SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pork Belly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pork Belly Login/Join 
posted
Stood around the meat counter-our go to butcher, too long, the other day.

Some troublemaker came up and asked if they could get pork belly for him too try. Nooo, we won't have to order, we have it in the cooler/freezer.

So dagnabit, please post your suggestions for pork belly. I just got back from vacation at the beach, with a stop at the Beststop in Lafayette. so their cracklins recipe or something similar is already on my mind.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Make bacon and be happy and popular! Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pork belly burnt ends.

Jd

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thick sliced and fry it till browned. Make brown gravy with the drippings and put over smashed boiled potatoes.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Crisp and Unctuous Pork Belly by Adam Perry Lang

Just do this. A whole belly can be cut in half, put in two foil pans and cooked stacked on a Large BGE. The key is crisping it up at the end, which is a do-not-walk-away exercise, but oh so good. I use one of those folding flat mesh grill basket thingies for that.

Seriously, this is incredible.

Done right, it will finish crispier than in his recipe picture. Something more like this:

I guess you could cook less than a whole one. But why?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I put some Kosher salt and course black pepper on it then on the Traeger about 8 - 12 hours set on smoke.

Once finished there, sliced in 1/2 inch thick slices, fried (in a cast iron pan of course), and then as sandwiches with lettuce and tomato. (PBLT sammich)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'll take mine Asian style, please. Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, all of it is good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
DAMN YOU ALL!!

Those pics didn't help either..... Big Grin

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hong Shao Rou on bao. Except I don't simmer mine first, I smoke it, then into the braise. Mmmmm.....

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Crisp and Unctuous Pork Belly by Adam Perry Lang

Just do this. A whole belly can be cut in half, put in two foil pans and cooked stacked on a Large BGE. The key is crisping it up at the end, which is a do-not-walk-away exercise, but oh so good. I use one of those folding flat mesh grill basket thingies for that.

Seriously, this is incredible.

Done right, it will finish crispier than in his recipe picture. Something more like this:

I guess you could cook less than a whole one. But why?

Very interesting I plan on giving this a try. Not sure why you would use the smoker with the pork belly in a pan and covered with foil. It's not getting any benefit of the smoke so I may just use the oven and finish on the smoker.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Smoke it! World needs more bacon.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post