SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guaranteed Income Programs Spread, City by City
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guaranteed Income Programs Spread, City by City Login/Join 
posted
Some of these funds came from the Covid relief congress gave to the states. Interesting to see the reaction if these programs fizzle out.

https://dnyuz.com/2022/09/10/g...spread-city-by-city/

Early in the pandemic, Alondra Barajas had a temporary job for the Census Bureau, doing phone work from the two-bedroom apartment she shared with her mother and four younger siblings. When that job ended in late 2020, she struggled to find employment.

But Ms. Barajas learned from an ad on Instagram that she might qualify for an unusual form of assistance: monthly payments of $1,000 for a year.

Since she started receiving the funds this year — while caring for her newborn, searching for a job and looking for a new place to stay — her outlook has seemed brighter.

“It’s helped me from hitting rock bottom,” she said.

The payments are part of a pilot program from the city of Los Angeles, one of the nation’s largest experiments with a guaranteed income. The idea is that the best way to close the wealth gap and give people the opportunity to build a more stable life is to provide unrestricted cash payments to some of the most vulnerable Americans.

The concept, sometimes referred to as universal basic income, has had advocates for decades. Andrew Yang made it a centerpiece of his 2020 Democratic presidential campaign. At the same time, detractors have long argued that the approach incentivizes people not to work. Still, it is gaining traction, city by city.

More than 48 guaranteed income programs have been started in cities nationwide since 2020, according to Mayors for a Guaranteed Income, a network of leaders supporting such efforts at the local, state and federal levels. Some efforts are publicly funded, and others have nongovernmental support. Jack Dorsey, the former chief executive of Twitter, donated $18 million to help the initiative.

California has become the epicenter of the movement. The Los Angeles program, funded primarily by the city, benefits 3,200 people who have at least one child, as well as an annual income below the federal poverty level. Several cities have moved ahead with efforts using private money: Oakland pledged to give 600 low-income families $500 for 18 months, and in San Diego, some families with young children will get $500 a month for two years.

Last year, the state set aside $35 million over five years for cities to carry out pilot programs, which can use different criteria, including income level, people leaving the foster care system and residence in low-income neighborhoods. An application process for municipalities to tap into those funds is underway.

Beyond California, 300 Atlanta residents who live below the federal poverty level are receiving $500 a month for a year, and in Minneapolis, 200 residents from designated low-income neighborhoods will receive $500 a month for two years. This fall, 260 people living in motels or emergency shelters in Denver will receive a $6,500 payment and will get an additional $500 a month for 11 months, with payments planned for 560 more people.

More at link

Posts: 12704 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link leads to the NYT. Where is the list?? Maybe it is me, help me out here.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
monthly payments of $1,000 for a year
And take out how much for state & federal taxes?

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Didn't that used to be called public assistance?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Public Assistance is just a classier term for Welfare.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been discussing this with a friend for years.

What happens as robots and automation take over most jobs?

When they get to automate driving, what happens to all the truck drivers and taxi drivers?

What happens when you need 3 people in a fast food place instead of 50?

What happens to the tradesmen when you build a house in a factory robots put it on a trailer and robots unfold it and put it on a foundation.

AI is already writing code.

So much for software engineers.

50 years from now what are the jobs going to be?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since she started receiving the funds this year — while caring for her newborn, searching for a job and looking for a new place to stay — her outlook has seemed brighter.

Good Grief !!! while caring for her newborn

Where is baby daddy? And the money a baby daddy should be bringing in?

Does no one get married anymore?

And, BTW, I am sick and tired of seeing people that I know are on public assitance money all of a sudden having lots and lots of tattos, piercings, nose rings, whatever, and paying for those things. IF you can afford to pay for this sort of shit, you don't need public money to feed and clothe your crotch fruit.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

When they get to automate driving, what happens to all the truck drivers and taxi drivers?

What happens to the tradesmen when you build a house in a factory robots put it on a trailer and robots unfold it and put it on a foundation.

Think of the movie Elysium staring Matt Damon, al tho I think it may be a little bit farther in the future.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have been thinking this for years. On one hand we have the leftists saying we need a basic income due to automation, yet at the same time they want to bring in millions and millions of immigrants. So we are bringing in immigrants so that they can get a basic income? I don't get it, why do we need more people if there will be a massive reduction in jobs?

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:

Robert Heinlein wrote a book in 1938 was wasn't published until 2003, but tackled this topic... "For Us the Living, A comedy of customs"

It describes a futuristic world where due to automation, a "Standard living wage" was given to every person, but certain jobs were available above and beyond the standard "Arts, Tech innovation/repair, medical) but it was only those with a desire to actually do that work that did it resulting in an overall higher quality of work.

Many more sub-themes in that book, I found it interesting and quite entertaining.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a feeling this laziness is fallout from WuFlu ‘free’ assistance handouts. Made people stay home to receive benefits, why work?

The lefties DNA is all over this BS.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted September 12, 2022 05:08 PM Hide Post

Go ask a Luddite that question. Or a typewriter repairman.
No artificial intelligence was needed to figure it out either.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Milton Friedman proposed one as being better than the various programs

B) If we ended all the “war on poverty” programs, and just cut checks, this is already funded - it is simply staggering how much money and effort is wasted on bureaucracy

C) It’s put the millions of rent-seeking bureaucrats into the work force.

Damn near anything is better than a government employee, economically. (Outside of fire, police, military, water and basic research, which can be good civic investments)

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn near anything is better than a government employee, economically. (Outside of fire, police, military, water and basic research, which can be good civic investments)

I would argue that water and basic research should NOT be handled by government. There's a market for those things.
I'll agree that fire, police, and military should be handled by government. (I've heard the arguments against this as well, but I'm not one to watch a house burn because the occupants are late on the fire bill.)

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24141 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post