SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    jobs / careers in Chemical Engineering -- what can you tell me ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jobs / careers in Chemical Engineering -- what can you tell me ?? Login/Join 
posted
relative is studying this at a major public university. doing very well up to this point -- has an internship lined up for this upcoming summer.

what kind of positions / career tracks are common for graduates with this degree?

i am not an engineer of any kind so all this is unknown to me. educate me if you can -- thanks --

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you come from a decent program and are at the top of your class opportunites are plentiful. A friend of mine's son had his pick of jobs from Dupont,BASF and the like.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
what kind of positions / career tracks are common for graduates with this degree?

Oil industry has historically been the main thing
but semiconductor and biotech companies too now.

My opinion is there will always be more jobs for good chemical engineers then there are good people to fill those jobs.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11079 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
My wife is a chemical engineer. She spent most of her career in the electric power industry, but any kind of large manufacturing operation will need ChemE's. Don't think of chemistry as much as process engineering.

It's a difficult degree, but the pay is towards the top for engineering.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5290 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
oddly enough if you have a good background in RO technologies, you can likely find a job in the beer industry, or in the hard spirits industry

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Industries: Petrochem, chemical, pharma, food & beverage, minerals processing, biochem, semiconductor, Engineering construction.
Positions: Research, process engineering, project management, production/operations

Earned my BSChE in 1984 - a career in process engineering/plant design and project management!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Copper/mineral mining

Posts: 1358 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
oddly enough if you have a good background in RO technologies, you can likely find a job in the beer industry, or in the hard spirits industry

BS Chem E followed by Masters in brewing or wine making is classic path to success…

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Daughter is a cem-e graduate ( Okla state) went to work for Honeywell straight out of college and has been with them for 20 plus years.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1942 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Health, Beauty Care, cosmetics, hygiene, are all big ones as well.
Proctor & Gamble employs loads of Chemical Engineers.
My brother has been there doing the Chemical Engineer thing for them for 20 years.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25646 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I know a chemical engineer who had a very good career in a steel mill.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39184 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Chemical plants and refineries hire oodles of them. Houston has plenty of jobs for them, it’s pretty common for them to bounce around company to company to get better pay/better positions.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
My stepdaughter has her BS in Chemical Engineering from Colorado School of Mines. She decided to get a fellowship and PhD from Wake Forest in Computational Genetics and Genomics. She is happily employed as a data scientist at a major gaming company.

The possibilities and potential are numerous and varied.

Posts: 4093 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Although I have a B. S. in Chemical Engineering, I've never worked in it. However, I can say that the education afforded in that discipline is such that it is an excellent foundation for almost any technical or scientific job. The training in stoichiometry alone is priceless.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
It's one of the most highly paid engineering disciplines right out of school. Petroleum engineering is better but I think the numbers are skewed by people who work on oil platforms which pays lots of overtime but is very demanding and unpleasant.

Anyway, I think the reason is just about every other engineering discipline does the chemistry they need to for the degree but almost no one really likes it. I can't imagine an entire degree in Chem E myself. I was done with P-Chem after my first year and only really had to do a little more (sort of) in Materials class. Degree is Mechanical Engineering.

So the lack of people who want to get the degree means low supply but demand is pretty high, therefore relative high salary.

As for the jobs, any company that does any kind of chemical processing. Pretty open in that sense.

Posts: 4908 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Health, Beauty Care, cosmetics, hygiene, are all big ones as well.
Proctor & Gamble employs loads of Chemical Engineers.
My brother has been there doing the Chemical Engineer thing for them for 20 years.

So your brother is into cosmetics ehhhh?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father was a chemical engineer, My older brother was a CE from TU and another was a PE from Texas. They all seem to have plenty of work and $$$.My youngest brother was in one of the first computer science degrees from Oklahoma state,which looks like it pays well also.

Sig 556
Sig M400
P226 Tacops
P229 Legion
P320 X compact

Posts: 467 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience these guys or gals start off in a basic intro position. The ones that want quickly rise up. Almost all supervisor/management positions are filled from the engineering pool. I’ve seen people spend their entire career as process engineers and others that have risen to very high management positions. The opportunities are there for the taking.

Posts: 581 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
As noted above, it's a field that trains you for a wide range of high paying opportunities in a bunch of industries.

Great degree to have on the resume - good grades from a good school and the sky's the limit.

If you would like a rough sense of the economics to be expected from a given degree program at a given college, you can search here: US DoE College Scorecard and here: "Is College Worth It? A Comprehensive Return on Investment Analysis"

Posts: 15137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Much like other degrees with no marketable skills, they make good baristas Big Grin

In all seriousness, lots of opportunities in oil & gas. Obviously, they're integral to Downstream portion of business at refineries and chemical plants, but less obvious that they're integral to the Upstream side of the business in gas treatment plants, liquification plants to make LNG, high pressure oil & gas separation, etc. Upstream side of the business pays better and offers more opportunity to travel. Should be lots of future opportunities with carbon sequestration, hydrogen, etc.

BTW, I'm a ME and all of the engineering disciplines poke fun at each other.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post