SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corona Outbreak in National Guard Troops in DC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corona Outbreak in National Guard Troops in DC Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
NG: HALT!
Protestor: Fuck off!
NG: I’m authorized to use deadly force
Protestor: You don’t have any rds.
NG: Cough cough cough cough.....

https://www.military.com/daily...s#Echobox=1610759888

43 National Guard Troops in DC for Inauguration Test Positive for COVID-19

15 Jan 2021
Military.com | By Matthew Cox
As thousands of National Guard troops flood into Washington, D.C., coronavirus cases have spiked among them.

Of the roughly 7,000 Guardsmen currently deployed to the District of Columbia, there are now 43 positive cases of COVID-19, Air Force Capt. Tinashe Machona, spokesman for the D.C. National Guard, said in a statement.

The spike in cases comes as the Pentagon has increased the Guard authorization for inauguration security in D.C. to 25,000, a jump of 10,000 over the past 24 hours.

But the D.C. Guard, which is in command of incoming forces, does not believe that the troops contracted the virus while in the district.

"We are unaware of anyone contracting COVID while on duty here," Machona said in the statement. "The D.C. Guard continues to promote [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] guidelines, which includes social distancing, wearing masks and increased hygiene measures."

Military Times first reported this story.

Each unit commander is responsible for making sure CDC guidelines are followed and that troops are provided personal protective equipment, Machona said in the statement.

"Incoming Guard men and women are screened upon departure from their individual states and upon arrival to the D.C. Armory," Machona said in the statement. "Temperature checks and screen questions are in place. Masks and social distancing are required where the mission allows."

D.C. Guard officials could not immediately answer how many soldiers are under quarantine.

The Pentagon initially authorized up to 6,200 Guard members from Maryland, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania to deploy to D.C. to provide security through Inauguration Day. The move came after Trump supporters escalated a rally into a siege of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 as lawmakers were meeting for the official count of Electoral College votes to affirm President-elect Joe Biden's victory in the Nov. 3 election.

The number grew to an authorization of 15,000 on Monday and then jumped to 21,000 Thursday before National Guard Bureau officials announced Friday that the mission had increased to 25,000 Guard members from all 50 states, three territories and D.C.

-- Matthew Cox can be reached at matthew.cox@military.com.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
So in the middle of a Pandemic there are 43 cases amongst a common population of 7K?

Why was an article written for this and why does it matter?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Because they were bored writing about Xiden's diet and socks

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left/lost my job right next to Union Station and close to the Capitol. I packed up my office last Friday and all roads leading to the capitol by my office were blocked off. Saw some NG troops (I was one 2 decades + ago).

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Because they were bored writing about Xiden's diet and socks

Big Grin

Posts: 26908 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Democrats hosting a super spreader event. Gotta love the irony...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
43 out of 7000-plus? End times, for sure. Yawn.................

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Some of these are apparently high risk individuals.

And who are these warriors? Best of the best of the best, sir. Hoping they don’t need to react to anything much. Kent State redux?

The entire Washington, DC national guard (Camp Guards when I was at Gitmo in 06)
56th Stryker Brigade Combat Team (Pennsylvania Bloody Buckets… lots of combat tours… ‘heavy armor’ if you consider Stryker trucks to be ‘heavy’)
Troop B of the 102nd Cavalry Regiment (negative info on them… wiki sez they’re a No-Go at any real deployments.)
1-114th Infantry Regiment (Joisey Guard, No-Go no deployments)
508th Military Police Company (Another No-Go Joisey Unit)
229th Military Police Company (Kuwait Defense 1990, doubt if any of them are still there… a No-Go Virginia unit)
153rd Military Police Company (Delaware NG, A single tour in 07-08 in Iraq)
102nd Military Police Battalion (NY NG…a No-Go unit w/zero deployments)
104th Military Police Battalion (NY Guard, No-Go NY no deployments)
229th Brigade Engineer Battalion (Virginia Guard, lots of deployments, in a non-combat role)
160th Engineer Company (Delaware Guard, construction, couldn’t find intel on deployments… thin k these are the guys doing the fencing/blockades)
261st Theater Tactical Signal Brigade (Command and Control unit, one tour at my old base Victory in Iraq in 08-09)
198th Expeditionary Signal Battalion (Delaware NG, VSAT and comms unit…one company in South Carolina which DID deploy once in 13-14 to Kandahar)
1049th Transportation Company (Aviation trans… couple here’n there… ass and trash)
262nd Component Repair Company (you break it, they fix it, No-Go on deployments… to me, this means they expect to need to repair shit right then and there as opposed to waiting til they get home)
108th Wing (Refueling and Air-Recon Unit, multiple deployments)
177th Fighter Wing. (Air to Air F-16 Air defense… what the fuck do they need them for?)
105th Airlift Wing (Air Trans)
174th Attack Wing (Drones… lots and lots of drones… Predators, intel-gatherers… BAD juju)
166th Security Forces Squadron. (Security for the planes, lots of deployments)

