SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good way to have electronic plugs, and muffs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good way to have electronic plugs, and muffs Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
My ears aren’t the best, anymore - more of a resolution issue than a sensitivity one.

(Amazingly, racing cars, driving tractors/heavy equipment/convertibles, shooting and starting a manufacturing company was not a great combination for hearing preservation…)

I’m lazy enough/it’s hot enough where I shoot, that I just wear muffs while shooting/being an RO.

Otherwise, I prefer to just wear plugs.

Has anyone tried a combo which worked?

Currently, I have electronic plugs, and toss some heavy non-electronic muffs on, but I cannot hear very well with them on. (the highest rated ones I could find.)

Posts: 5744 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I do it the other way. Foamies with slimline Peltor e-muffs on top.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16272 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Normally I wear a pair of Sonic II plugs under Peltor Tac 6S muffs, especially at an indoor range.

The Sonic II plugs are now branded as AcuLife Shooter’s Ear Plugs (Sonic Valve II). I’ve had mine for 30 years.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
At home, shooting on our range, EAR foamies inside Peltor electronic muffs. At classes, electronic plugs (Sportear) inside the same Peltors. Seems to work well for me.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Foamies then electronic peltors. I've been doing that for years, it's been working for me.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The electronic plugs...would they work well with muffs given that they require a loud sonic impulse to shut down the ear canal? Seems like the 25 dB reduction afforded by the muffs would essentially knock down the sonic impulse and the e-plugs would not even sense what energy is expended by the firearm.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I do it the other way. Foamies with slimline Peltor e-muffs on top.

-Rob

Yep the foam does most of the sound reduction. Turn the e-muff volume to max to compensate for the foam, and you get additional sound reduction when shooting.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I’m loving the Axil noise cancelling electronic plugs combined with Comply foam tips. Can put a pair of muffs over that if needed. Most comfortable rifle/shotgun hearing protection, while still being able to carry on a conversation.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post