SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living With Coyotes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living With Coyotes Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We don't have a cat (though we would like one) because of the coyotes. Even though we have 6ft no climb fencing around 5 of our 6 acres, the cats can still get out. There's no way we could keep a cat indoors with a dog door big enough for an Irish Wolfhound. The coyotes cannot get in through the fencing. Even with the fencing, we can hear the coyotes trying to lure one of dogs to them (all of our dogs are much bigger than coyotes). That is one of their hunting techniques, using a single animal to lure a much bigger prey animal back to the pack, where they can pack up on it.

We live near train tracks that see good traffic. Every time the whistle blows, the coyotes all over the surrounding desert howl, and one of our dogs responds in kind. Smile

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
They pretty much have expanded their range to the entire US. I live in a house in downtown east Boca Raton, but we have parks, trees, wooded areas and have spotted coyotes on many nights prowling around.

The hammock at the end of my street had a huge stray cat population. That is no longer the case - we started spotting the coyotes and shortly after fewer and fewer cats.

We get possum, foxes, lizards and gators in my backyard - but my dog kills / chases pretty much everything out. At 60 lbs he is not a target for 1 coyote but if we ever start seeing packs (only have ever seen 1-2) we will need to start being more careful.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't mind coyotes, but I don't mind shooting them either. They are as common as dirt.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carry something that will make noise or scare the animal, such as a small air horn, big water pistol, solid walking stick, golf club or paintball gun.

Few .40 caliber rounds in it's rib cage should also be loud enough to scare it.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:

...Carry something that will make noise...

In my case that is a gun...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I shoot them until the barrel heat interferes with the termal NV.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34126 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
The SPLC and other extremists have prevented the open hunting of coyotes in a 5 county area in eastern NC. Now they have expanded to the Outer Banks are documented killing sea turtles and shore birds in the national park. Enviro-intervention hardly ever works as planned.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Just saw one slink across the back corner of the yard. It looked well fed. In spite of all the rabbits that live here they never linger.

Posts: 9975 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Kill all you want, they'll make more.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I see them nightly when I sit out in the back yard, have for years. CPD shot and killed a Mountain Lion near here a few years back.Foxes are common and deer are everywhere.
You don't have to be in the country to see wild life anymore

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
The SPLC and other extremists have prevented the open hunting of coyotes in a 5 county area in eastern NC. Now they have expanded to the Outer Banks are documented killing sea turtles and shore birds in the national park. Enviro-intervention hardly ever works as planned.

[thread drift] when I was stationed in cape Hatteras, I used to ride with the park rangers at night and "deter" ahem, the feral cat population to keep them from killing sea birds. The requirement was that I bring a box of CCI stingers..we swapped off driving the trucks and ,ahem couch cough, "deterring" the cats.
[/drift]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
..."deter" ahem, the feral cat ...

No need to deter them now, the yotes have taken care of that. OBX used to be (in)famous for the huge feral cat colonies, not so now.

So how does the SPLC et al explain away that the birds they have gone to extremes to protect are being eaten by the coyotes they have gone to extremes to protect?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
..."deter" ahem, the feral cat ...

No need to deter them now, the yotes have taken care of that. OBX used to be (in)famous for the huge feral cat colonies, not so now.

So how does the SPLC et al explain away that the birds they have gone to extremes to protect are being eaten by the coyotes they have gone to extremes to protect?

How dare you inject logic into the equation.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post