SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wall Street Journal suggests amnesty for Trump by Biden
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wall Street Journal suggests amnesty for Trump by Biden Login/Join 
posted
That frightens me. It would almost guarantee another term for Biden.

Tell me why I am wrong…please.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Link?

President Trump doesn’t want amnesty.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I agree. It’s like when Sobel levied a ridiculous “failure to follow orders of a superior officer” charge on CPT Winters and gave him a choice of a cancelled weekend pass and restricted to barracks or trial by courts martial. Winters chose trial by courts martial to shed light on the ineptness of Sobel.

Same thing here…President Trump wants ALL of this out in the open and every light on it blaring brightly!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I don't think President Trump can refuse a Grant of Executive Clemency. It is one of the few Executive powers that is almost unlimited.

If President Biden Grants Executive Clemency to President Trump for all 87(?) individual charges, Boom! criminal case goes bye-bye. Trump can gnash his teeth, but he cannot force the New York City DA to prosecute him.

Then the talking point becomes "Evil Orangemanbad was granted Executive Clemency. See he's a felon!!! Look!!! SQUIRREL!!!!!!"

It would be an interesting strategy.

I keep waiting for President Trump to have an in camera hearing where he presents the court with an absolute Grant of Executive Clemency made out in his own name, signed by President Trump on January 19, 2021. Then he presents those present with NDAs because the Grant is classified at code word level.

Now THAT would be an interesting strategy.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Link?

WSJ, April 6, Page A17

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a shit show, either way.

I read originally this was a federal law being tried in a state court with the feds granting jurisdiction.

I only say that once.

If this is state court and state law, I don't see jurisdiction. When I saw this stuff in the past it was the President granting pardons/clemency on federal law.

I am not a lawyer and could definitely be wrong on this.

Any lawyers care to jump in?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Can Biden even do that? Isn't one of the things working against Trump is that he's being charged for federal crimes in a non-federal court? Wouldn't that fall under Gov. Hochul?

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
How can POTUS (even an illegitimate one) grant clemency for a crime that was never committed or one that has no rendered verdict?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
What voters is it going to swing to Biden? His base will be with him anyway. The never Trumpers are going that direction (or stay home). No Trump supporter or true conservative will fall for that.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Brandon’s handlers would NEVER allow him to do that, even if it was feasible and allowable.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Link?

WSJ, April 6, Page A17

https://www.wsj.com/articles/t...od=opinion_lead_pos5

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
OP, you're not wrong. It would function as a forced admission of guilt in many (low-information) voters' eyes, it would allow Biden to tar Trump as a bad guy (and Biden as a magnanimous guy) on the campaign trail, and it would deny Trump the opportunity to show that there's nothing solid behind the charges - and that Trump is therefor the target of a dirty tricks campaign by the Deep Swamp.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post