SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3 get prison in college basketball recruiting scandal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 get prison in college basketball recruiting scandal Login/Join 
posted
Perhaps this will get the attention of others. Here is the story:

NEW YORK — Three men received prison sentences Tuesday (March 5) in the widespread college basketball recruiting scandal that has tainted two dozen schools.

Former Adidas executive James Gatto, business manager Christian Dawkins and amateur league director Merl Code were convicted in October of conspiracy to commit wire fraud for funneling illegal payments to families of recruits to Louisville, Kansas and North Carolina State.

Gatto got nine months in prison; Dawkins and Code got six months each.

Prosecutors say coaches teamed up with Gatto and others to trade hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to influence star athletes’ choice of schools, shoe sponsors, agents and even tailors.

NCAA President Mark Emmert has said an independent enforcement body to adjudicate major infractions cases could be in place by August.

Coach offered little comment on the matter on Monday.

Judge Lewis A. Kaplan said he sympathized with the argument that the defendants were being punished when others who did similar things were not being prosecuted. Nonetheless, he said, “These defendants all knew what they were doing was wrong.”

The judge added that he wanted to send "a great big warning light to the basketball world."

"I deeply regret my actions," Gatto said in a shaky voice.

Dawkins referenced “social dysfunction” in college basketball and said his actions were “clouded” by a “system that takes advantage of kids.”

"I realize now more than ever none of this was worth it," Dawkins said.

Code said he also regretted his actions but added, “Some things really got to be changed about college basketball.”

LINK: https://www.nola.com/lsu/2019/...ruiting-scandal.html

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Can you say "tip of the iceberg?"
I mean, come on. Between you know who in college football and BB.

I have always said in the last decade or two. How do these kids pay for $10k or more worth of tattoo's?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19229 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
NCAA President Mark Emmert has said an independent enforcement body to adjudicate major infractions cases could be in place by August.

Sure....top men are on it, right Mark?

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Here's something I heard on the Steve Deace show that very few know - the NCAA mkes most of its money on March Madness. They make very little money from other college sports, including football.

So they are heavily invested in the status quo with regard to college basketball.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
As with the ongoing college admissions scandal, the fact that this was prosecutable under federal law strongly suggests that federal law is vastly to broad and overreaching. The wire and mail fraud acts need to be rewritten and significantly shrunk.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
My wife asked me the same question.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

I have always said in the last decade or two. How do these kids pay for $10k or more worth of tattoo's?

Posts: 1980 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I realize now more than ever none of this was worth it," Dawkins said.

Funny how going to prison clears the mind.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I am trying to figure out is exactly who was defrauded? And is it illegal to pay a kid to pick a particular school, or just against NCAA rules?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m pretty heavily tattooed. I’m almost 45 and have been. Working on them for more than 25 years. I still have a long ways to go, and yeah, it’s expensive for quality art.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Here's something I heard on the Steve Deace show that very few know - the NCAA mkes most of its money on March Madness. They make very little money from other college sports, including football.

So they are heavily invested in the status quo with regard to college basketball.

Some smaller universities or big ones that are marginal will get hammered while the unc, Kentucky, dukes, kansas of the basketball world will get a free pass. The ncaa will continue to protect the money makers.

The unc scandal of 20 years + of no show classes, fake grades, tutors writing papers was documented for basketball and football players. The ncaa turned their heads and did nothing!

I detest what college sports has become. Just about ready to quit watching. However the ncaa Tournament just attracts so much attention that the few like myself that go away will not be noticed by sponsors or the crooks at the ncaa,

I hold a little bit of hope that the FBI will blow up the whole crooked mess. It might as well be the mafia.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m sure this will put the brakes on the whole system, right?

This will just make all of the “recruiters” more careful. This has been going on for a long time and will continue to do so in one form or another.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15617 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post