SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Darn possums .. How to get rid of them?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darn possums .. How to get rid of them? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
They keep coming in my back yard fenced in area. Several have already been dispatched by my hounds. But one blew out a knee chasing one and that cost me $5k to fix, and my other dog is getting very old and doesn't need to be chasing or fighting these damn things.

Is there a good way to keep them out of the yard?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My last house used to get possums in the back yard semi-frequently, making the dogs go in a tizzy in the middle of the night. I took to dispatching them with .22 Colibri loads. (I had a safe backstop, and the neighbors were happy to oblige me since they were tired of them too.)

After 3, word must have gotten out, as they stopped coming around. Big Grin

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is attracting them?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
They must be sexually attracted to you. I just used a 12 ga and they just didn't come back for round 2.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.22 or a really good pellet gun depending on your surroundings.

Traps are supposed to work too.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do know that opossums eat ticks right?

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After several seasons of deer feasting on plants in my yard, someone told me to put a mothball or two in the flower bed. Poof. No more deer in the yard. They apparently don't like the faint odor of mothballs. One mothball lasts for months. A box of mothballs only costs a couple of dollars and lasts for years.

I've no idea if this works on possum, but it works on deer. You might try one mothball every 10 or 15 feet around your property perimeter and see what happens. Cheap experiment. Not as satisfying as blowing them away with full auto .50 BMG fire, but infinetely cheaper. Let us know what happens.

Posts: 1316 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
In Florida moth balls are illegal to place outdoors, they do seem to work on deer thou

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opossums have a peptide in their blood that makes them immune to many snake venoms and could be used for anti-venom. God Bless Smile

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5315628/

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
You do know that opossums eat ticks right?

They will also eat chickens.

I have to shoot them on sight.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34139 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trap em or shoot em. Excellent addition to roadkill stew. A little gamier than rabbit or squirrel and depart a good flavor to the pot.

Posts: 655 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Foot traps with Minnie marshmallows for bait. Dogs and cats won’t try to get the marshmallow’s out but opossums and coons will.
Mike

Posts: 385 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eagle10
posted Hide Post
You can look up a good possum stew recipe on youtube.
Wink

Posts: 112 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Personally I enjoy watching the opossums and raccoons that frequent my yard at night.

"They are harmless and generally shy and act as nature’s ‘clean-up crew’ by eating dead animals and rotting vegetation. Their diet of slugs, snails, toads and snakes can help keep gardens pest-free."

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7119 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
In Florida moth balls are illegal to place outdoors, they do seem to work on deer thou

Is there an agency that checks for moth balls in Florida?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20843 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can own a Cobra and other invasive poisonous snakes, but you can't use moth balls in Fla?

I guess there's the answer- Buy a Cobra! Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Is there an agency that checks for moth balls in Florida?

The agents carry butterfly nets and magnifying glasses.

But seriously, its not just Florida , they are regulated by EPA as a hazardous insecticide.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle10:
You can look up a good possum stew recipe on youtube.
Wink

Yeah, right, I had diarrhea for 3 days after that. Eek

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

Personally I enjoy watching the opossums and raccoons that frequent my yard at night.
My wife does, too, along with the indoor cat, who stares at them through the window.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post