SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Darn possums .. How to get rid of them?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darn possums .. How to get rid of them? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Despicable creatures, prehistoric genetics, serve no useful purpose than serving as targets for drunk drivers and ineffective carrion scroungers. Plus they raped my bird feeders, along with the trash pandas.

Only possible positive is that they rarely if ever get rabies.

I asked my local game protector for the best solution. He said to kill them on sight, and keep killing as long as necessary.

I can't imagine being so hungry that I would stoop to eating one of the scrofulous vermin - is it a nail to board, roast, then eat board kind of thing?

Any animal with a naked tail is an abomination.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:

I've seen a few in the middle of some magazines that I wouldn't rate abominable.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
They are not very smart and easy to trap. Check with your local animal control and they may even furnish you a hav-a-hart trap to use. They may even remove the pests for you after you trap them. The traps are easy to find on places like Craigslist. Just trap and relocate FAR away.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't imagine being so hungry that I would stoop to eating one of the scrofulous vermin - is it a nail to board, roast, then eat board kind of thing?

I do remember my great-grandfather talking about the previous generations penning captured opossums up and feeding them corn and other edibles to clean up the meat taste.

(I don't know whether it worked or not, but they used the same philosophy on hogs that fed on acorns to get better-tasting pork.)

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Folks have been eating possums since there have been folks and possums.

Posts: 654 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I have at least one that visits my gas grill at times at night and cleans out the grease trap for me. but now I see a racoon on occasion also.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
Despicable creatures, prehistoric genetics, serve no useful purpose than serving as targets for drunk drivers and ineffective carrion scroungers. Plus they raped my bird feeders, along with the trash pandas.

Only possible positive is that they rarely if ever get rabies.

I asked my local game protector for the best solution. He said to kill them on sight, and keep killing as long as necessary.

Damn yours are way worse than ours here they just waddle around and act goofy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20840 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Darn possums .. How to get rid of them?

Not sure how. This is a gun forum. You might want to check a cooking forum.
Just make sure, if you're going to "cook" them, you cook them in the head. I tried to "cook" one that was after our chickens when I was a youngster and w/o the headcook, it wasn't pretty.

Beware the momma possums w/ the little ones hanging on to her coat. It's the only thing adorable about the possums. Those mommas should get a free pass.

Posts: 7374 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Employ the 3 S’s
Sh**t, shovel, shut up

Posts: 971 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Never really heard of possums becoming a nuisance. That’s more of a coon thing. But at least no one has suggested drowning them in barrels, yet, so that’s an improvement.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They aren't really that hard to trap . I used to trap cats and would occasionally catch a Possum .

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At my former residence, Mom Possum used to stroll by carrying her kids on her back. She looked exhausted!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Top speed of a possum is like 4mph. Are you sure the dog was chasing a possum?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dIVzqS0ZE04

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

Just "dot" them.

Posts: 4040 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post