SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guess who is a visiting fellow at Harvard?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guess who is a visiting fellow at Harvard? Login/Join 
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The only reason God has not rained fire and brimstone down places like Harvard is that there are still some good people around there, I'm sure.

Collateral damage

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
There is one word to describe Maning it's not him, her, she, he, or it, the word is TRAITOR.

Posts: 2777 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The only reason God has not rained fire and brimstone down places like Harvard is that there are still some good people around there, I'm sure.

Collateral damage

Maybe places like Harvard (and you could add Berkeley) are only mostly ripe in such stupidity, not yet all the way ripe. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Michael Morell gets it.

Posts: 7313 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
^^^^

Michael Morell gets it.

No. Not quite.

The first sentence of the final paragraph of his resignation letter is pure bullshit.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
^^^^

Michael Morell gets it.

No. Not quite.

The first sentence of the final paragraph of his resignation letter is pure bullshit.

My thoughts exactly. The letter was pretty good until that last paragraph.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I still care less about what he did to this country, then what he is. Many of you will argue that I have that bass ackwards, and hell, you may be right.

Chopping off the naughty bits the Lord gave you and installing a woman's No-No place is against nature, reason, and God. Hell, it's something a Nazi, Heavens Gate'er, David Koresh worshiper, or a Canadian might do, not an American.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
^^^^

Michael Morell gets it.

No. Not quite.

I do not agree with that sentence either. On balance, however, I feel that the overall tone of the letter and the reasoning used in support of his resignation is more important than that one area of disagreement. I rarely find myself in 100% agreement with anyone all the time so I am not terribly upset by that one sentence.

I think it took courage and character to take the stand he did and I applaud him for it.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I still care less about what he did to this country, then what he is.

I agree. He's more than likely got a mental disorder, gender dysphoria, and didn't choose it. I have some measure of compassion for most anyone with a mental disorder who does their best to live their life with honor, and respect for others. That doesn't apply to Manning.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering where Harvard started, (a very good divinity school) and the trend it's been on for the last 75 years, this should come as a surprise to no one.

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^

Michael Morell gets it.

Michael Morell was a political hack for Clinton and Obama. He himself is known to have leaked classified information for their political gain. During the election process he was a favored talking head on the evening news supporting Hillary. After Benghazi he coached Susan Rice in her testimony (lies) during various investigations. He was expecting a high level position in the HRC administration, and surely would have received one for his loyalty to the Democratic party. I do agree with parts of his letter, but dislike him for surrendering to partisan politics.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael Morell was a political hack for Clinton and Obama.

Which makes the stand he took all the more unexpected. While he may indeed have ulterior motives, he has clearly broken with the prevailing dogma of his party with this action which would seem to indicate that at some level, he perceives the difference between clearly traitorous acts and politics.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You truly can't make this stuff up.

Link

Chelsea Manning Named Visiting Fellow at Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics

BY: Conor Beck
September 13, 2017 12:10 pm

The John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University has named convicted felon and transgender activist Chelsea Manning as a visiting fellow at its Institute of Politics for the 2017-18 academic year.

Harvard's announcement of its incoming class of visiting fellows at the Institute of Politics celebrates Manning's inclusion as the program's "first transgender fellow."

The Kennedy School describes Manning in its press release as "a Washington, D.C. based network security expert and former U.S. Army intelligence analyst."

"She speaks on the social, technological, and economic ramifications of Artificial Intelligence through her op-ed columns for the Guardian and the New York Times," the announcement says. "As a trans woman, she advocates for queer and transgender rights as @xychelsea on Twitter."

The description also mentions Manning's imprisonment for leaking troves of classified U.S. documents, before former President Barack Obama commuted most of her 35-year sentence in January.

"Following her court martial conviction in 2013 for releasing confidential military and State Department documents, President Obama commuted her 35-year sentence, citing it as ‘disproportionate' to the penalties faced by other whistleblowers," Harvard's announcement says. "She served seven years in prison."

Manning's Twitter page, which Harvard specifically referenced, currently has her pinned tweet as a call to "abolish the presidency."

Other visiting fellows for this academic year include former White House press secretary Sean Spicer; Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign manager, Robby Mook; and Kansas City, Mo. Mayor Sylvester "Sly" James, Jr. (D.).

The Institute of Politics' acting director, Bill Delahunt, celebrated the diversity of viewpoints represented in the new class of fellows.

"Broadening the range and depth of opportunity for students to hear from and engage with experts, leaders, and policy-shapers is a cornerstone of the Institute of Politics. We welcome the breadth of thought-provoking viewpoints on race, gender, politics, and the media," Delahunt said.

Who cares? Harvard - really? Is this still considered a legit institution?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
That settles it. If the greatest university in the history of mankind says Manning's a fellow, then Manning's a fellow.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://gsas.harvard.edu/progr.../non-degree-programs

Confused You still have to have a graduate degree or "relevant professional experience", and what exactly is Manning supposed to be researching anyway?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I threw up when I read the OP's post. Treason and a sex change are now qualification for a post at one of our greatest universities? Good Lord save us all.

