SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    XM/Sirus radio for home?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XM/Sirus radio for home? Login/Join 
posted
Have the xm for both cars. No issues. Billing is smooth.

Not a audio/techie guy but radio stations are lacking where we are.
Any issues with getting a xm set up for the house?
Anything better without getting too app crazy?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Should be able to stream since you already have an account. Just set up some sort of speakers to stream to, like a bluetooth speaker connected to your phone or computer. Easy peasy.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of paying for every device. No streaming service I know of does things that way.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stream it through the XM app on my computer. Sound quality lacks, but I have dirt cheap speakers on the PC. Can also stream Pandora channels on the computer.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nope...I would use Spotify (@ 16.99/Mo. for a Family Plan) and drop Sirius/XM like a bad habit, like yesterday! I can't imagine any way the billing for Sirius/XM is 'smooth' unless you're paying on their terms, which is WAY TOO MUCH!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8952 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
You already have the ability to stream XM/sirus as part of your subscription.
The easiest way is to use the app on a phone or tablet and set up some bluetooth speakers where you need them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Use the app. More channels. Easy. Bluetooth from phone or tablet to a stereo.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5068 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We have Sirius for my wife's car for 5.99/month.
She uses the Sirius AP on her phone and send it to our stereo system with Bluetooth.
It's simple and it works well.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I just canceled Sirius/XM a couple of months ago since I have TIDAL and use TuneIn Radio, in addition to AM and FM radio.

However, I was very satisfied with streaming it at home because of the streaming quality and because of the way more stations available while streamed.

I used to stream it on my bedside streamer speaker, but I mostly listened to it through my Denon AVR using HEOS, and through my main hifi system on occasion.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
We have SiriusXM in our Jeep. My wife uses the app in the house with a Bluetooth speaker. I use the app at work (LE) synced with my cruiser.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I agree with SpinZone. I stream it through the app & added it to my Alexa devices. Works fine.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Sirius/XM in the house and use it all the time. I have mine set up where I just tell Alexa to play whatever channel or team I want to listen to through multiple speaker groups throughout the house. Easy and allows me to set timers to turn it on or off if I want to. Probably not the best speaker audio but awfully convenient.

Posts: 148 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that they are dirty bastards who will screw you given the opportunity. Yes, you can stream it at home on the appropriate device. I popped for a portable unit years ago that I could use at work or in the car, only boy 450 bucks. A year later, they "upgraded" their service and I needed a new device, for 550 bucks. I bought a new truck last year, with the 6 months free. At 5 months they started billing my credit card. Had to resolve it with the bank, not Sirius/XM who were completely unresponsive.

Posts: 17150 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a portable Clarion receiver about 15 years ago off eBay, that I was going to use in my Jeep. Came from an electronics store in NY. It was listed a a demo model. Apparently it had a lifetime subscription, because it still plays. I currently have it hooked up to my home stereo. We have Sirius XM in my wife's car, and pay a ~$24 monthly fee for that. But I also have the phone app (that I bluetooth to an adapter in my truck), and can stream it on my laptop.

Posts: 492 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Radio Paradise is free (contributions requested, but not required), and is ad-free, listen in a browser, or with their app. Very eclectic mix of music, classics and newish stuff, almost guaranteed to hear something you've never heard before in the first hour of listening. I've been a listener even longer than I've been on SF, and they have turned me on to some great music.

Posts: 6510 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post