SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best / Suggestions for a NON high Efficient washing machine ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best / Suggestions for a NON high Efficient washing machine ?? Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Did some searching here , but most threads are for HE washers, I am looking of a basic no frills, washer that has decent capacity , or better yet, which ones to avoid !

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have the Maytag 3.5-cu ft Commercial-Grade Residential. Analog dials, full tub of water, gets things clean, and it sounds like a washing machine should. The only downside is the capacity. You won't be washing any king sized comforter in it and a queen would be just barely doable. For clothes though it's outstanding.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20742 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The traditional SigForum rec for non-HE, non-computer-gizmo laundry machines is Speed Queen.

They are made in Wisconsin and most of their machines are the old school dumb (in the not-computery sense) ones with big knobs and physical push buttons (they do now make one with a screen and soft buttons).

My mom bought a set and has been very pleased.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We replaced the annoying HE washer about a year ago. It was a toss-up between the type that Skins chose, and the traditional type Speed Queen.

The Speed Queen was just a bit more, but there were no Maytags in stock locally at the time, so we went with the Speed Queen.

It works just fine, and based on its reputation, I really don't expect any repairs for a long time, if at all.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
The traditional SigForum rec for non-HE, non-computer-gizmo laundry machines is Speed Queen.

They are made in Wisconsin and most of their machines are the old school dumb (in the not-computery sense) ones with big knobs and physical push buttons (they do now make one with a screen and soft buttons).

Alliance Laundry, the parent company of Speed Queen used to be located about 50 miles down the road from me in Marianna, FL, and I did a LOT of work at that plant. I don't remember which politician, but a few years back a politician running for office in WI promised to bring a bunch of jobs to the area. Not sure how the affiliation worked out (he was associated with Alliance somehow), but Alliance shut down their nearby plant, and moved it in its entirety to WI. 28 flatbeds and trailer loads of equipment... Lost all those jobs locally to the yanks. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

This.

The wife does not like the high-efficiency washers. Got her a Speed Queen a couple of years ago. It is no frills, but works like a champ.

Happy wife. Happy life. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6364 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Get this Maytag.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43797 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
not funny lol

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Alliance Laundry, the parent company of Speed Queen used to be located about 50 miles down the road from me in Marianna, FL, and I did a LOT of work at that plant. I don't remember which politician, but a few years back a politician running for office in WI promised to bring a bunch of jobs to the area. Not sure how the affiliation worked out (he was associated with Alliance somehow), but Alliance shut down their nearby plant, and moved it in its entirety to WI. 28 flatbeds and trailer loads of equipment... Lost all those jobs locally to the yanks. Wink

I don't know about parent company shenanigans, but Speed Queen claims to have been in Ripon, Wisconsin since 1908.

https://speedqueen.com/the-spe...ce/american-quality/

Serious question, Texas isn't particularly southern. Does Wisconsin count as Yanks?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
We have one of these with the stupid disk agitator and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

My wife got it because the reviews were "great", but I'll tell you that half the shit we put in it doesn't even get wet.

What a pile of unmitigated crap.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9141 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
We have one of these with the stupid disk agitator and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

My wife got it because the reviews were "great", but I'll tell you that half the shit we put in it doesn't even get wet.

What a pile of unmitigated crap.

High efficiency top loaders take the worst features of both types of washing machines and combine them in creative new ways.

Years ago I had a really expensive Fisher and Paykel HE top loader and it was terrible.

posted Hide Post
we owned LG, Samsung, Ge top load.

This year I broke down and bought the classic speed queen series. There is an eco tab you can turn it too, but I don't bother.

I don't think anyone does. It is the same machine other than that stupid eco tab as it had been since the '80s.

We bought the dryer first, then our washer went tits up two weeks later. I picked up the washer, fixed the old one, and gifted it to a friend.

We picked up the TC5 and DC5 (washer and dryer respectively.)

https://speedqueen.com/products/all-products/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If I was buying today, I'd *look* at GE and as well as Speed Queen. In late '04 I needed new machines immediately, went to a big box, and got the brand name which would fit down the basement steps of this c.1926 row house. GE Heavy Duty Super Capacity Plus 15-cycle 3 Wash / Spin Speed Combinations washer & a GE 6 Clothes Care Cycles - Extra Large Capacity dryer.

They got me with all of the trigger words. It was a mechanical timer, and other than the washer hose leaking once, they've given me no issues. About $550 or $600 for the pair delivered, 17 years ago.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
We purchased a Speed Queen TC5 about six months ago. It gets clothes clean and does so in a short time compared to the front load washer it replaced. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 3228 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maytag

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know about parent company shenanigans, but Speed Queen claims to have been in Ripon, Wisconsin since 1908.

https://speedqueen.com/the-spe...ce/american-quality/

Serious question, Texas isn't particularly southern. Does Wisconsin count as Yanks?
As far as I know, the the Speed Queen plant in Ripon manufactures residential equipment. The plant in Marianna was primarily medium/large commercial equipment (think hotels, cruise ships, prisons, on premise systems...) so it was the larger units. When I first stated working with them back in the 90's they were actually owned by UniMac, were subsequently purchased by Raytheon, and later by Alliance. Speed Queen stuff is pretty solid whether it's residential or commercial, if I was looking, that's what I'd buy. I've worked on a lot of the equipment they use to manufacture them.

As for WI counting as yanks, I live in AL and that's south of the Mason-Dixon, sooo... Regardless, I was actually born in MT, so what do I know. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey

I spent plenty of time watching my Grandma use an antique Maytag. She used lye soap and got my underwear super white. I can still remember the smell.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I know, the the Speed Queen plant in Ripon manufactures residential equipment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The town features Ripon College founded in 1851 and is the birthplace of the Republican Party.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We purchased this GE top-loader with traditional agitator with dial controls (and its matching dryer) to replace a ~25 year old Kenmore W/D set.

We have an active four-person household and it runs at least one load per day and often two.

It does a nice job of doing what it's supposed to do and has been trouble-free thus far (dang, I just jinxed myself).

We also looked at the S-Q’s with the ‘preferred’ HD transmissions, and at about twice the cost and smaller capacity of the GE we could not justify the price of getting the S-Q.

Posts: 3462 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Note the TC is the classic version of the Speed Queen and you never use the Normal mode, just the others. The Normal mode is the eco one that gets it to meet some government regs. They wash great. They are loud like all the old ones.

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post