a pack of riders because of its power advantage.

Mat Oxley wrote up a fantastic article on the benefits of a V4 and the benefits of an inline four in MotoGP. Why V4 MotoGP bikes are better in battles

Just like Sigcrazy7’s video Mat’s article does a good job explaining the pros and cons of each design. Mat is an Isle of Man TT winner and one of my favorite moto journalists and authors. I cannot believe his book Stealing Speed has not been made into a screen play yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21056 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Very well done video, thank you for sharing it. I teach Engineering Mechanics, and many of the concepts in the video are covered in my class. In fact, we're talking about force couple moments (what he calls a "rocking couple") tomorrow. I may show part of this video to help illustrate the point.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post