https://bigcountryexpatorigina...qFE0Y_9mngmnFzMucCso

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
So in the middle of a Pandemic there are 43 cases amongst a common population of 7K?

Why was an article written for this and why does it matter?

And when did trump supporters escalate a rally into a siege?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were handed a Crisis which they turned into an Opportunity:

quote:
Rahm Emanuel: You never want a serious crisis to go to waste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yeA_kHHLow

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Feersum I’m not sure I’m comprehending the point of your post and I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt here that you are not berating those soldiers who are in the National Guard, many, like my son, have seen multiple deployments downrange....

Now, as to those who have Covid, I can tell you that the VANG troops that were deployed to DC which number between 2000 to 2500 over 50 of them have come down with Covid, including my son. The process for him involved being called up to the VANG headquarters in Staunton. There everyone got a rapid test which he passed. After arriving in DC they were given the full test and that’s when he came out positive even though he felt fine. He is currently being held in quarantine in one of DC’s better hotels until later this week when he should be out of quarantine.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
My point is that the NG troops in DC appear to be those that willing Governors (VA, NY, NJ, DE seem to have answered this call)have sent, not a planned selection of combat hardened units - this is a far cry from the 82nd Airborne showing up to clamp down, coup, or much else than be a show of force. If it was truly lock down, you’d think they’d have gotten all MP units.

The fact that they seem to have 0 planning for quartering these folks is totally inexcusable. Sleeping on the floor and eating MREs in close quarters is no way to manage their health and well being.

The contrast between how the government elite exist, and what they expect NG to do - on short notice, I’m sure, orders to show up and deploy to DC and camp out until further notice, is typical.

I’d be interested to hear what your son’s unit has communicated. Have any of the governors that ordered deployment sent a “WTF?” Message to whomever purports to be in charge?

I’m not saying they need to be put up in the Hilton between shifts. But hot food and somewhere to “socially distance” while off-duty would seem to be the minimum. Unless all that is just smoke and mirrors for the plebes, and/or, they just don’t give a shit about the troops, or both.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shouldn’t they all be social workers instead?

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Feersum is spot on. This group of soldiers frankly look pathetic. I don't blame them. I blame their leadership. Kurt Schlichter had a few choice words on his opinion on these NG troops. Sleeping on the damn marble floors? Wtf?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The corona is and always will be a selected crisis.

This is what unity looks like in utopia.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'd be sick too.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sux that these Troopers are sent up in the 1st place and then being forced to make DC a "Green Zone" much less being exposed and getting the Chinese Virus for a bunch of crooks. It's a no-brainer that the fix is in and the Left is running scared.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes zero sense to have 25000 troops in DC and to lock it down like a war zone. What a pathetic site to see. Funny that in general, dems hate thee military and the police but as said earlier ... always take advantage of a crisis. The most disgusting to me was the pic of NP doing whatever she was doing in front of a lineup of troops. Made me want to puke.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Call me dense but I don’t see the point of all these troops for what Joe and the Ho said was going to be a virtual inauguration.

What is supposed to happen? Whom are they protecting?

Putting up barriers topped with razor wire is a sure sign that you have the support of the people.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Call me dense but I don’t see the point of all these troops for what Joe and the Ho said was going to be a virtual inauguration.

What is supposed to happen? Whom are they protecting?

Putting up barriers topped with razor wire is a sure sign that you have the support of the people.
It’s all political fanfare.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post