SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone know why barges, laden with coal, go both directions on the Ohio River?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know why barges, laden with coal, go both directions on the Ohio River? Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
Full barges, like 15 of them in a string, daily move both ways? Seems like a huge waste of money and time, not to mention pollution from the oil burning tow boats puking out black smoke. Could relate to the sulfur content. I see it all the time and it makes no sense to me. Maybe the buyers negotiating skills and they buy from those mines at each end of my state?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18391 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Unions?

Posts: 11177 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Unions?

Unfortunately, you're probably right about that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There are different types and grades of coal. I’m guessing there’s a power plant in one direction and a steel factory in the other direction.

Posts: 11048 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
There are different types and grades of coal. I’m guessing there’s a power plant in one direction and a steel factory in the other direction.

This would be logical..... WKY coal is generally higher sulfer than EKY coal...

If you just send full coal barges down river, eventually there ain't gonna be no more barges to send down river. You gotta ship them back up river so they'd be used to go down river again. and moving them empty is expensive, probably can't just put anything in them...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23630 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
A company in Texas has new technology to clean up coal burning facilities like power plants which is good since we have such a large coal reserve.

https://www.me2cenvironmental.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post