SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to sell 30 firearms?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to sell 30 firearms? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
A buddy of mine's uncle has passed away. He has about x30 firearms (most super common stuff / nothing fancy).

What would be the easiest way for the family to move these firearms to get money for the family? They'd like a one stop shop if possible versus trying to gun show or manage gunbroker / GunsAmerica auctions them selves.

Edit to add: Family is in Ashville, NC if that helps. If we happen to have a local FFL on the board.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Sell to trusted friends and acquaintances off the grid. I wouldn’t breathe a word more about it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Quick sell, likely less $, I'd guess just about any LGS.
Slower sell, more $, list somewhere like here
Surely a third option out there, too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quick sell, likely less $, I'd guess just about any LGS.
Slower sell, more $, list somewhere like here
Surely a third option out there, too.

Third option would be consignment.

It sounds like the family doesn't know much about guns and doesn't care to keep them.
But to maximize results, a trusted friend [maybe you] could sell the better ones individually rather than taking an offer for the lot.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24157 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Do they have other things to sell for the Estate? if so then find an estate sale organization that will handle firearms, they will sell off the odds and ends of the estate, cars, furniture, painting/art, guns, collections etc.

Otherwise did the Uncle have any friends that were close, went shooting with him, was he a member of a club/range see if they will sell off his firearms for him by listing them for sale.

Otherwise, a good gun shop will buy them but at a huge discount, probably 50% or less of what they are worth.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are FFL's that specialize in that. They research the arms and post them on auction sites. They receive a commission that is a percentage of what is earned so their interest parallel the seller. They pretty much handle everything, and the seller gets a check.
I would think this would be better than the local pawn shop, but not as good as finding close relatives to give them to.

Make it count

Posts: 1415 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
There are FFL's that specialize in that. They research the arms and post them on auction sites. They receive a commission that is a percentage of what is earned so their interest parallel the seller. They pretty much handle everything, and the seller gets a check.
I would think this would be better than the local pawn shop, but not as good as finding close relatives to give them to.

good advice

I'm a FFL/SOT that specializes in Milsurps and Estates,
however your friend is a bit far from me to help out

re the others, shop around the local FFL's, there may be someone near that does the same,

or online, LS&B mostly on Gunbroker) or Jack the Dog (gun auctions.com IIRC) both have good reps online,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
My brother in law is a gun store owner here in my area and he will buy entire collections like you mention. I think his biggest purchases was over 100 firearms.

OF course, the bigger and nicer collection, the bigger the investment that is needed upfront, so your average gun shop may not be able to help out with the entire collection in one transaction, but it is worth a few phone calls to check. Start with the bigger and nicer independent shops that seem to have a lot of inventory (as opposed to the little guy who just orders things as customers come in looking for them).

Good luck.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
You've already posted on a public forum so ignore those telling you to do it illegally. You have to use an FFL now but find someone like Dury's in San Antonio. They'll buy the collection. You could try Rock Island auction company.

Why you need an FFL

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check for local auction houses that have an FFL.

Posts: 187 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Thanks for some of the advice. I have found a local auction house that's going to call me back. They do have a FFL. So that'll be a possible option.

Family doesn't' want them. Sounds like weird political stuff with who want's the money / guns. I'm just trying to give them a option where they can find a one stop shop to drop them off. Then collect the money when they sell.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Asheville is a very liberal enclave.

If they were to drive to a place like Shelby, NC, to the local gun store, it might be better financially.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I had to handle a sale like this with 30-40 guns a few years ago. I had Robert Burke ship them all to a FFL here on SigForum and he sold them all. I was dealing with a wife whose husband had recently passed. She was up a creek financially because of this, had to sell the family home, so I, Robert, and David here on the forum stepped in to help her. IMO best to ship to someone who can sell them all for the family.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
You’d be shock how well guns sell on estate sales or via auction. People go ga ga over it. There is a local auction house…I watch the gun auctions and even bid a few times… stuff always go for astronomical prices. Even the pedestrian stuff.

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Not Sure in your Area. But an Estate auction with guns brings a crowd. And from i have seen at auctions even common guns go for stupid high prices .

Posts: 1605 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
Not Sure in your Area. But an Estate auction with guns brings a crowd. And from i have seen at auctions even common guns go for stupid high prices .

Hit the nail on the head. Constantly I see used, run of the mill handguns, shotguns, and rifles, bring above what you can buy the same model for new.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Email sent

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done this several times for various reasons.
My recommendation is to consign then to an auction house that specializes in firearms for auction. While most places take 20% or so, they usually advertise nationally and get absolutely the best price possible in most cases.
In a lot of cases, I have seen even garden variety guns get top dollar, often close to what a brand new one would cost.
I have a local auction house in AZ that is my go to. Every time I have used them I have easily gotten more out of the gun than I paid for it. In some cases much more. I have done this with a hundred guns or so over the years, and only broke even on one.
Easier way for the family. Deliver guns to auction house ( in many cases the auction house will come to you to pick up) they take care of advertising, collecting payment shipping ffl and all the rest

Posts: 3298 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Email sent

Thanks for your time today!

This place is awesome. Why I keep coming back. So many generous members willing to help out their "imaginary internet friends".

posted Hide Post
How about this.
Offer him $4,500.00 for all thirty.

Once in your possession,you undertake the pains taking task of selling them.

After ninty days you give him the rest of the money.

You can either give him the total balance.
Or
Keep a piece or four
As payment for your hard work.
Or
Keep some money and sell all of the guns in exchange for you time and trouble.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54680 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post