SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So how many of you say "StRUm and Ruger" when it's really "StURm and Ruger"?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So how many of you say "StRUm and Ruger" when it's really "StURm and Ruger"? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I just call them Ruger.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I have always read Sturm. I also hear a lot of Smith and Weston though. And Hammereli vice Hammerli

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1496 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Sturm Ruger? I’ve been calling it Strum Roger! I’ve been making an ass of myself!

Your CUT is on point. Big Grin

I know, right? Channeling my inner Homer Simpson Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15638 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Another extremely common one is reading and pronouncing the “Leu” of Leupold as “Leo” rather than the correct “Loo.”

I think the answer to both this and the OP's "Sturm" is a general lack of familiarity with German.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
You should put a Gisele trigger in that Ruger Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting post. I understood the OP having more to do with how the human brain interprets the written surname Sturm rather than if the company is properly referred to as Ruger, Sturm-Ruger or Sturm, Ruger & Co. Clearly, the human mind often sees what it wishes to see.

Posts: 3510 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
You should put a Gisele trigger in that Ruger Wink

Bruce

You mean a gazelle? Like the leaping animal in Africa? Wink

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5418 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:
I have always read Sturm. I also hear a lot of Smith and Weston though. And Hammereli vice Hammerli
Sometimes you see "Smith & Western". Be sure to get one with a Partridge front sight. Big Grin

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2103 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
I've always known it as Sturm. Then we have Sako which I understand is pronounced "Socko".

Oikea.

Posts: 11343 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I knew it was Sturm, but I tend say it with an umlaut ("Stürm"), which I think makes it "Storming Ruger".

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16401 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I don't ever recall anyone calling it a "Strum".

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14014 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I have Sturm ancestors dating back to the 1600's in Schifferstadt, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, and likely prior.

I also have Saur (also spelled Sauer later) ancestors dating back to early 1600's in Mainz, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.

Interesting to me, my 8th Grandfather was a Sturm who married a Sauer. They immigrated to Pennsylvania around 1730-1740, and at some point the Sturm name was changed to Storm in US.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Another extremely common one is reading and pronouncing the “Leu” of Leupold as “Leo” rather than the correct “Loo.”
Technically, since it's a German name, it probably should be "Loy", and the name as "Loypoldt".

I have always pronounced "Sturm" correctly. However, I seldom use the full company name and just refer to the guns as Rugers.

I also smile when someone calls a Porsche car a "Porch"--it's actually like the female name "Portia" (as in the old radio show "Portia Faces Life"--most of you are probably too young to have listened to it).

And of course, the football star who pronounces his last name "Favre" as "Farve". I'm guessing it's a French name and should really be pronounced "FAHVruh".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
So much Sturm und Drang over a proper name.
Oy vey.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15913 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I pronounce it with added emphasis on the “u” for dramatic effect.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Aside the Super Blackhawk I call them overweight pieces of junk.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Technically, since it's a German name, it probably should be "Loy", and the name as "Loypoldt".

How do we pronounce the German name of the capital of Bavaria—or better yet, how do we spell it?
Should Paris, Texas, be pronounced … “paris” or “pairee”? There is also a Versailles, Missouri, whose pronunciation by the locals (“ver-sails”) when I first heard it (after having spent two and a half years in France) caused me to laugh out loud.

Proper names should be pronounced as their bearers desire. Wink

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Proper names should be pronounced as their bearers desire. Wink

Yeah maybe. But there's a tiny little town southwest of Nashville called 'Sante Fe'. The locals pronounce it 'santa fee'. I just can't get on board with that

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When you say Sturm right, it sort sounds like you said Strum anyway.

My favorite was years ago, I was in a gun store with a friend, and he asked the guy behind the counter "Do you have any 12 gauge sabots?" Pronouncing it "sa-Bot".

The counter guy said, you mean "sabits".

My friend said, "no, sabots!"

"It's saBITs" says the clerk.

They go back and forth a few times, starting to sound like an Abbot and Costello routine. So I interject... "Actually, it's pronounced "sa-bo", it means "shoe".

Of course they both stop, turn and look at me like I'M the stupidest sonofabitch they'd ever met. Big Grin

Posts: 21124 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I knew it was Sturm, but I tend say it with an umlaut ("Stürm"), which I think makes it "Storming Ruger".

There's no umlaut in sturm (in either the last name or the German noun meaning "storm").

There is, however, an umlaut in stürmen, which is the German verb meaning "to storm".

Posts: 32565 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post