Posts: 430 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Looks like one of those smart people at Harvard may have gotten a clue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.c8525221d846

After backlash, Harvard rescinds Chelsea Manning’s visiting fellow invitation, calling it a ‘mistake’
By Andrew deGrandpre September 15 at 1:39 AM

Chelsea Manning will join Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government as a visiting fellow for the 2017-2018 academic year, the university announced Thursday. (Reuters)
Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government rescinded Friday a visiting fellowship offered to Chelsea Manning, the former military intelligence analyst who spent seven years in prison for leaking classified government secrets, after the school faced escalating backlash that included condemnation by the current CIA director.

“I now think that designating Chelsea Manning as a Visiting Fellow was a mistake, for which I accept responsibility,” Douglas W. Elmendorf, the school’s dean, wrote in a statement.

Manning was one of four visiting fellows announced by the institute Wednesday.

As part of the program, Manning and others would have occasionally appeared on Harvard’s campus for speaking engagements and events, interacting with undergraduate students on “topical issues of today,” the school’s initial announcement said. In Manning’s case, those discussions could focus on the social challenges associated with being transgender in the military, the statement said.

Elmendorf decided to withdraw the invitation after realizing that “many people view a Visiting Fellow title as an honorific,” though the school had not intended to “honor [Manning] in any way or to endorse any of her words or deeds.”

She is still welcome to spend a day at the Kennedy School and speak at the school’s John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum, the dean said.

“I apologize to her and to the many concerned people from whom I have heard today for not recognizing upfront the full implications of our original invitation,” Elmendorf added.

The move follows criticism from CIA Director Mike Pompeo, who withdrew Thursday from a planned appearance at the Kennedy School and chastised the institution for naming Manning a visiting fellow.

In a biting letter to organizers of the school’s forum, Pompeo, who earned a law degree from Harvard, branded Manning an “American traitor” whose actions and ethos contradict the intelligence agency’s most basic and sacred values.

“Harvard’s actions,” he added, “implicitly tell its students that you too can be a fellow at Harvard and a felon under United States law. . . . I believe it is shameful for Harvard to place its stamp of approval upon her treasonous actions.”

Pompeo’s blustery withdrawal from Thursday’s event joined a chorus of denunciation from national security experts, military veterans and others.

Earlier Thursday, in a stern letter of his own, Michael Morell, a former CIA leader who spent more than three decades at the agency, resigned from Harvard’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. He had been a fellow there since September 2013. The school’s invitation to Manning, Morell said, all but endorses her decision to break the law.

“I have an obligation to my conscience — and I believe to the country — to stand up against any efforts to justify leaks of sensitive national security information,” wrote Morell, 59, who twice served as the CIA’s acting director and retired in 2013 as the agency’s second-in-command.

Pompeo praised Morell’s decision to resign, writing in his letter that Harvard “traded a respected individual who served his country with dignity for one who served it with disgrace.”

Play Video 1:19
Ex-CIA official quits Harvard over Manning invite

A former deputy director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Michael Morell, resigned from a spot at Harvard Sept. 14 after the school offered a visiting fellowship to Chelsea Manning. (Reuters)
Manning, 29, is transgender. As an Army private first class named Bradley Manning, she was convicted of espionage and sentenced to 35 years in prison for providing thousands of classified documents to WikiLeaks, which Pompeo and Morell characterized as “an adversarial foreign intelligence service.” Supporters of the site’s founder, Julian Assange, consider him a champion for transparency whose public disclosures of sensitive information are in protest of government overreach.

President Barack Obama commuted Manning’s prison sentence before leaving office, and she was freed in May from the military’s supermax prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. Since then, Manning has been a prominent voice for LGBT rights and routinely writes about “the social, technological and economic ramifications of Artificial Intelligence,” as Harvard’s announcement noted.

Manning’s website generates an automatic response to media requests and indicates she’s not giving interviews. On Twitter, however, she posted a brief endorsement of Morell’s decision to resign.

Manning has said “a responsibility to the public” compelled her to leak government secrets. But her harshest critics describe those actions as traitorous, having put deployed U.S. troops at risk. President Trump and lawmakers from both political parties have questioned Obama’s decision to commute her prison sentence, which he called disproportionate when measured against the punishment meted out to other whistleblowers.

Like the Obama administration, Trump’s has struggled to curtail information leaks. National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster issued a memo this month to leaders throughout the federal government, imploring them to conduct an hour-long training session next week. Pompeo, in particular, has prioritized this matter, calling it a leading reason for his decision to have the agency’s Counterintelligence Mission Center report directly to him.

[At CIA, a watchful eye on Mike Pompeo, the president’s ardent ally]

At Trump’s direction, the Pentagon is studying how to implement his ban on transgender men and women in the armed forces. In their letters, Pompeo and Morell specifically sought to distance themselves from any suggestion their decisions were motivated by Manning’s choice to become a woman or publicly discuss her crimes.

Grade Point newsletter
News and issues affecting higher education.
“But it is my right,” Morell added, “indeed my duty, to argue that the School’s decision is wholly inappropriate and to protest it by resigning from the Kennedy School — in order to make the point that leaking classified information is disgraceful and damaging to our nation.”

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Elmendorf is as crimson as the Harvard banner now. Idiot.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
C'mon COMET!!!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post